Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool {GBR}

Stay coming up.... preupgraded to a deluxe room. Not sure if that is a 1 or 2 cat. Hotel say it is 2, on website definitely 1.

Hotel looks very nice- will report back.

Any one else with experiences?

Last edited by Skimanant; Jul 22, 2016 at 5:05 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
No but I will be eagerly waiting for your report, I have been itching to stay there since it opened.

I know the restaurant there features on LivingSocial a lot, but so does the Hilton's so I don't know if that's an indication of anything.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Honors Gold
I stayed here back in May and liked the hotel a lot. I'm Diamond and don't think I got any upgrade (I didn't ask but the room seemed to be the one we booked), but as on the HHonors floor, which is the top floor (7th floor?) with a slight view over the building next door (I got the impression the hotel doesn't have many rooms with views). The hotel seemed very full in the morning after the first night, so that might have been why there was no upgrade.

The room wasn't huge but was good enough, the bed was very comfortable. You got free access to the spa as a Diamond member, although I didn't try it. We got full free breakfast in the restaurant, which is one of the best quality hotel buffet breakfasts I've had. We also got 4 free drinks vouchers (it was a room for 2 for 3 nights), although I've read online all UK Hiltons have stopped doing this recently. It was also no problem having late checkout on our final day. We also got a free paper delivered each morning, and had a platter with some fruit and chocolate waiting in our room on the first night.

The library room is very ornate but was very quiet whenever we went (although that was usually in the evening rather than during the day, when you can get afternoon tea). The bar part of the restaurant also seemed quiet in the early evening, though it seemed like it got busier later.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool

DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool

6 Sir Thomas Street Liverpool, GB L1 6BR

Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool (6 Photos)

DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool

The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool opened in October 2015 after renovation and restoration works.

The hotel consists of two connected buildings, both of which are Grade II listed. The building facing Dale Street was built in 1883 and used to house a gentleman’s club (the Liverpool Conservative Club). It was then acquired by the City Council as office space. You can read more about the history of the building on the hotel’s website: http://www.doubletreeliverpool.co.uk/history/

View of the hotel from Dale Street:

DSCF9877.JPG

Check In

Entering the hotel, we were immediately greeted by the porter.

The hotel lobby had a modern, bright and welcoming feel, thanks to the high ceiling and the combination of white stone and dark wood.

The front desk associate welcomed me as a Diamond member and handed me a welcome letter with the key cards. We were also given the signature DoubleTree chocolate chip cookies.

We received two free drink vouchers which we could use in Koukash Bar & Restaurant (on the ground floor) or the Library Lounge (on the first floor).

We were given a one category upgrade from a standard room to a superior room.

Room

We were allocated a superior twin room on the top floor (7th floor).

DSCF9855.JPG

DSCF9857.JPG

The mattress and duvet were very comfortable.

The bathroom was very spacious. There was a large walk-in shower, but no bathtub.

DSCF9850.JPG

There were 2 complimentary bottles of water in the fridge.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in this thread, the ‘premium’ wifi speed was slow.

You can read more about the superior twin room on the hotel's website: http://www.doubletreeliverpool.co.uk/bedrooms-and-suites/twin-superior-room/

Eforea Spa

As a Diamond member, entry to the Eforea Spa was free for me + 1 guest. Other residents are charged GBP 15 and non-residents are charged GBP 25. For this reason, the spa was very empty.

The Spa features an indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, as well as treatment rooms. It was the perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing.

The Spa is open daily from 9am to 8pm.

More information is available on the Eforea Spa website: http://eforeaspaliverpool.co.uk/

DSCF9878.JPG

Facilities

The gym (open 24/7) is located on the first floor.

There are also 2 Mac computers which guests can use on the ground floor.

Breakfast

As a Diamond member, the full breakfast buffet was available free of charge for me + 1 guest in the Koukash Restaurant on the ground floor.

The buffet selection consisted of both English cooked breakfast and continental breakfast options. The quality was satisfactory. The range of food, however, was quite limited. Eggs were available made-to-order.

DSCF9880.JPG

Overall

We had an enjoyable stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool (in particular, the Eforea Spa was great). Far from being a ‘cookie-cutter’ chain hotel, this DoubleTree hotel felt more like a boutique hotel. It was wonderful to stay in a building with an interior that combined historical grandeur (for example, the stairwell and the Library Lounge) and modern design (for example, the lobby, Eforea Spa and the guest room). However, the breakfast buffet and wifi speed could be improved. Nonetheless, I would recommend this unique hotel and would be happy to return on a future trip to Liverpool.

Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Liverpool?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 9, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Has anyone stayed recently? Thanks.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Originally Posted by strickers
Has anyone stayed recently? Thanks.
I'm staying there in a couple of weeks time, surprised how few comments there are for a city centre hotel.

Is there another thread for this hotel?
Old May 14, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: VS, BA, Hilton, IHG
Stayed here over the weekend, all in all a very good stay.

Booked a King room - no upgrade - hotel did appear full apart from the Presidential suite (at £600 p/night!). Room on 6th floor and was a reasonable size. Given the usual cookie + 2 drinks vouchers. Breakfast (diamond) is a full buffet in the restaurant which was ok.

Did not use the spa although Diamonds get free access. Parking is £10 payable to the hotel for the nearby Q park. Premium wifi was good.

Staff very welcoming and freindly.
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I had been dithering over whether to book this or somewhere else with prices ranging around £80 in the week prior to my stay.

But the night before I was planning to arrive, it suddenly dropped to £63 so I snatched up that rate.

As per the review by paul00 from 3 years ago, the building itself was very grand yet modern. I was upgraded to a superior room on the top (4th) floor of the side building, which is the one where the spa is located. (The presidential suite occupies the entire 2nd floor of this building.)

For some reason, in the past few months' stays at UK Hiltons, they have all been loath to say the word "Diamond"... this hotel was no exception, I was thanked for staying with Hilton, given the cookie, drinks vouchers and premium wifi code silently, then told that breakfast was included in my rate (it actually wasn't) - all to avoid saying the word "Diamond".

There was no welcome letter but in the room there was a plate with a small chocolate cake, macaron and a solitary strawberry.

Pictures of the room are at the end; it was very spacious (and unlike the Hilton Croydon which gave me a similar room 2 years ago they had the decency not to describe it as a "suite"), plenty of plugs and lighting, air con controls did what they said, the bed was very large and comfortable and there were interesting wall decorations.

Regarding parking, there are about 6 spaces right in front of the hotel that are free between 6pm and 8am daily (this information is only on the ticket meters but not on the signposts). I initially arrived by train to check in at 2pm, but then came with the car at 9pm and there were spaces for 3 cars available at that time. This was very convenient especially as I needed to haul some items from the car to the room and back. I do not recall the prices but they were reasonable if you needed to stay an extra few hours during the chargeable period. On the other hand, the city centre one-way systems are very confusing and had there been no spaces outside the hotel, looking for other free spaces nearby would have been a convoluted matter.

Regarding public transport, Lime Street station for long-distance trains is 10 minutes walk away but involves an uphill climb towards the station and crossing a busy road. The entrance to Moorfields station is 2 minutes away but involves going up and down escalators and long walks through tunnels. Moorfields is only served by local Merseyrail trains (including to South Parkway station for LPL airport). Thus, if your train does not go to or from Moorfields directly, you would be advised to walk above ground from Lime Street rather than navigating the city circle.

In contrast to the review by paul00, the premium wifi speed was amazingly fast, and I had the opposite impression about the breakfast - the range of items was impressive but the quality left a bit to be desired. It's quite hard to make a sausage taste completely dry but they managed, the hash browns were falling to pieces and seemed to be skin without potato inside. But there were so many different types of cold meats, cheeses and fruits which are not normally seen at UK Hiltons/DT breakfasts.

There was no time to go to the spa but will have a look next time - though I want to try out the Hilton before returning here.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
I had been dithering over whether to book this or somewhere else with prices ranging around £80 in the week prior to my stay.

But the night before I was planning to arrive, it suddenly dropped to £63 so I snatched up that rate.

As per the review by paul00 from 3 years ago, the building itself was very grand yet modern. I was upgraded to a superior room on the top (4th) floor of the side building, which is the one where the spa is located. (The presidential suite occupies the entire 2nd floor of this building.)

For some reason, in the past few months' stays at UK Hiltons, they have all been loath to say the word "Diamond"... this hotel was no exception, I was thanked for staying with Hilton, given the cookie, drinks vouchers and premium wifi code silently, then told that breakfast was included in my rate (it actually wasn't) - all to avoid saying the word "Diamond".

There was no welcome letter but in the room there was a plate with a small chocolate cake, macaron and a solitary strawberry.

Pictures of the room are at the end; it was very spacious (and unlike the Hilton Croydon which gave me a similar room 2 years ago they had the decency not to describe it as a "suite"), plenty of plugs and lighting, air con controls did what they said, the bed was very large and comfortable and there were interesting wall decorations.

