Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:52 am

Just done my third stay at the HGI and the HGI is downright awful. First stay (~2 weeks into the soft opening) was okay, partner gold benefits were honored at check-in, service was so-so but acceptable. Breakfast was very mediocre, although staff can be pretty rude sometimes and very strict about breakfast ending time (they literally take the buffet items away at 10:30:01) Restaurant staff was obviously not good with English (even for the manager)
Second stay was downright disgusting. Services were non-existent at check-in, partner gold benefits was rudely decline (which while I knew I wasn't entitled to, I'd expect some politeness). Got to the room, there was an extremely strong odor smell, no success with air conditioning. Tried calling down to front desk, took us 20 mins and three calls to talk to someone and have someone to check with the condition of the room. A cleaning lady was sent and try to spray some chemicals which I politely declined since I'm pretty allergic to those stuff and I knew once those chemicals are gone the odor will be back. The cleaning lady was pretty helpful and polite (perhaps even better than the front desk staff), helped us called down to the front desk and ask for an alternative room. Headed straight to the front desk and got new room keys. The new room was better but lots of wears and tears (despite the hotel's only been open for a month only). Faulty fire alarm went on early in the morning, with no announcement or whatsoever from the hotel, followed by lots of noises from fire engines etc.. Both my partner and I couldn't get a good sleep after so much noises, basically ruined our rest. No mention of the incident at check-out, at which point I just gave up with dealing with the staff.
Third stay was disgusting as well, we found blood stain left on the sheets of the bed as we enter the room. But as we're just doing mattress run and not staying for the night, we just chose to ignore it.

In short: Avoid this hotel unless you have absolute no choice.

Last edited by Redwoodw; Feb 5, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:45 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Redwoodw
partner gold benefits was rudely decline (which while I knew I wasn't entitled to, I'd expect some politeness).
Can you clarify what you mean by partner gold benefits were declined? Do you mean your partner is Honors Gold and was traveling with you, but the reservation was under your name?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Can you clarify what you mean by partner gold benefits were declined? Do you mean your partner is Honors Gold and was traveling with you, but the reservation was under your name?
Yes, that's right.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:40 pm
jxd

Just done my third stay at the HGI and the HGI is downright awful. First stay (~2 weeks into the soft opening) was okay, partner gold benefits were honored at check-in, service was so-so but acceptable. Breakfast was very mediocre, although staff can be pretty rude sometimes and very strict about breakfast ending time (they literally take the buffet items away at 10:30:01) Restaurant staff was obviously not good with English (even for the manager)
Second stay was downright disgusting. Services were non-existent at check-in, partner gold benefits was rudely decline (which while I knew I wasn't entitled to, I'd expect some politeness). Got to the room, there was an extremely strong odor smell, no success with air conditioning. Tried calling down to front desk, took us 20 mins and three calls to talk to someone and have someone to check with the condition of the room. A cleaning lady was sent and try to spray some chemicals which I politely declined since I'm pretty allergic to those stuff and I knew once those chemicals are gone the odor will be back. The cleaning lady was pretty helpful and polite (perhaps even better than the front desk staff), helped us called down to the front desk and ask for an alternative room. Headed straight to the front desk and got new room keys. The new room was better but lots of wears and tears (despite the hotel's only been open for a month only). Faulty fire alarm went on early in the morning, with no announcement or whatsoever from the hotel, followed by lots of noises from fire engines etc.. Both my partner and I couldn't get a good sleep after so much noises, basically ruined our rest. No mention of the incident at check-out, at which point I just gave up with dealing with the staff.
Third stay was disgusting as well, we found blood stain left on the sheets of the bed as we enter the room. But as we're just doing mattress run and not staying for the night, we just chose to ignore it.

In short: Avoid this hotel unless you have absolute no choice.
Even you're not staying you should be entitled to some form of compensation.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by jxd
Even you're not staying you should be entitled to some form of compensation.
At that point we're pretty done with dealing with the FD staffs, so we decided to just move on.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Booked this for an upcoming stay in April. I have stayed in HGIs elsewhere in the world before and am generally fine with them. However, reading some of the reports I now wonder if I have made a big error.

Unfortunately (and stupidly!) I booked a non-refundable rate so I am stuck with this one. Will see how it turns out and will report back.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:49 am

Just an update, complained to corporate regarding the fire alarm issue during the second stay, requested a refund under the Satisfaction Guarantee. Was told to wait for 72 hours for response from hotel, guess what? The hotel wouldn't even bother to respond. After waiting for a few days, pressed the corporate guys to get me a response. Was given the option of a BMG certificate that can ONLY be used at HGIs, which I declined since there ain't much HGIs in Asia. Got 30000 points in the end in lieu of the refund. Still frustrated and angered by the fact how the HGI basically don't care about their guests and their guests' feedback. And I haven't even start about my third stay...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Still frustrated and angered by the fact how the HGI basically don't care about their guests and their guests' feedback. And I haven't even start about my third stay...
Be sure to post a TA review. That is the best way to share a negative experience and warn other travelers to stay away.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
I have a 15night stay booked soon.

Pondering whether to look elsewhere since its a refundable rate..
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
This place is not off to a good start..

Will be there one night on the 23rd and not excited..

Globalist
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Stayed here with a friend on a recent trip. As an HH Diamond I'm a strong advocate of Hilton worldwide and very familiar with all Hilton Family brands. This property is NOT operating to HGI brand standard. Not sure whats going on here as a new property, and in this part of the world hospitality service levels are normally particularly High.
No Diamond recognition. No upgrade. When I requested they wanted to charge me an extortionate amount of money. Restaurant staff are simply rude, have no concept of customer service and free diamond breakfast was refused and we were simply told to sign the bill. Restaurant manager said we had to pay and to take it up with reception. Reception said but you have signed the bill!!! Duty manager finally agreed to take breakfast charge off when I asked him to telephone the diamond desk!!!
Rooms are very noisy with ineffective double glazing . To be fair our room was smartly furnished and spotlessly clean. It was however VERY small. This property should not be operating under the Hilton brand. Rooftop pool is currently closed small functional gym.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
There are indeed few bad review on the web about this HGI; it looks like the customer experience delivered by the staff needs to improve but, more worryingly, is that the hotel seems reluctant in delivery the basic Honors benefits such the breakfast for Gold/Diamond.
I would accept a mistake during the opening week but Honors' knowledge should be fixed by now
I have three days booked in June, refundable rate, I'll keep this monitored.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Hard to believe this property is so screwed up. New construction. First Hilton Garden Inn branded property in Hong Kong... Conrad Hong Kong sets the bar high but this property is not even getting the basics right.

Hilton Corporate? Does anyone care about these issues? Fire alarms going off at random times for no reason are unacceptable to all guests and should have been fixed after about the third day. Improper delivery of HHonors Benefits likely only impacts a small segment of customers but those are frequent customers so that should be important to Hilton Corporate too.

Where were the trainers when this property opened?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:50 pm

I'm here for 4 nights from 26th and will report back
We secured a good p and c rate
My partner is a London born Cantonese and will be interesting to see how we are treated !
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:11 pm

I have booked 5 nights with a cheap point rate (as have been mentioned). I'll hold on to it and see if i hear reports of improvements, and simply drop it and look elsewhere if not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.