Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

100% Hampton Guarantee - YA NO!! Customer Service says sorry too bad

100% Hampton Guarantee - YA NO!! Customer Service says sorry too bad

Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Sure, fair statement, I am a non smoker and most hotels are non smoking so i automatically assume that the system would always choose non smoking. So did i make a mistake? i checked my reservations and it stated smoking, did i notice this, no as i always stay in non smoking rooms in non smoking hotels.

So after my rant, i guess the big finger is pointing at me! Am i learning a very important lesson, yes! Never assume, always make sure the reservation is correct no matter how many i have made over the decades and like Trump, never admit you are wrong

Hilton still came through, i am only loyal to Hilton and i always exceed the minimum requirements for Diamond, so this was great of them to make me happy, even if it "may" be my fault for assuming!

So for those who want to say i was wrong, it appears that I "may" have been a victim of an oversight!
In any case, OP, thanks for coming back with possible egg on the face. We all make mistakes.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Hilton Garden Inn Elko, NV (they have a few smoking rooms) once did something odd when I reserved a 1 King; before the booking finalized a box popped up that said they could not confirm my smoking preferences and do I wish to continue with the booking. My profile is clearly set to non-smoking preference. I continued but the booking did not show if it was a smoking room or non-smoking room. I got to the property and I was allocated into a room that seemed to be non-smoking but right next to the few smoking rooms at the end of the hall on the top floor. I was not happy, but was told they were full and there was no relocation option. I communicated my dissatisfaction, and felt the manager made it right. The next time I stayed there which was almost a year later I was not placed anywhere near those smoking rooms.

This is one good thing about Marriott in the US- 100% non smoking properties.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
It is good of the OP to admit that it was his/her own mistake. Now the OP should go back and change the deceptive title of this post, since it appears that Hilton exceeded anything that should have been done for him/her by giving an unwarranted 100% satisfaction guarantee refund!!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by loomis
It is good of the OP to admit that it was his/her own mistake. Now the OP should go back and change the deceptive title of this post, since it appears that Hilton exceeded anything that should have been done for him/her by giving an unwarranted 100% satisfaction guarantee refund!!
But we don't know that...

If op is merely looking online at the reservation details, it may very well be that a change was made to put him into a smoking room. IF the email confirmation says he booked a smoking room, THEN it was his fault. Several have asked for clarification, but none made.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
...giving an unwarranted 100% satisfaction guarantee refund!!
You make an interesting assertion. What exactly does "100% satisfaction" mean? The OP didn't get the room type wanted, but it looks like the OP may have inadvertently reserved the wrong room type. But the initial outcome was not one of 100% satisfaction either (even if the fault lies at least partially with yourself.)

There are things Hilton could do to possibly reduce the chances of this type of misunderstanding. For example, any time someone chooses some different from their profile, the system could ask to verify the choice.

I'm not trying to say Hilton must do that, only that there are ways they could reduce potential errors or situations where less than 100% satisfaction might occur by their customers. They offered a 100% Guarantee, that is a pretty wide umbrella to throw out then want to argue with customers that they should be 100% Satisfied when things didn't go the way the customer wanted.

This is the type of situation a company has to deal with if they want to offer this type of blanket guarantee.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
You make an interesting assertion. What exactly does "100% satisfaction" mean? The OP didn't get the room type wanted, but it looks like the OP may have inadvertently reserved the wrong room type. But the initial outcome was not one of 100% satisfaction either (even if the fault lies at least partially with yourself.)

There are things Hilton could do to possibly reduce the chances of this type of misunderstanding. For example, any time someone chooses some different from their profile, the system could ask to verify the choice.

I'm not trying to say Hilton must do that, only that there are ways they could reduce potential errors or situations where less than 100% satisfaction might occur by their customers. They offered a 100% Guarantee, that is a pretty wide umbrella to throw out then want to argue with customers that they should be 100% Satisfied when things didn't go the way the customer wanted.

This is the type of situation a company has to deal with if they want to offer this type of blanket guarantee.
So, say I only like non-smoking rooms, I purposefully book a smoking room so I can invoke the 100% satisfaction guarantee and get the night free or get a ton of points because I am not "happy". Nope, sorry. There is no onus on Hilton to make things right when it is 100% the customers fault. You have to read what you are booking. Never assume because you know what that means. Ignorance of the fine print is no excuse. If you get caught breaking a law you were unaware of does not get you out of the consequences. Same here. If the OP really did book a smoking room then they should not have been compensated as they got exactly what they booked. Just because their profile prefers non-smoking makes no difference. If all there is left at a hotel is smoking rooms do you want them to say it is full because they can't meet their preference? So we are waiting for the OP to come back and let us know what they actually booked.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
But we don't know that...

If op is merely looking online at the reservation details, it may very well be that a change was made to put him into a smoking room. IF the email confirmation says he booked a smoking room, THEN it was his fault. Several have asked for clarification, but none made.
I agree with what Baze said in the previous post. OP DID admit that it was his mistake:

Sure, fair statement, I am a non smoker and most hotels are non smoking so i automatically assume that the system would always choose non smoking. So did i make a mistake? i checked my reservations and it stated smoking, did i notice this, no as i always stay in non smoking rooms in non smoking hotels.

So after my rant, i guess the big finger is pointing at me!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I agree with what Baze said in the previous post. OP DID admit that it was his mistake:

So after my rant, i guess the big finger is pointing at me!
But we don't know what the OP looked at to see what was booked. As I've stated, the property can change the online booking and the op would never know it. The email sent at time of booking should be the ONLY thing counted upon to be accurate as to what was booked.

If the OP wishes to drop it with the belief he messed up, that's his option.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
But we don't know what the OP looked at to see what was booked. As I've stated, the property can change the online booking and the op would never know it. The email sent at time of booking should be the ONLY thing counted upon to be accurate as to what was booked.

If the OP wishes to drop it with the belief he messed up, that's his option.
Of course the OP is dropping it, they already got their compensation. See post #4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.