Hilton Lake Como {ITA}

Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is a decent value. If you get .5 cents per point it is a reasonable redemption.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
That is .58 cents per point. Not a bad value. I try to pay cash at anything below around .45 per point. There was a 'deal' to purchase Hilton points at .5 cents per point, so this redemption would have made sense even with that purchase.

Also, remember, when paying with points, you don't pay tax. And you don't worry about currency changes.

I don't know anything about the hotel or whether its worth $467 a night, but based upon redemption rate per point, its above average.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Piling on . . . .58 cpp is a really good Hilton redemption these days.

Note that Sheraton Como is not a bad option - just stayed there and pleasantly surprised at quality.
rht likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:25 pm

Plus, emptying your points is a good way to leave the program, if you primarily use others.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:18 pm

do you normally do 1 night stays ( vacation) or multiple nights on Leisure?

1- I am assuming that Lake Como is not a "business trip"--- how long would you plan to stay.checking in and out is a " PIA'
2- I'll take a minority view. If these are you last Hilton points , I would not use them. i.e I would value a balance of 80,000x than 800,000--- eventually ,At some point you'll you have a trip, where Hilton is simply more convenient or nicer hotel. There is Tapestry and curio which are upscale brands. For a one night there. 80,000 points would cover you. multiple nights conversely would get you to the dreaded "cash and points) are some sweet spots that get close to a penny a point.

3- if you typically do multiple night stays 80K hhonors points won't do much fro you. so "smoke em if you got them".
4- Ae you you gold status at least ??-- it seems a pulse can get you HHONORS GOLD and breakfast won't be cheap at Lake Como.--- maybe you breath in front of a hand held mirror and if it fogs up , get a comp?( to gold ) Marriott wont give you breakfast as your property is likely a "resort" so If Breakfast is $100 for two people at Marriott if you have status with Hilton "back out" the hundred bucks. will your preferred progrsams charge "resort: fee?
5- you don't mention if the rate is all in with VAT, Europe tends to be a little more upfront in that its a VAT that is includes or is it takes added.
6 The sweet spot with Hillton is ALL POINT redemption, you get hammered on "points and cash" scam
.7- With Hilton All points redemption , a free award night is really free.
8- not so with Marriott and Ritz CArlton. I have seen some mandatory "buy ups" on pretty crappy rooms. I understand if its oceanfront with balcony. But I am taking about rooms marked as "no view"
but I have seen" limited view" tiny square footage that have co-pays and mandatory RESORT fees even on all point redemptions AND you'll pay tax on resort fee.
9- Hilton will cover resort fee and no tax or mandatory "buy ups". Either you'll get what they call a standard reward for reasonable points ( which you seem to have gotten)
a "premium reward for an absurd amount of ponts.
I0- I value well higher than half a penny. ( Diamond points are woth more --IMHO----
11-y comments about $$$ charges o marriott and ritz carlton only apply to them. I have no recent experience with SPG redemptions.
12- I recall a "free night" at the Gaylord in National HArbour MD. about $90 for my "free" night", resort fee, Atrium view, and high maryland taxes.
13- without being personal , are you "affluent"? if $468 or $468 plus tax is not a needle mover of inconsequential to you , pay .
14- if you normally don't do 1 night stays , you won't get a Tapestry of Curio for your 80K
15- how are the reviews for the Hilton Lake CComo compared to where you might otherwise stay?
16- it's marginal either way, 6 to half a dozen.
17- BTW - I tend to find that "is it worth it " questions tend to be that the OP wants to be told "no way would I use points for that.
18- if its $468 , plus tax and resort fee, you are doing ok with the point redemption.
19 if its $468 all in AND a nice hotel, it a coin toss.
hope this was of some help.
20- I'll restate to stress my contrarian view / position , you last 80,000 points are worth more than 10% or 800,000 points.
21- Last issue to consider, what is your exact balance? is it 82,128 points or 93,000 points? 2100 orphan points are meaningless, ut will you be stuck with a bunch of points that you can't really use.
Best,
Rich

bitterproffit likes this.

Last edited by writetorich; Apr 19, 2018 at 9:05 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:26 pm

I'll respectfully disagree , yes there are $129- night rooms that require 40,000

Originally Posted by Kacee
Piling on . . . .58 cpp is a really good Hilton redemption these days.