Regarding parking, there are about 6 spaces right in front of the hotel that are free between 6pm and 8am daily (this information is only on the ticket meters but not on the signposts). I initially arrived by train to check in at 2pm, but then came with the car at 9pm and there were spaces for 3 cars available at that time. This was very convenient especially as I needed to haul some items from the car to the room and back. I do not recall the prices but they were reasonable if you needed to stay an extra few hours during the chargeable period. On the other hand, the city centre one-way systems are very confusing and had there been no spaces outside the hotel, looking for other free spaces nearby would have been a convoluted matter.

Regarding public transport, Lime Street station for long-distance trains is 10 minutes walk away but involves an uphill climb towards the station and crossing a busy road. The entrance to Moorfields station is 2 minutes away but involves going up and down escalators and long walks through tunnels. Moorfields is only served by local Merseyrail trains (including to South Parkway station for LPL airport). Thus, if your train does not go to or from Moorfields directly, you would be advised to walk above ground from Lime Street rather than navigating the city circle.

In contrast to the review by paul00, the premium wifi speed was amazingly fast, and I had the opposite impression about the breakfast - the range of items was impressive but the quality left a bit to be desired. It's quite hard to make a sausage taste completely dry but they managed, the hash browns were falling to pieces and seemed to be skin without potato inside. But there were so many different types of cold meats, cheeses and fruits which are not normally seen at UK Hiltons/DT breakfasts.

There was no time to go to the spa but will have a look next time - though I want to try out the Hilton before returning here.

Thanks for the detailed review, it looks nice....... I’ve never stayed here but there was a program on tv about the hotel and it’s staff on c4 last year, I always choose the Hilton when in Liverpool but would happily stay here too.
Regarding breakfast- Doubletree seems to be leaning more towards cold meats, cheeses and salads nowadays and cutting back on cereals, personally I prefer cereal to start with at breakfast time then some hot food finishing with toast and coffee.......the cereals are slowly disappearing, at doubletree docklands riverside yesterday there was only 3 types , cornflakes, coco pops and rice crispies ( and two had run out ! )
:D! likes this.

Last edited by wizla; Aug 22, 2019 at 2:37 pm Reason: Additional information added
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wizla
Thanks for the detailed review, it looks nice....... I’ve never stayed here but there was a program on tv about the hotel and it’s staff on c4 last year, I always choose the Hilton when in Liverpool but would happily stay here too.
Regarding breakfast- Doubletree seems to be leaning more towards cold meats, cheeses and salads nowadays and cutting back on cereals, personally I prefer cereal to start with at breakfast time then some hot food finishing with toast and coffee.......the cereals are slowly disappearing, at doubletree docklands riverside yesterday there was only 3 types , cornflakes, coco pops and rice crispies ( and two had run out ! )
This property is the best Hilton option in Liverpool, I have never had an issue with breakfast there but the staff can get a little overwhelmed but in all respects it’s a quantum leap better than the Hilton unless a mediocre lounge is all that matters to you.

i personally would avoid the Q park and pick the much better but slightly more expensive car park across the street.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

This property is the best Hilton option in Liverpool, I have never had an issue with breakfast there but the staff can get a little overwhelmed but in all respects it’s a quantum leap better than the Hilton unless a mediocre lounge is all that matters to you.

i personally would avoid the Q park and pick the much better but slightly more expensive car park across the street.
Oh yes totally agree on the breakfast, even with my comments about Doubletree cutbacks the Hilton Liverpool definitely has the most uninspiring breakfast in a noisy/ echoing room ....probably the worst Hilton breakfast in the uk, however I’ve not tried the new lounge yet so cannot comment on that.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton Liverpool has a new F&B Manager, so I hope it has improved.

D! our paths must have crossed. Were you at the property this past week?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doubletree is my go-to hotel in Liverpool. The Hilton is really not that good, horrible breakfast room as others have noted and the general ambience is far from relaxing. DT by contrast is an oasis of calm and the rooms are really stylish and comfortable.
Land-of-Miles likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:28 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by hugolover
D! our paths must have crossed. Were you at the property this past week?
I was there on the night of 15 Aug.

Originally Posted by wizla
Hilton Liverpool definitely has the most uninspiring breakfast in a noisy/ echoing room ....probably the worst Hilton breakfast in the uk, however I’ve not tried the new lounge yet so cannot comment on that.
Interesting, maybe will wait to see if there are more positive reports before trying the Hilton.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Anybody stayed here recently since March 2020?

Planning a one night stay in early December, when lockdown restrictions are lifted.

Just wondered what benefits were being granted to diamonds/ latest car park arrangements/ breakfast offer/upgrade experiences?
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.