Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

"We created a video for your upcoming stay"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Really randomly just got at promotional email from Hilton for an upcoming stay in 2 weeks (doing one night at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder near Sante Fe, NM USA... it is just a stop-off en-route for a sleep and was cheapest in the area).

"xxxx, we created a video for your upcoming stay. Click below to find out what to expect at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder."

It then goes to a video which shows and describes just goes through the hotel features (e.g. restaurants, bars, site around the hotel, DigitalKey) but includes customised descriptions (i.e. mentions 2 queen beds, the dates of my stay, says my first name, thanking for being a Diamond member). After the video there are buttons to click which took me to details about the hotel which you can access from the usual confirmation email anyway (e.g. amenities, arrival requests, directions, the RoomKey upgrade system, etc). A feedback form was then included asking questions such as whether the video was helpful or not.

I'm not entirely sure of the utility it has for me.At first I thought it was spam or a phishing attack but it was legit. Found it a little odd to be honest. Even odder is that the email (and others from Hilton) are appeared in my inbox as .html attachments. I have to open the .html attachment to view them rather than having them just display inline like the rest of my html-formatted emails. That was another reason I thought it was a phishing attack but I looked at the code first before opening it in a browser and it was fine, just a normal webpage (I'd also emailed Hilton about this strange behaviour before and they said that the emails were legitimate and not a phishing attack).
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I got one of these before our stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I think I prefer a regular email with written descriptions and appropriate links over this sort of video.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Really randomly just got at promotional email from Hilton for an upcoming stay in 2 weeks (doing one night at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder near Sante Fe, NM USA... it is just a stop-off en-route for a sleep and was cheapest in the area).

"xxxx, we created a video for your upcoming stay. Click below to find out what to expect at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder."

It then goes to a video which shows and describes just goes through the hotel features (e.g. restaurants, bars, site around the hotel, DigitalKey) but includes customised descriptions (i.e. mentions 2 queen beds, the dates of my stay, says my first name, thanking for being a Diamond member). After the video there are buttons to click which took me to details about the hotel which you can access from the usual confirmation email anyway (e.g. amenities, arrival requests, directions, the RoomKey upgrade system, etc). A feedback form was then included asking questions such as whether the video was helpful or not.

I'm not entirely sure of the utility it has for me.At first I thought it was spam or a phishing attack but it was legit. Found it a little odd to be honest. Even odder is that the email (and others from Hilton) are appeared in my inbox as .html attachments. I have to open the .html attachment to view them rather than having them just display inline like the rest of my html-formatted emails. That was another reason I thought it was a phishing attack but I looked at the code first before opening it in a browser and it was fine, just a normal webpage (I'd also emailed Hilton about this strange behaviour before and they said that the emails were legitimate and not a phishing attack).
It got you to view it once. If you don't have any use for it, don't use it again.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
It got you to view it once. If you don't have any use for it, don't use it again.
Thanks you for the helpful advice which I had already intended to adopt before it was so kindly pointed out what my options were

Comparatively, the Le Club Accor "Smart Explorer" game is much more engaging! It had me looking for local landmarks near one of their hotels in Japan! I quite enjoyed it! It'd be fun if they actually had the game for an upcoming stay rather than a place I'm not going right now.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Car dealerships seem to be adopting this approach to help new purchasers be familiar with their car before collection. Works for me as a great personal touch there but a little OTT for a hotel that has warts and all pics on TripAdvisor anyway.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Got one of these for the first time ever for an upcoming stay at the Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront resort. Surprised to find this very old thread with no posts for 2-1/2 years. The common denominator seems to be "resorts."

The video was nice enough and had a personalized greeting by name and thanking me for being a Diamond, but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Maybe this is something they've decided to resurrect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.