Note that Sheraton Como is not a bad option - just stayed there and pleasantly surprised at quality.

I'll respectfully disagree , yes there are $129- night rooms that require 40,000 points , but no one forces bad redemption value for Savvy Ft'ers
Yes or 70%-75% of occasions , .58 is respectable.
But no one forces you not to hold the point until you want the other 25%- 30% of options..
I also think diamond member points are "more valuable". Do you agree?
But the real strength is that Free means Free.
one has to be crazy to do the "premium room redemption" or even cash and points.
The lack of taxes and resort fees make a free stay better than a Marriott redemptions which is not so free
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:01 am

Lake Como is beautiful. The Hilton is a long walk from the bustling part of town, and it is not waterfront if I remember.

If you're only going here once in your lifetime, pick a great place to stay that is central and has great views. You won't be sorry, and will have 80k points for another time.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:00 pm

I always look at it simply as how do I replace the points via credit card. To get 80K HH points, I have to charge $26.7K to a HH credit card. To get $467 in cash from my Citi Double Cash card, I would have charge $23.4K.. So.. I would pay the rate rather than use points. I am also in agreement that if that is the last of my points, I would prefer to keep them for something more unforeseen.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xooz
I always look at it simply as how do I replace the points via credit card. To get 80K HH points, I have to charge $26.7K to a HH credit card. To get $467 in cash from my Citi Double Cash card, I would have charge $23.4K.. So.. I would pay the rate rather than use points. I am also in agreement that if that is the last of my points, I would prefer to keep them for something more unforeseen.
For some reason, I thought that I had to look at how I do replace the points via the price I pay in my future stays in a Hilton. To get 80K HH points, I need to have business travel stays worth $4570, if I hit a double points period it's $2900. I never pay cash for vacations when it's above $250/night. But it's a fact that, due to the little miseries of life, for the past 5 years I have not been able to take my annual vacation at the Hilton Athens so my points balance has grown to more than a million. Which is not good....devaluation happens all the time.

Going back to the subject, I have never been to Como but my wife had been there in 1996. She had a business meeting in a hotel on the waterfront in Como. They had enough free time to walk in the town and to take a cruise in the lake and have dinner in a restaurant in an island. She says it was magical. I'm not so sure that I would give 80K points or $467 for the Hilton there without investigating other possibilities.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Will be staying at the Hilton como next week at a rate of 165€/205$. For 467$ i would choose a Lake Front Hotel.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
It's not worth it! I I have been there this is just an ordinary hilton hotel. not more not less. Typical nice hotel, but nothing extraordinary. Check TripAdvisor reviews.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Reality check everyone: 80k Hilton points are not worth that much, and with a double points promo and a Hilton card can be earned with around $2k (Diamond) or $2.5k (GM) of Hilton spend.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:51 am

"For some reason, I thought that I had to look at how I do replace the points via the price I pay in my future stays in a Hilton."

That is your method and presumes you have significant expectation of spending money for hotel rooms in the future. I was just espousing my point of view which is a credit card only focus. I don't have business spend and prefer to manage my limited funds for personal hotel spend. For me, it will be quite some time before I would have paid stays totaling in the $3K range.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:15 am

I agree

Originally Posted by proth
Lake Como is beautiful. The Hilton is a long walk from the bustling part of town, and it is not waterfront if I remember.

If you're only going here once in your lifetime, pick a great place to stay that is central and has great views. You won't be sorry, and will have 80k points for another time.
Was unaware of Hilton Location.
Stay elsewhere and save the points.
Instead of comparing the 80,000 points to $468 --- unless there is a reason , i.e. conference, convention why you'd want to be there ,
It seems more logical to comparing the $468 or $468++ to a more attractive property.
If you would not PAY to stay at Hilton , ( not your program of choice) , compare to ther properties.
I was there Once and we stayed at a independent 3 star more authentic hotel ( locally owned on the lake in center of town,
2011 Summer well under $468 , but of course prices have changed in 7 years
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Personally I would either look for a less expensive place to stay or pay the cash rate if nothing better could be found. I would be more inclined to build enough points to do a 5th Night Free stay someplace and get better value for them. The way I look at it you're only saving $68 vs the vale I would assign to the points and that doesn't even take into account the points you would earn if you stayed there, if unable to find a less expensive alternative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.