Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Back to back nights at different rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I reserved one night at a great price. But then needed another night (first). This bumped up both nights much higher.

What if I reserved one at the higher price, then another, separate reservation for the second night at the lower price?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I reserved one night at a great price. But then needed another night (first). This bumped up both nights much higher.

What if I reserved one at the higher price, then another, separate reservation for the second night at the lower price?
Yep, always check and make multiple res if it will save you money. Rarely you might have to switch rooms, but it's often worth it for the savings.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Yep, always check and make multiple res if it will save you money. Rarely you might have to switch rooms, but it's often worth it for the savings.
They wouldn't make me pay the higher rate at check-in, since the more expensive room is first?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

They wouldn't make me pay the higher rate at check-in, since the more expensive room is first?
No. It's two separate res. The only drawback is the slim possibility you have to switch rooms for the second night.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
???
I'm not sure what you mean. You will know your rate for both nights if you make two reservations, one for the first night and one for the second night. They can't change the rate you booked for the first night just because you happen to have another reservation for the following night.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
???
I'm not sure what you mean. You will know your rate for both nights if you make two reservations, one for the first night and one for the second night. They can't change the rate you booked for the first night just because you happen to have another reservation for the following night.
I thought they might frown upon it because it would be gaming the system, but since you all agree it's ok 2 separate reservations it shall be. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: Qantas FF
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
???
To be honest, they probably could if it was in their T&Cs (and may well be).

But probably the person handling the check-in doesn't care :-) I read a thread recently where the check-in agent noticed and just auto-checked them into the same room both days - and others where you have to be out by 10 and back in at 3pm like a normal room.

Can go either way.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by lathiat
To be honest, they probably could if it was in their T&Cs (and may well be).

But probably the person handling the check-in doesn't care :-) I read a thread recently where the check-in agent noticed and just auto-checked them into the same room both days - and others where you have to be out by 10 and back in at 3pm like a normal room.

Can go either way.
It's not. I've done this many many many times. The stays do combine into one for purposes of stay credit (that is in the t and c's).
The only issue is with those trying to game the system by booking a suite or other premium room the first night and then a standard room the second night in hopes the property will just let them stay in the premium room the second night. There have been a few recent threads with people trying to do this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:06 pm

I've done it quite a few times and luckily I've never been asked to switch rooms. Once they said they could only upgrade me for one night and then I'd have to switch rooms. But I just declined the upgrade and was kept in the same room.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I sometimes book on separate reservations but always the same room type.
I don't feel like I'm gaming the system.
I always mention at check-in that I have more than one reservation and they sort it out.

This thread made me look at an upcoming stay I have (3 nights, 2 reservations) and to my dismay I saw that I have booked different room types - first two nights deluxe room, last night standard room.
It's not sitting well with me as this does look a bit like gaming the system which was not my intention.

Should I just mention the second reservation at check-in as I usually do or should I e-mail the hotel beforehand and explain?

I am Diamond so it shouldn't be a big issue to upgrade the third night to a deluxe room (Venice - off-season) but the problem is if they upgrade my first two nights.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Similar scenario with me last week at the Waldorf in London, booked queen guest room and decided ( a day before I arrived) to book an extra night......first night was preupgraded to exec , second night wasn't.
At check in I explained and they let me keep the exec room for both nights.

Forgot to mention, first night cheap on cash and points - second night £214

Last edited by wizla; Nov 1, 2016 at 9:12 am Reason: Additional information added
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:15 am

I thought they might frown upon it because it would be gaming the system, but since you all agree it's ok 2 separate reservations it shall be. Thanks.
How is it gaming the system? Unless you think finding a cheap rate is gaming the system?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:19 am

It's not gaming the system. It's playing their silly game better than them.

I almost always book separate reservations for the flexibility and can't remember having to move rooms. You will have no issue at check in!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I always check all combination of nights when on a multiple-night stay. Properties may have min/max length-of-stay rates available. They play other games of averaging the nightly rate using all the different rates or picking the highest rate for all nights when booking a room. Splitting up your rez to cover different rates is fine. Yes, they may request you physically check out and change rooms, but as long as you keep the same room type on all rezzies, they should allow you to keep and stay in the same room. Their keycard system may not allow them to code your key for the entire duration of your stay and you'll need to get your key reprogrammed between each rez.

You might get a FDC that is confused so know your rate details and be sure to check everything closely. If you're lucky they will book each stay as a separate stay, but the rules call for consecutive nights to count as one stay regardless the number of rezzies.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
System is gaming us.

I had 4 day reservation in NYC. Wanted to change it to two days: can't, minimum 3 days res. Now system allows me to change it to 2 days but want to reprice it to current prices which are double at what I booked. Can't just cut my reservation to two days. Had to look for another hotel but everything went up in price in the meantime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.