Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What redemption rate do you shoot for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist

I'm just curious as to what value others aim for when booking award nights. It seems most sites value the points at .5 cents per point so anything above that would be considered decent. But, knowing people on here, that's on the low end. I found a Doubletree for this Saturday for 20,000 points with rates at $239 so that seems like a solid redemption to me and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I'm just curious as to what value others aim for when booking award nights. It seems most sites value the points at .5 cents per point so anything above that would be considered decent. But, knowing people on here, that's on the low end. I found a Doubletree for this Saturday for 20,000 points with rates at $239 so that seems like a solid redemption to me and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.
Yes, that's a solid rate. My minimum is the .5 cents, but I obviously try to get higher. Right now we have an upcoming trip that's costing us 40k points per night, but the cash rate of the room is $279 + tax, so that's about a .75 cent value.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I try to get at least .7 cents. Although in high tax locations (for example, Japan) a lower rate can still be a very good deal.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
That is definitely worth pulling the trigger on in my opinion. The half a cent per point is a pretty good rule of thumb, but you can usually during the year find even better, especially in the 20-40K property range.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Although in high tax locations (for example, Japan) a lower rate can still be a very good deal.
Or cities in the US with high taxes including tourism fees, etc. It's not explicitly clear from the OP, but it seems that he/she was quoting the base rate. These sorts of valuation calculations should always be done against the out-the-door price since, as you have noted, taxes and fees can be nontrivial.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y-cash-48.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...rthless-9.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-just-pay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post16556311
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Or cities in the US with high taxes including tourism fees, etc. It's not explicitly clear from the OP, but it seems that he/she was quoting the base rate. These sorts of valuation calculations should always be done against the out-the-door price since, as you have noted, taxes and fees can be nontrivial.
Yeah that was the base MVP rate with an accessible room. The total is $265. The cheapest I'm seeing for the next few months is $185 + tax. Apparently Portland is expensive in the summer! There is another Doubletree that has a much better location for about $160 total that I could get, so all things considered this seems like a great redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.