Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Double charged (adv. purchase and checkout)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Has this happened to anybody else recently? I stayed this weekend at a Hampton Inn. I had booked a prepaid rate (HHonors Advance Purchase promotion in May) and my credit card was charged.

On checkout I didn't pay close attention to the emailed receipt. Today I was checking if the points from the stay had been awarded, I opened the receipt and saw that there was no mention in it that the stay had been prepaid. I looked at my credit card account and, sure enough, there is a (still pending) authorisation for the whole amount of my stay. I have called the hotel, spoken to the manager and they have told me that they would investigate and call me back (it seems they didn't get the money from Hilton). They have asked for the reservation confirmation email (which says that it is a prepaid rate).

I was wondering whether this could be a glitch of these HHonors Discount Advance Purchase fares.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Has this happened to anybody else recently? I stayed this weekend at a Hampton Inn. I had booked a prepaid rate (HHonors Advance Purchase promotion in May) and my credit card was charged.

On checkout I didn't pay close attention to the emailed receipt. Today I was checking if the points from the stay had been awarded, I opened the receipt and saw that there was no mention in it that the stay had been prepaid. I looked at my credit card account and, sure enough, there is a (still pending) authorisation for the whole amount of my stay. I have called the hotel, spoken to the manager and they have told me that they would investigate and call me back (it seems they didn't get the money from Hilton). They have asked for the reservation confirmation email (which says that it is a prepaid rate).

I was wondering whether this could be a glitch of these HHonors Discount Advance Purchase fares.
Unless the pending charge posts, I would hold off on worrying. If it posts chargeback or call Hilton.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good advice. If it actually posts. Just do a chargeback. You've already called the property, so no need to call again.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Check your CC statement and you should see the property actually processed the advanced payment and not Hilton. The FDC probably ran your CC for approval in case of incidentals and should show as pending. Your folio should show an initial credit on the account with charges making up the stay expenses. Any difference should be charged to your card. If there were no incidentals the authorization should cycle off.

This is a good reason to not use a debit card at a hotel as that's money out of your account until it posts or clears. As it is, it's a reduction of your credit line.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Check your CC statement and you should see the property actually processed the advanced payment and not Hilton. The FDC probably ran your CC for approval in case of incidentals and should show as pending. Your folio should show an initial credit on the account with charges making up the stay expenses
No, Hilton processed the advanced payment and my folio does not show the initial credit, that's the point. The hotel have treated it as if it wasn't a prepaid rate, it is not just the usual authorisation for incidentals.

Anyway, I'm not really worried since it is not a huge amount that would have an impact on my credit line while the issue is solved, I was mostly curious to see if it had happened to anybody else.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Yllanes
No, Hilton processed the advanced payment and my folio does not show the initial credit, that's the point. The hotel have treated it as if it wasn't a prepaid rate, it is not just the usual authorisation for incidentals.

Anyway, I'm not really worried since it is not a huge amount that would have an impact on my credit line while the issue is solved, I was mostly curious to see if it had happened to anybody else.
Every AdvPay I've done has been charged by the property, as they are the ones the set the rules for the rates. If they are not able to clear it post haste, then I would challenge the AdvPay charge since it wasn't processed properly.

Good luck.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Quick resolution: The hotel has called me back saying that they have removed the charge. Their explanation: "It was something new [Hilton] started, so we just weren't sure whether we needed to charge you or not".

I agree with RogerD408 that my previous adv purchases had been charged by the property, so it seems like there actually was some change in how they process it (or there was something different for this particular rate) and the property made a mistake.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Not sure if there's a more appropriate thread on this, couldn't find one...

Have been charged twice - once by Hilton AdvPurch Memphis and once by the actual hotel, for a stay coming up in April.

Been on the phone for ages to CS but no one seems to have any idea what has happened. Never experienced this before.. the answer seems to be that they will 'send an email to the hotel requesting a refund' - but nothing more concrete than that..

Any tips?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Don't call customer service. Call the hotel directly.

Neil
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by missamo80
Don't call customer service. Call the hotel directly.

Neil
Definitely this. Seems hotel managers are more willing to offer customer service since it affects their hotel's reputation.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA
Double charged (adv purchase with points and at checkout)

Same thing just happened to me at two separate Hampton Inns this weekend.

I booked the stay using only HHonors points, but after checkout I was charged for the full rate. As the previous poster mentioned, it wasn't just the usual hold for incidentals -- the charges posted.

This occurred at two separate Hampton Inns in the exact same way which leads me to think there's a systematic issue.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
This just happened to me (or rather I'm just noticing). I called the hotel and they said I was correct and would reverse the charge. Sucks that the onus falls on me, but at least I caught it.

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 14, 2019 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:50 am

Curious if it matters or not -- for you who were double charged: Did they just double-charge to the card on file or did also you provide them a card to scan at check in?

Last edited by B3nder; Aug 14, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

In my case (it has happened twice to me) I did not provide any card. They charged the same one I had used to place the reservation.
B3nder likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by B3nder
Curious if it matters or not -- for you who were double charged: Did they just double-charge to the card on file or did also you provide them a card to scan at check in?
I used the mobile key check in, never talked to an agent and no swiping my card. The receipt from my stay shows the charge on my checkout date, no mention of prepay anywhere on it. It was the card I prepaid with, which I also do not think is on my hilton profile.
B3nder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.