Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh Downtown {US-PA}

Embassy Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh Downtown {US-PA}

Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We have just dipped our toes into Uber recently (on the urging of our kids), how would you say that would be for a compromise to get from place to place in the city?
I would think that this would be the best option given the needs you have listed. It is omnipresent, transparent (e.g. you can see where the driver is when on their way), and generally safe and reliable (no more issues on average than the outliers you would see with rental car agencies, transit, taxis, etc.). It would take a LOT of uber trips to even approach the rental car / parking cost you mentioned above.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I would think that this would be the best option given the needs you have listed. It is omnipresent, transparent (e.g. you can see where the driver is when on their way), and generally safe and reliable (no more issues on average than the outliers you would see with rental car agencies, transit, taxis, etc.). It would take a LOT of uber trips to even approach the rental car / parking cost you mentioned above.
That's my thinking, too. Especially since several of the things we're doing are within walking distance of the ES, we wouldn't be using any kind of transit at all on some days. Could use a combination of Uber and public transportation on other days.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Thank you so much for your insights. We also like the convenience (and safety) of just driving to where we want to go. But $550 for a rental car plus $38/nt parking is a tough pill for 5 nights. Not that we "can't" pay it, it just is the most expensive car rental we've had to deal with lately (post Covid). On the other hand, it would enable us to make a day trip out of the city to....where? Falling Water?

We have just dipped our toes into Uber recently (on the urging of our kids), how would you say that would be for a compromise to get from place to place in the city?
Uber can add up really quick; I used it from the airport and back and once in the city for a short stay last year, and it would have been cheaper for me to get a rental car and pay for parking at the hotel. But in your case, just staying locally it could be OK and cheaper than that high rate. Any other Priceline options or something for the car? Car rates tend to fluctuate a lot.

You mentioned Fallingwater. I'd highly recommend a visit if you haven't been. It'd be a great escape from the city and a good use of having a car. The Turnpike can be annoying these days but it's worth the drive out there. Special place.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:44 am

Thanks. I think we are going to rent the car after all. I went back and looked again at the bus routings to where we want to go, and parking outside the doors really would be easier on our old legs.

The other thing, and this might sound crazy to some, but on our last day our flight doesn't leave until late, so we're going to head west and cross the border into West Virginia - a missing state on the list for both of us.

And you're right about car rental prices dropping when closer in. I'll keep an eye on that.

The other thing is that my father was born in Pittsburgh, and I would like to try and track down the area where he grew up. A car would make that a lot easier.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I stayed at this property several weeks ago, in terms of car rental vs uber: We drove to the hotel from NY and parked the car with the hotel. (There are cheaper options if you put some effort into it, but tbh the valet made things easier for us.) We did not use the car at all, there are a number of restaurants/etc within walking or uber distance. That said, for destinations like Fallingwater a car will make things easier. One option might be to rent a car for only one day (or maybe two), and cluster everything car-centric (and too far to Uber) together.

More generally, here are some notes I've been meaning to post...

If I hadn't found this thread I wouldn't have known the hotel is already ~7 years old, it's mostly holding up well with some minor wear and tear if you look closely enough. The hotel occupies floors 2 and 14-25 of the building, with offices taking the remaining floors. The Front Desk is on 25, along with breakfast, a bar, the gym, and a pool. I couldn't get a mobile key without visiting the front desk, but I was given the room I requested on the app. Once enabled, mobile key mostly worked, but I'd definitely keep a physical backup. (It was particularly flaky in the elevators.)

The hotel is shaped like an E. There are a couple of rooms immediately adjacent to the elevators (at the tip of the middle "pier" of the E) that I'd probably avoid due to noise, but they do have nice views of downtown and maybe the water (depending on floor and room). I'd also probably try to avoid the interior rooms furthest from the ends of the piers as they get less light. They will have less street noise, though, and the ones on the outer piers will have less hallway noise.

Valet parking is $38/night, and includes in/out privileges. There are other unaffiliated garages nearby, but there's no self parking at the hotel. There was construction in the area that makes driving to the hotel slightly annoying, when using GPS to get here you want to come from Sixth Avenue so you're on the same side of the street as the hotel entrance.

The staff have generally been good to great. When the door lock stopped working, maintenance came up immediately to swap out the batteries. Other requests were handled reasonably promptly.

There was chopped pineapple at breakfast, though not every day.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:21 pm

Thanks for the tips. I always ask for a quiet room and I'd rather have quiet than a view/lots of light in the middle of a city. We had a room at a hotel in New Orleans near Bourbon Street which can get very noisy - it literally faced a wall and we love it.

Of course our priorities change when we're on an island somewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.