Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Diamond Requirements Changing?

Old Oct 26, 16, 1:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hhonors, MR, SPG, Enterprise, Hertz

It's been a while since Hilton announced the lifetime Diamond status. I was lead to believe that they were going to start with the 1000 paid nights, and 10 years to start off with, then make some adjustments after a year or two.

The same person that led me to believe they were going to make adjustments, said they have put off making adjustments because the base of members aren't complaining anymore that they don't have a lifetime program, and aren't complaining about the requirements (he works for Hilton Corporate).

So is he right?

Am I the only one that feels 1000 paid nights is too many? They have very, very few lifetime Diamond members as the program sits today. Is everyone else here complacent and happy? I would have been happier if they dropped the number to 750 paid nights or included reward stays at the very least. I haven't seen any other complaints on here, so I thought I would ask.

With the SPG merger, I can now book all of our corporate events with either of the two of those and easily hit Lifetime Plat with MR, and am thinking about switching all of the events I book to capitalize on a benefit I can enjoy after I retire in another 12 to 15 years.
Old Oct 26, 16, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
I think the requirements are high for lifetime Diamond when Marriott lifetime is 750 nights and 2M points. Where Hilton is 1000 nights and 10 years of having Diamond status. I fell Hilton should lower the requirements and also not give Diamond status out like water to devalue the status for those that actually earn it the proper way.
Old Oct 26, 16, 2:24 pm

Well unless something has significantly changed internally in the last three months I can't see anything changing in the near future.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26975840-post91.html
Old Oct 26, 16, 2:35 pm

Programs: HH D; IHG G
They should introduce lifetime Gold with 500 nights and 10 years of Gold or Diamond membership. Even as a lifetime Gold you would still be enticed to work your way up to Diamond status each year, because of the extra points, executive lounge access, upgrades etc. But if you retire or change jobs, you would stay loyal to Hilton because of your lifetime Gold.
Old Oct 26, 16, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sisosig View Post
They should introduce lifetime Gold with 500 nights and 10 years of Gold or Diamond membership. Even as a lifetime Gold you would still be enticed to work your way up to Diamond status each year, because of the extra points, executive lounge access, upgrades etc. But if you retire or change jobs, you would stay loyal to Hilton because of your lifetime Gold.
Lifetime status (at other programs) does not give you a "leg up" towards higher annual status.

Ie, if LIfetime status is mid-tier, to get annual top-tier status you have to start from 0 then do the number of night or stays or points annually that everyone else (without any Lifetime status) would. You don't start with however nights it takes to get to mid-tier and add the difference in nights.

So I'm not sure how "enticed" most people would be by Lifetime Gold status toward "working up to" Diamond status. If they were interested in Diamond status, they'd have it, and so what would Lifetime Gold status matter to them at that point? If they were interested in Lifetime, it's likely because they're not going to hit Diamond easily most years (or, as you note, saving it for later).

The one group that might "enticed" would be a subset of those who achieved the requirements for Lifetime Gold a few years ago, have moved to another hotel program since, and would come back to Hilton if Hilton informed them that they had just earned Lifetime Gold. But (at least for those based in the USA) since Hilton Gold is so easy to get for $75/year from a credit card (if not for free from a status match), I'm not sure how much of a draw that would be.
Old Oct 26, 16, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
I'd recommend 10 years of earned Diamond status OR 1,000 paid nights.

I've earned Diamond status every year since 2013, averaging 75 nights and 100,000 base points per year.

At this rate, I'll have to continue this level of loyalty for another 9 years to get to 1,000 paid nights. Seems a tad excessive, considering they give out Diamond status to certain credit cards.
Old Oct 26, 16, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
I agree that the number of nights for Lifetime Diamond is to high. I have been a diamond member for 15 years and still need a lot of nights to get to 1000. They need to lower the number of nights and increase the years as Diamond.
Old Oct 26, 16, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I know the only thing that they were considering changing was to have add a spend requirement to the equation. The line of thinking being that while its great that someone hit 10 years and 1000 nights, perhaps they did so staying mostly at Hampton Inn's for $39 a night (or whatever) while you might have a 10 year plus guy, who mostly has stayed in NY, London, HKG, whatever properties, and been spending $400+ a night for most of his stays, but maybe only has 800 nights. So the unfairness might be that guy number 1 gets Lifetime Diamond having spent $39,000, while guy number 2 might still be several years away but he has spent $320,000. So making it 10 years and 1000 nights OR let's say 10 years plus a minimum of 750 night AND a spend of a minimum of $200,000 might be more equitable.

Then again I was part of the inaugural class, so this is all behind me.......
Old Oct 26, 16, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ernie8575 View Post
I agree that the number of nights for Lifetime Diamond is to high. I have been a diamond member for 15 years and still need a lot of nights to get to 1000. They need to lower the number of nights and increase the years as Diamond.
They always seem more interested in new business than taking care of their loyal members. The requirements are high. I had 10 consecutive years of Diamond but I would have never reached 1000 nights.

That's why I'm now Gold through my CC and give Marriott more business than I once did. Especially now that I merged my Marriott account with my SPG account.
Old Oct 26, 16, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
I'd recommend 10 years of earned Diamond status OR 1,000 paid nights.
Originally Posted by ernie8575 View Post
Personally, I would prefer 1,000 paid nights ONLY. Who cares many years they did it in? I think anything lower cheapens it and it isn't like it is loaded with extra benefits anyway....at least for now.
Old Oct 26, 16, 10:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
There are 3 ways to officially qualify for Diamond as we know,

Nights, Stays and Revenue.
The only way to qualify for lifetime diamond is basically nights and 10 years. (with 30 stays a year it would take 33 years to qualify).

To me that never made sense, I mentioned before, I always (since 2010)qualified based on revenue, this year for the first time I qualify on one night stays (29) and 2x3 night stays. As me revenue is obviously not important to the loyalty level.

That is besides the stupidity of giving the highest tier of the loyalty program away like candy.

I don't complain to Hilton anymore. No point....

Globalist
Old Oct 26, 16, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I qualify annually on all 3 categories. Currently sitting at 57 stays, 119 nights and 122,115 BP. My lifetime nights is at 970.

QUESTION: Is it 10 years of Diamond or 10 CONSECUTIVE years? I thought I heard it was 10 consecutive years for it.
Old Oct 26, 16, 10:43 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Personally, I would prefer 1,000 paid nights ONLY. Who cares many years they did it in? I think anything lower cheapens it and it isn't like it is loaded with extra benefits anyway....at least for now.
I would go for 1,000 paid nites only. But, think the current requirements fit the lifetime Diamond achievement award level. After all this is an award for extra ordinary loyalty. I also feel that there should be some minimum annual consecutive total spend threshold requirement added to the Lifetime Diamond Award.
Old Oct 26, 16, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by orr333 View Post
I qualify annually on all 3 categories. Currently sitting at 57 stays, 119 nights and 122,115 BP. My lifetime nights is at 970.

QUESTION: Is it 10 years of Diamond or 10 CONSECUTIVE years? I thought I heard it was 10 consecutive years for it.
As far as I understood it did not have to be consecutive. As long as you have 10 years.

Globalist
Old Oct 27, 16, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by afurman View Post
I think the requirements are high for lifetime Diamond when Marriott lifetime is 750 nights and 2M points. Where Hilton is 1000 nights and 10 years of having Diamond status. I fell Hilton should lower the requirements and also not give Diamond status out like water to devalue the status for those that actually earn it the proper way.
Let's not forget that Marriott recently lowered their requirements for lifetime status.

After the merger with Starwood, who knows? There's been no announcement yet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: