senseless upgrade?

Old Aug 15, 16, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Diamond Upgrade Policy

Hey there,

just stayed a few nights at Hilton where I was told "We are happy to upgrade you to an Executive Room" (booked King Guest Room). In that special property the Executive Floor is in the top level, while all the rooms on other floors are exactly the same than all other regular guest rooms. The only difference is the lounge access that comes with the executive room. While im HH Diamond im a always entitled to Lounge access. In my opinion there is no upgrade when I get moved from the 4th to the 5th floor. Upgrade vom King Guest Room to a level above like King Studio or King Suite would have been a upgrade. The room even got no view at all. I know that upgrades are based on "space available", but it happens every single stay while all other Hotels provided real upgrades.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 15, 16, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

senseless upgrade?

Hey there,

just stayed 2nights at a Hilton proberty and been told upon checkin "We are happy to upgrade you to an Executive Room". The only difference is that
the Executive Rooms are on a designated level. The room itself looks
100% identical to the regular King Hilton Guest Room. As im diamond member im always entitled to lounge access. So , in my opinion, the "upgrade" is no upgrade. The room is 100% the same (even got no different view) than the others.

I know that all upgrades are based on "space available", but it happend every single time in that property. I would have expected an upgrade to a studio room or a junior suite, but not just a movement from floor 4 to floor 5.

Are upgrades also based on the rate type?
Old Aug 15, 16, 3:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Hi svhe

Hope you well. Happens a lot. I have had it many times. Technically it is an upgrade even though as you say as Diamond lounge access is given. Sometimes though room is same but does have extras such as slippers, bathropes etc

I don't really bother too much. With online checkin I prefer to pick room I want. It is better to get exec room as they tend to be top floors.

At check in you can question it and see if you can get suite etc
Old Aug 15, 16, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by svhe View Post
Hey there,

just stayed 2nights at a Hilton proberty and been told upon checkin "We are happy to upgrade you to an Executive Room". The only difference is that
100% identical to the regular King Hilton Guest Room. As im diamond member im always entitled to lounge access. So , in my opinion, the "upgrade" is no upgrade. The room is 100% the same (even got no different view) than the others.

I know that all upgrades are based on "space available", but it happend every single time in that property. I would have expected an upgrade to a studio room or a junior suite, but not just a movement from floor 4 to floor 5.

You're assuming the only criteria of an upgrade is a larger sized room.

An upgrade can technically also be a higher floor, EL, better view, corner room, etc..

Also keep in mind that other people would consider being on the same floor as the EL an upgrade due to the convenience factor.
Old Aug 15, 16, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
You're assuming the only criteria of an upgrade is a larger sized room.

An upgrade can technically also be a higher floor, EL, better view, corner room, etc..

Also keep in mind that other people would consider being on the same floor as the EL an upgrade due to the convenience factor.
Count me as one of those, its a lot easier carrying stuff out of the lounge just down the hallway than dealing with an elevator with full hands. Also as noted, there often are additional items such as robe and sometimes even slippers not present inthe regular room or water put out every day for you.
Old Aug 15, 16, 5:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A Front Desk clerk may not really be aware of the sometimes trivial differences between room categories; they just work there, they don't stay there. So they'll follow the script laid out for them.

If you'd rather not be "upgraded" for any reason, merely speak up and let them know of your preferences.
Old Aug 15, 16, 5:35 pm

Yet another example of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in the hospitality (or any other) industry.
Old Aug 15, 16, 8:50 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Hey there,

Typically with Hilton room order ascending is something like
King Guest } Lowest Category, although confusingly some hotels reverse the sup/dlx room order
Superior }
Deluxe
Exec
Junior suite
(So Exec room with Lounge access is 3rd category up)

o If you book the base level room, it is often smaller room than the deluxe room

o The Exec Room could simply be any Deluxe room with associated Lounge access, or may be slightly bigger than a Deluxe.

o Exec room may/could also enjoy uplift to room itself, things you'll not consiously notice, or even be unaware of unless you stay in htels basic room, eg
Robes + slippers (expected, maybe in Deluxe rooms too)
Nespresso coffee type machine as well as kettle/coffee/tea tray
Larger TV Screen
Higher threadcount Cotton/Linen bed sheets
Bathroom has a)bath instead of shower b)bath+shower instead of a bath c)bath+shower instead of a bath
Bathroom has nicer toiletries, scales, thicker+nicer bath towels

All the above lead to a nicer exec room stay, without you really knowing why. ^
Old Aug 15, 16, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
At last you were offered any sort of upgrade.
Have yet to get a room upgrade of any sort since becoming a diamond.
Old Aug 16, 16, 7:39 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I have found that the rooms on the Executive floor sometimes have a few differences with rooms on other floors. At many of the Hiltons that I use, the Executive floor rooms always have a refrigerator, while the rooms on other floors, while otherwise identical, do not. I can usually get a fridge brought to the room, and I have never been charged for it.

The other minor little difference is that there are sometimes additional toiletries in the bathroom in Executive floor rooms. Addon's such as shower caps, sewing kits, shoe mits, and so on that are sometimes absent in regular rooms.
Old Aug 16, 16, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact that this particular OP does not subjectively consider the UG a sufficient UG does not mean that it is not an UG. The fact is that it is a freebie. OP is free to ask the difference between the two rooms and if the differences are not to his liking, he should simply say, "I think I'll stick with what I had" and move on.

There are people who hate being on the floor with a lounge because it may be noisier and there are people who like it. Go figure.
Old Aug 16, 16, 8:07 am
Suspended

Thanks for sharing your story, hope you get the help and acvice that you need. But this really happens to a lot of people though.... it sucks!
Old Aug 16, 16, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Yet another example of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in the hospitality (or any other) industry.
Amen...
Old Aug 16, 16, 9:48 am

Hey there,

just stayed a few nights at Hilton where I was told "We are happy to upgrade you to an Executive Room" (booked King Guest Room). In that special property the Executive Floor is in the top level, while all the rooms on other floors are exactly the same than all other regular guest rooms. The only difference is the lounge access that comes with the executive room. While im HH Diamond im a always entitled to Lounge access. In my opinion there is no upgrade when I get moved from the 4th to the 5th floor. Upgrade vom King Guest Room to a level above like King Studio or King Suite would have been a upgrade. The room even got no view at all. I know that upgrades are based on "space available", but it happens every single stay while all other Hotels provided real upgrades.

Any suggestions?
Stay elsewhere if the only upgrades to your liking are significantly larger rooms. Not sure how that would impact your stay, other than being able to tell people you were upgraded to a suite. Do you use the things available to you in the suite?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: