Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: emofeng
Diamond benefit as of Dec 28, 2018
  • $50 benefit ($25/pp; max 2) toward food, can be used on room service or at any food outlet. This can be used toward breakfast but there is no specific breakfast benefit.
  • Noon checkout
  • Space available upgrade; one category. Room to suite is ineligible, regardless of category booked (as of 09/2019)
Cost of valet parking: $70 (as of 09/28/2023)

Print Wikipost

Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yes, hotels have discretion as to how many rooms in a category they make available at standard award rates. That's how this works. You tried to book after those rooms were booked. This is not a situation where non-ADA rooms are not *ever* available-- they are widely available at the standard rate until other people book them. Some in this thread just seem to think if a $900 room is not available at a low points rate when they book a room close in, that means shenanigans.

They allocate a certain number of regular superior rooms, and also of ADA rooms. The former get sold out more quickly. The hotel has no problem changing your room if you book the latter because the former is unavailable. Of all the hotel "practices" to get exorcised about, this seems a strange one.
I'm well aware how properties allocate award inventory across the major programs, what the program rules allow them to do, and the games some properties play to avoid making standard awards available.

This property's practices fall at the aggressive end of the gaming scale. Not in the same category as Andaz Maui, to take probably the best (worst) example, but IMO definitely bad enough to qualify for a hall of shame nomination.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Truth be told I think they are guilty as sin with their shenanigans
Several months out and there are still slim pickings on a few days if your lucky
Honest question, what properties at a similar caliber, price point, desirability, etc of the WA BH that can be had a few months out with a free night cert/points?
Old May 27, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I saw 95k space (the ADA room) open within a day or two of my arrival dates, but I had given up on this property and already booked at Oceana LXR.

The biggest issues I have with this property's award availability practices are (1) making the ADA room the primary 95k room, and (2) doing only limited, discretionary releases of the Superior room at 95k level.
I don't really mind ADA rooms per se, they tend to be spacious (albeit with low closets and counters). It's a weird practice on this WA's part, though. The middle night I snagged is actually the 2 Queen Superior, while the other two are 1 King ADA. I just called and the rep was very friendly. Though he could not harmonize my bookings to one non-ADA room type, he said they'd make every effort ahead of my arrival. Hopefully in practice that will mean an upgrade as Diamond to 1 King Deluxe or Terrace.

Reviews of Oceana seem fairly uneven, though it makes more sense if you're trying to maximize your time by the coast.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Just finished a phenomenal stay using a free night certificate. I booked approximately 10 weeks out, and there was availability at 95k for the base Two Queen room, and the ADA Queen room, and the ADA King room. The phone agent said she would put in the note that 1 king was preferred.

The app informed me I was upgraded to a deluxe King room. (I think the difference is just higher floors and thus views). At check in around 230, the room wasn't ready, but they were super apologetic, and offered to bring me the keys anywhere on the property. Was less than 30 minutes.

The room was stunning and immaculate, and the views of the Beverly Hills incredible-- particularly at sunset.

I had more interaction with staff than usual but all of it was extraordinarily pleasant. Gym requires reservations, available in one hour blocks. Both times I called, it was no problem. The gym, like the rest of the property, was immaculate. No one seemed to be monitoring Reservation compliance but the max capacity of 6 wasn't exceeded.

The pool is beautiful and friendly staff. No reservations required

limited F&b currently. Even though opentable had no reservations for JG Rooftop, the hotel staff got me one and it was a lovely albeit pricey dinner. The reservation had been for 2 so, as a diamond, I got $50 f&b credit that covered a good chunk of my dinner and was applied overnight no problem. For breakfast, walked 3 minutes to Starbucks.

Didn't use the courtesy car but it was there.

Late checkout was proactively offered, though 1pm was the latest.
Would put it in one of the top 5 hotels I've stayed at, particularly in the U.S.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm just rambling about a dilemma I'm having, maybe someone can tell me I'm right or wrong (I'm sure there is no one answer).

When we are in LA we are going to be spending time around Universal Studios, going to not only there, but also the Warner Bros. studios, Hollywood Museum...the whole old Hollywood touristy circuit.

The logical place to stay is the Hilton Universal on top of the hill. I'll be using a FNC.

My dilemma is...is that a waste? I could drive further and stay at the W-A BH for the same certificate. But given LA traffic it would be a slog. However, MUCH nicer hotel.

I guess I'm looking for opinions whether using your certificate for the "best use" or the "most best from a getting value standpoint use" makes the most sense.

