Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by NoY
My opinions are mine. Yours are yours. I therefore am not "wrong". Furthermore this is not a hotel in the U.S. so that comparison falls on deaf ears. I AM saying that it is the worst Hilton family hotel breakfast experience that I have had. Period. The egg "cook" was pathetic. Period. Now, moving on..
In your words "Not recommended" and implying even starbucks are better than this is like saying everyone should avoid and skip this breakfast all together. Even though this is not a hotel in the US but it follows the basics of what HGI in the US provide, as it reflects on the price point as well. Just same name but different country doesnt mean it will be entirely different not unless they are charging $200+ a night consistent like Courtyard Hong kong, then you will have an exec lounge with breakfast, afternoon tea and evening reception

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 17, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:45 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
In your words "Not recommended" and implying even starbucks are better than this is like saying everyone should avoid and skip this breakfast all together. Even though this is not a hotel in the US but it follows the basics of what HGI in the US provide, as it reflects on the price point as well. Just same name but different country doesnt mean it will be entirely different not unless they are charging $200+ a night consistent like Courtyard Hong kong, then you will have an exec lounge with breakfast, afternoon tea and evening reception
YOU can recommend the breakfast but I will NOT. Starbucks IS better, in my opinion. Period. Have a very lovely day now! LOL.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by NoY
YOU can recommend the breakfast but I will NOT. Starbucks IS better, in my opinion. Period. Have a very lovely day now! LOL.
I didnt say i recommend the breakfast, it is acceptable, consider HGI is a primarily US brand, and HGI‘s breakfast in the US are quite consistent with their standard in every property. HGI Hong Kong breakfast is more than enough except it failed in orange juice, you certainly can‘t compare to the breakfast in Hilton, Sheraton, or Conrad as HGI is not at the level, HGI should always compare to mid range brands like courtyard, four points, holiday inn express, and best western plus, perhaps your expectation of HGI is too high.

With Hong Kong there are so many food choices that include plenty walking distance from HGI, i am shocked you would rather go to starbucks for unfulfilling and overpriced breakfast.
BlondeBomber likes this.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 18, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:54 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I didnt say i recommend the breakfast, it is acceptable, consider HGI is a primarily US brand, and HGI‘s breakfast in the US are quite consistent with their standard in every property. HGI Hong Kong breakfast is more than enough except it failed in orange juice, you certainly can‘t compare to the breakfast in Hilton, Sheraton, or Conrad as HGI is not at the level, HGI should always compare to mid range brands like courtyard, four points, holiday inn express, and best western plus, perhaps your expectation of HGI is too high.

With Hong Kong there are so many food choices that include plenty walking distance from HGI, i am shocked you would rather go to starbucks for unfulfilling and overpriced breakfast.
I disagree.....but clearly, you must have the last word. So please, go ahead...again.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Just spent 4 nights in the hotel. As a diamond got upgraded to the deluxe harbor view. Foggy for the first 2 days, couldn't see the harbor at all...finally caught a view on my 3rd day. While not a lie, you're nowhere near the harbor, so don't be misled into thinking you're near the waterfront.

The room was small but clean, and the breakfast was acceptable. I like the Mongkok area, and it's a rather short walk to the MTR station, so personally the value for money was there for me.

I had great interaction with the staff - front desk, breakfast, and housekeeping staff were all super friendly.

My only complaint was the thinness of the walls - most nights my neighbors went to sleep before I did, but on my second night there were some rather loud adult activities going on in the room next to mine. Luckily for me, my neighbor's middle name wasn't "stamina," and a few minutes later all was quiet.

I'd probably stay here again, but I wouldn't rave about it to anyone. 3.5/5.
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by LASNRT
My only complaint was the thinness of the walls - most nights my neighbors went to sleep before I did, but on my second night there were some rather loud adult activities going on in the room next to mine. Luckily for me, my neighbor's middle name wasn't "stamina," and a few minutes later all was quiet.
Lol! This happened to me as well, and those walls are thin. Judging by the lady's overly enthusiastic exclamations, I hazard my neighbor invited someone up from the lineup on the next block that appears after the 'home depot' stores close.

While I found the hotel perfectly satisfactory, the staff professional, the breakfast acceptable (but boring), and the area safe; I would not want to explain to my young daughter why those young ladies in white blouses and black shorts are sitting out there each evening as you walk back to the HGI.

Of course, when you stay at a higher end hotel in Hong Kong, you just see higher end ladies in the evening.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
Lol! This happened to me as well, and those walls are thin. Judging by the lady's overly enthusiastic exclamations, I hazard my neighbor invited someone up from the lineup on the next block that appears after the 'home depot' stores close.

While I found the hotel perfectly satisfactory, the staff professional, the breakfast acceptable (but boring), and the area safe; I would not want to explain to my young daughter why those young ladies in white blouses and black shorts are sitting out there each evening as you walk back to the HGI.

Of course, when you stay at a higher end hotel in Hong Kong, you just see higher end ladies in the evening.
Haha, yes, right there at the corner of Soy Street & Reclamation Street! My travel companion saw one of those young ladies walking away with a gentleman as we were passing by and said (a bit too loudly for my comfort) "one of those hoo-ers has been reclaimed!" I was still laughing well beyond the MTR fare gates...

They don't seem to approach any tourists at all - we were two males - so while I certainly wouldn't want to explain it to a young daughter what's going on, at least it's not as in your face as some other places.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Despite reading about those 'interesting' activities, I am wondering how's this hotel suited for end of the year for the NYE's celebration/fireworks - was thinking about the Sheraton, but I guess prices will be absurd. I know the HGI is not at the harbour, but seems to be walkable from googlemap.

As for the 'activities', wonder why the hotel does not have more restrictive policy for them - even it might not be followed - they should put up signs that only registered guests are allowed into the guest rooms at any time. This will at least make those into these activities think twice before bringing someone up.

I've stayed before at the Courtyard (which I put into the same category as the HGI), the building quality was much better, therefore I've expected the same for the HGI - but rather not amused with these thin walls.

Cheers!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Despite reading about those 'interesting' activities, I am wondering how's this hotel suited for end of the year for the NYE's celebration/fireworks - was thinking about the Sheraton, but I guess prices will be absurd. I know the HGI is not at the harbour, but seems to be walkable from googlemap.
Yes it’s fine. I have stayed there over NYE and certainly it was more affordable than some other options.

I guess you could walk it but since the MTR will run all through the night on NYE you can just get that back up to Mong Kok.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA

Yes it’s fine. I have stayed there over NYE and certainly it was more affordable than some other options.

I guess you could walk it but since the MTR will run all through the night on NYE you can just get that back up to Mong Kok.
Thanks for the info. I did a quick check and my gosh.. prices are already at 2770++ HKD per night (or 30k points) and you need to book it for 2 nights min starting from the 30th
I will check out other properties either in the area or outside since now I know that the metro will be running the whole night. Can't see myself paying that much for what I consider a mouse hole. Will continue to check out the prices once in a while.. but gosh..even for NYE...if this was around the Sydney harbour area I would imagine,...

Cheers!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Thanks for the info. I did a quick check and my gosh.. prices are already at 2770++ HKD per night (or 30k points) and you need to book it for 2 nights min starting from the 30th
I will check out other properties either in the area or outside since now I know that the metro will be running the whole night. Can't see myself paying that much for what I consider a mouse hole. Will continue to check out the prices once in a while.. but gosh..even for NYE...if this was around the Sydney harbour area I would imagine,...
Obviously a time to book using points. $120-140 per night worth of points is a much better option.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:35 am

As for the 'activities', wonder why the hotel does not have more restrictive policy for them - even it might not be followed - they should put up signs that only registered guests are allowed into the guest rooms at any time. This will at least make those into these activities think twice before bringing someone up.

I've stayed before at the Courtyard (which I put into the same category as the HGI), the building quality was much better, therefore I've expected the same for the HGI - but rather not amused with these thin walls.

Cheers!
To clarify on my post - the walls were thin but I believe my noisy neighbor was actually with his wife and didn't bring an outside guest. The street we were discussing is a few blocks away in between the hotel and Nathan Road ;-)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:20 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I've stayed here 5 times now, most recently earlier this month.

I received 3 welcome gifts as a Diamond...The microfiber towel (mine too was more of a dusty gray color versus the gold one shown here, probably differentiated because of being a Diamond, versus Gold). Also received one of those stick-on-the-back cellphone stands and I honestly can't remember the 3rd thing at the moment. All were emblazoned with the HH logo.

I was upgraded a 'junior suite'. It's about 20% larger than their standard rooms and is more of a studio 'suite'--I'd say it's a stretch to call it a suite, as there's no divider, no separate room, no sofa bed, and is probably still smaller than your standard suburban hotel room in the US. There are only 2 of these Junior Suites in the whole hotel, on the 20th (top) floor. I've also stayed in their big suite as well, only one on property also on the 20th floor (to the far right as you exit the elevators)...That one is indeed bigger, about 2.2X bigger than the standard room as it does have a separate living room, rather large bathroom and great corner windows facing 2 directions.

I too had the 'comped fridge of drinks', although this time I had 6 cans of various things, which did match my contents in previous stays. One beer, the rest soft drinks.

They changed the 'welcome meal' for Diamonds. Previously it was a choice of two entree-sized dishes, with the fried noodles actually being an outstanding dish that I was looking forward to enjoying one night. This time I was less than impressed and selected the dim sum, which ended up being 3-4 pieces that didn't taste spectacular.

I actually thought breakfast improved in the 6 months since I had been there last. In 5 days, I saw more rotation this time than over previous stays. Eggs weren't horrible and contrary to the welcome meal, the dim sum was pretty good. I found the coffee to actually be very good, as it is in most western hotels in HK/China these days. Made on a per-cup basis from an espresso machine. It's strong and flavorful.

...Then again, I'm relatively easy to please.

Contrary to others, I'm constantly hounded by the touts when I walk Soy Street after dark. Always getting asked if I want "nice girl" by the girls' handlers.
Beano likes this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jan 23, 2019 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I am wondering how's this hotel suited for end of the year for the NYE's celebration/fireworks - was thinking about the Sheraton, but I guess prices will be absurd. I know the HGI is not at the harbour, but seems to be walkable from googlemap.
The HGI is a very convenient location, close to a lot of transport, food, shopping and fairly cost effective, but everything goes up for NYE. It does sound like time to make an award reservation.

Originally Posted by LASNRT
To clarify on my post - the walls were thin but I believe my noisy neighbor was actually with his wife and didn't bring an outside guest. The street we were discussing is a few blocks away in between the hotel and Nathan Road ;-)
Of course, a hotel guest can bring his or her own guests to their room, you expect that any time you rent a room. However, the white and black 'uniforms' are awfully easy to spot. At luxury hotels in HK, it's just that you will find taller, more beautiful, dressed-to-the-nines ladies waiting at the elevator banks for their 'hosts' to collect them.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
We stayed here a few weeks ago. Also got the towel, meal and drinks voucher as a Diamond member.

The dimsum was very good. I can´t remember the other choice.

Drinks were served with nuts

Towel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.