Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I've just completed 3 separate 1 night stays and found the hotel to be really good.

Arguably the weakest point is indeed the location, with a longish walk to MTR stations and to the A21 airport bus stops. The immediate area is not particularly attractive, although there are two malls nearby (Langham Place and Olympian City). One tip: at the B2 level of Langham Place there's a high end supermarket where around 7-8pm they mark down the very nice sushi trays, and it's a good option of you just want to grab on your way to the room and enjoy a night in (for whatever reason).

Physical Property

Very well maintained and attractive. One of the nicest HGI I've stayed at. As pointed out previously, the harbour view is a bit of a farce: only the 20th floor rooms get a proper view, from a distance, as well as the pool.

The pool seems nice, but I was there in late April, and the pool is only open between May-Oct which I found to be a bit stingy since it was around 30°C when I was there so perhaps they could consider opening in April too.

Rooms are nice, if a little compact. No external noise and sleep quality was good.

Reception is nice and I actually like the piano. It can get a bit crowded between 12-4pm with people waiting for transportation post check out.

Elite Recognition

As a Diamond, I was given rooms on high floors, a fridge full of drinks (1 TsingTao, 1 Coke, 1 Sprite, 1 Soda Water) besides 2 bottles of water. Granted 4pm checkout every time and early check in around 11am not a problem. One interesting benefit here, per welcome email, is 1 token for washing machine and dryer each which equates to a HKD 100 value (a load of washing and drying at a nearby place costs about HKD 60).

I didn't get the towel, bit received a money clip instead. On the third time I asked if they had the towel or something else as I didn't need another money clip and they found me the phone stand/wallet.

The breakfast benefit is well worth it, as the buffet is extensive and you can make a brunch out of it.

Finally, the welcome drink benefit is nice, even if the only alcohol is bottom shelf beer or wine. I found the dim sum nice, but wasn't crazy on the fish balls. All drinks come with a generous portion of peanuts.

Final Thoughts

I would definitely stay here again, despite the location, which is a little far from the more happening areas of HK. Cash rates vary wildly from as low as HK$ 750 to nearly 2000 some nights whereas point rates are nearly always 30k so it pays to check carefully on multi night stays.
RaginPlainsman and dagangwood like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:44 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I was about to book a few nights in November but found the HGI is priced at HK$1,804++ per night for a two night stay while the Conrad would be HK$2,890++ per night. The HGI is asking for HK$2,376++ on one of the nights!

I have stayed at both properties and would be happy to return to the HGI but not at the price they are charging on some nights. After carefully examining flexible dates charts I decided as follows. The alternatives and prices appear in brackets.

Days 1+2 Conrad HK @ HK$2,890++ per night (HGI HK$1,804++)
Day 3 HGI @ HK$1,056++ per night (Conrad HK HK$6,336++)
Day 4 Conrad Macau
Day 5 Conrad HK @ 80k points per night (HGI 40k points)

No idea what’s going on during the particular week but price variations are amazing. Thank goodness for variable dates charts which I don’t think are available on the app.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 22, 2019 at 4:02 am Reason: Grammar
Old May 22, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I did notice points inflation: the max rate used to be 30K until a couple of weeks ago. Now it's frequently at 40K.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RafKa
... whereas point rates are nearly always 30k so it pays to check carefully on multi night stays.
Looks like another no-notice devaluation to 40k per night, with a handful of nights in the 31-36k range.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:19 pm

Rates here are really getting pummeled by the protests: coming down from HKD1,200++ to HKD660, and most recently I've been seeing as low as HKD520 on some nights (prepaid rates) 2-4 weeks out. Points rates are down to 28k and even 25k some nights.

Meanwhile the Conrad can be had for HKD1,530++ or 54k points some nights (single occupancy).

I guess it's a gamble whether you'll experience travel disruptions, but for those of us who need to travel to HK anyway in the near future, hotel costs have come down significantly...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Accor, CX, BA
Originally Posted by RafKa
Rates here are really getting pummeled by the protests: coming down from HKD1,200++ to HKD660, and most recently I've been seeing as low as HKD520 on some nights (prepaid rates) 2-4 weeks out. Points rates are down to 28k and even 25k some nights.

Meanwhile the Conrad can be had for HKD1,530++ or 54k points some nights (single occupancy).

I guess it's a gamble whether you'll experience travel disruptions, but for those of us who need to travel to HK anyway in the near future, hotel costs have come down significantly...
newest price is HKD484.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I just booked this Sunday for $440 plus tax. Amazing.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
I just booked this Sunday for $440 plus tax. Amazing.
same, see u there
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Any update on getting to the hotel during the protests? I saw two of you were there on Sunday night.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by mike2003242
Any update on getting to the hotel during the protests? I saw two of you were there on Sunday night.
Peaceful weekend with no issue.

Despite the fact that hotel is just 5 minutes walk to the main street Natharn road, the hotel is least affected.
You may get a issue to go out, but you are perfectly safe in hotel.

just a friendly advice: beware the police. protests only get worse when police involved
:D! likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Seems OK for access. You could always get to it from Tak Cheong St too. Agree with protest advice, if the police are there, get away sharpish.

Hotel was OK. Glad i was only staying one night though, a bit too budget for a stay of any longer than that.

That said, good location for MK, very close to the Xiaomi store and easy to get to MTR.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:40 pm

just one more point to add.

the "free" breakfast provided by hotel was much better than my expectation.
i would say the buffet breakfast is better than most of the Hong Kong mid-range hotel (4 stars or below)

congee, fried noodles, dim sum, fried rice, sausage ...all the food are HK people used to eat in the morning.
the quality may not be the best, but not bad too.

(p.s. i am a local)

btw, free drinks are no longer provided in deluxe room.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Very enjoyable five night stay. I enjoyed walking through the local neighborhood and alternated between Mongkok and Yau Ma Tei stations. Lots of small merchants selling or repairing various pieces of machinery, tubing, safety equipment and ladders. There's a convenience store along Soy Street on the way towards Nathan Road.

Taken from the pedestrian overpass above the adjoining highway:

Rooftop view:

I have assorted other photos (restaurant, pool, gym) scattered about THIS PHOTO GALLERY.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Thanks for the report and photos, @tom911. I'll be staying there next month and have observed that Mongkok has seen its fair share of protests during the last few months. Did you run into any issues getting around the area during your stay?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
No problems at all, but keep in mind I flew in Sunday night and out Friday morning. The protests during the week were up near the Mong Kok police station, a couple blocks above Mong Kok MTR station, and Prince Edward, even further up Nathan Road. I ran into a lot of inoperative ticket machines, particularly when I was out in Sha Tin and Tung Chung, but there always seemed to be one working machine with a short line for cash customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.