There is nothing we care about in Beverly Hills, other than the hotel.

I'm just obsessed with FOMO right now.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm just rambling about a dilemma I'm having, maybe someone can tell me I'm right or wrong (I'm sure there is no one answer).

When we are in LA we are going to be spending time around Universal Studios, going to not only there, but also the Warner Bros. studios, Hollywood Museum...the whole old Hollywood touristy circuit.

The logical place to stay is the Hilton Universal on top of the hill. I'll be using a FNC.

My dilemma is...is that a waste? I could drive further and stay at the W-A BH for the same certificate. But given LA traffic it would be a slog. However, MUCH nicer hotel.

I guess I'm looking for opinions whether using your certificate for the "best use" or the "most best from a getting value standpoint use" makes the most sense.

There is nothing we care about in Beverly Hills, other than the hotel.

I'm just obsessed with FOMO right now.
If you're planning on doing all that, I assume you are doing more than one night total, no? Where are you flying into? If LAX, day of arrival can head to the Waldorf, then next day up to Hollywood and Universal City.
if you're doing all that in one day (or two) you'd spend such little time at the Waldorf , it wouldn't be worth the schlep.
​​​​​
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:40 pm

Yes, it really does make more sense to stay at Universal. I knew that. As I said, just mulling.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think I'd look at it from the perspective of "what will make our stay most enjoyable." If staying at a 5* will tick that box, go with W/A. If you'll just wind up regretting the extra time spent fighting traffic, go with Hilton Universal.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:20 pm

A bit OT but if you’re not looking to burn a FNC, have you thought about visiting Magic Castle? Magic Castle has reopened and it’s very old Hollywood. I believe you can still gain access with a Hilton paid stay.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think I'd look at it from the perspective of "what will make our stay most enjoyable." If staying at a 5* will tick that box, go with W/A. If you'll just wind up regretting the extra time spent fighting traffic, go with Hilton Universal.
Agree.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
A bit OT but if you’re not looking to burn a FNC, have you thought about visiting Magic Castle? Magic Castle has reopened and it’s very old Hollywood. I believe you can still gain access with a Hilton paid stay.
Really? I had no idea! Many years ago when we lived near LA we had a friend who was a member who hosted us a few times, and we always had a wonderful time. I'd love to do it again.

However, we won't be on a "paid stay" so probably not? But thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Just finished a phenomenal stay using a free night certificate. I booked approximately 10 weeks out, and there was availability at 95k for the base Two Queen room, and the ADA Queen room, and the ADA King room. The phone agent said she would put in the note that 1 king was preferred.

The app informed me I was upgraded to a deluxe King room. (I think the difference is just higher floors and thus views). At check in around 230, the room wasn't ready, but they were super apologetic, and offered to bring me the keys anywhere on the property. Was less than 30 minutes.

The room was stunning and immaculate, and the views of the Beverly Hills incredible-- particularly at sunset.

I had more interaction with staff than usual but all of it was extraordinarily pleasant. Gym requires reservations, available in one hour blocks. Both times I called, it was no problem. The gym, like the rest of the property, was immaculate. No one seemed to be monitoring Reservation compliance but the max capacity of 6 wasn't exceeded.

The pool is beautiful and friendly staff. No reservations required

limited F&b currently. Even though opentable had no reservations for JG Rooftop, the hotel staff got me one and it was a lovely albeit pricey dinner. The reservation had been for 2 so, as a diamond, I got $50 f&b credit that covered a good chunk of my dinner and was applied overnight no problem. For breakfast, walked 3 minutes to Starbucks.

Didn't use the courtesy car but it was there.

Late checkout was proactively offered, though 1pm was the latest.
Would put it in one of the top 5 hotels I've stayed at, particularly in the U.S.
IMO one of best thing about this property is that the “base” room you can get with a free night or on points is great for a single or a couple (usually a spacious room with a balcony) and you get access to the same great service, $50 a day food credit (but who knows if this changes with Hilton’s new policy), property amenities, etc. It is actually a great value to redeem 95,000 Hilton points or a free weekend night at the property.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:44 pm

Does the hotel still offer a car ride service? Is there a cost? How far will they take you? Will they come pick you up?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Dave
Old Jun 14, 2021, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Does the hotel still offer a car ride service? Is there a cost? How far will they take you? Will they come pick you up?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Dave
There is still a complimentary "house car" within the local area- 3 mile radius. They will pick you up
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:33 pm

What happened to July? They had availability for every day last night? Points and cash show mostly sole out now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.