Award Stay

Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Award stay

I stayed 10 days ago in a Hilton on an award. The points are still in my account but the hotel appears in the last five hotels booked list.
So how long does it take till the points will be taken from my account or should I book a new stay so that there are no points left to deduct?

Tim
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:19 pm

The points should of been taken out when you requested the cert's. I would wait and see, if the points stay you got a freebie. However, I would not try to double dip on the points yet.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 5:37 pm

Did you have a certificate in hand? If not, be sure to check your credit card statement to make sure you were not charged. If you did have a certificate, it really is strange that the points were not deducted the day the cert. was printed.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

The points are gone...

Tim
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:51 am

award stay?

stayed at a Hilton property on an award stay. My award cert wasn't collected. Bill was $0.

Has this happened to anyone?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Since you can print the award certificates up yourself for most awards all the hotel needs is the certificate number which you presumably had to give them when you checked in or out. If that's the case then you won't be able to redeposit it, use it again, etc. -- which is what I presume you're really asking about above.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Welcome to FT willtravel22,

I'm sure the hotel called HHonors and had them fax the award with YOUR award certificate number. Back in the days when Hilton would horseback mail the awards and I was gone, I had the number and they called HHoners. This happened at the delightful Hilton YVR.

SHADO
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Actually, I think willtravel22 is saying they didn't get the cert or the number. I had this happen more than once.

First time, I called on my own the next day and just gave them the number.

Second time, I decided to wait and see what would happen. About 4 weeks later I got a voice mail from the auditor at the property: "Hello Mr. Rut Dog, regarding your recent award stay, we don't have a certificate on file. Please provide us with a certificate number within 48 hours or we will charge your credit card for the stay. Thank you and have a good day."

I faxed them the cert, and never got charged. But obviously, they did catch it.

Don't think you can get away with not turning in your cert. HHonors pays the hotel cash for certs, and they will eventually miss them.

Besides, it's stealing.

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
Award Stay

Just got 3 day award for July 04'at Cavalieri in Rome. Was surprised any were available during the peak season.

[This message has been edited by passmf (edited Dec 28, 2003).]
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:44 am

Booking award stay for family

In short, I booked an award stay to Conrad Maldives and now would like to book another award stay for the same days for my brother and his wife. He doesnt have HHonors, but does have a huge amount of amex points available. Here is my train of thoughts, please let me know what you think:

- He transfers his amex points to my HHonors account
- I book an award stay using hhonors and VIP point stretcher award

Is this possible?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:44 am

Best Continental US Property to Redeem 1 Week Reward Stay?

I am looking for your opinions on the best property in the continental US to redeem a 1 week reward stay? I doubt I'll have the miles for tickets to Hawaii in time, so we would like to stay closer to home. Any suggestions for resorts or non-resort properties that are in great areas or just exceptional in design and amenities?

We wouldn't be opposed to somewhere out west or a great coastal property. Travel will be in late September, so I would lik to avoid the Caribbean due to hurricane season. The Hilton in Cabo, while not in the con-US is also currently on the list. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Wrong Awards Pulled for Award Stay

I had a couple of QF3N's expiring soon that I had yet to redeem, so I decided to go ahead and use one at the Waldorf-Astoria Orlando, which is hardly an ideal use given the plethora of other well-priced options in the area. I called in to make my reservation and tell the woman I want to use a QF3N expiring and such and such a date, she informs me it's been redeemed. Huh, I could have sworn I hadn't redeemed it ...

I asked her about my next one, expiring a month later, which I don't think I've redeemed ... redeemed too.

So, I ask her if she can see what hotel I redeemed it, she tells me the Hilton Dubrovnik. Okay, I did stay there, and it was an award stay, but I'm 99.9% sure I had redeemed a four-night AXON stay there. At this point she transfers me to the Diamond Desk, because she was just a general reservaion rep (I had called 1-800-HHONORS instead of looking for the Diamond Desk number).

I explain to this agent what happened and then ask her if she can confirm I redeemed 125,000 points for an AXON before that stay, and after a few minutes she says I did, but that the award has not been used.

Ultimately, it appears that the Hilton Dubrovnik had two QF3N's pulled from my account for payment on my four night award stay, but not the AXON award. In the end, this worked out well for me because they refunded the 125,000 points for my AXON award, so I got 125,000 points for two QF3N certs that I wasn't going to be able to make great use of anyway.

I just wanted to pass this story along as a cautionary tale, I'm certainly happy with the outcome, but just be aware that what award gets pulled for an award stay may not be the right award!
Old May 22, 2016, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Award Stay

I was looking at a beach resort hotel tonight. I was signed in as a Diamond. If I looked to book Fri - Sun either paid or award, there was no availability. If I looked to book Fri - Mon, plenty of availability.

My question - when I looked at the description for the Fri-Mon, the award room rate description said "Diamond benefit to override any minimum stay" - which I think most of them do. Therefore, shouldn't I be able to get a room on points Fri- Sun (and not have to stay until monday) - or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Try to use the flexible dates option and look for each individual night.
Then you might see where the problem is - perhaps one of the nights is sold out and the hotel has decided to overbook anyway if you stay 3 nights but not 2.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by helosc
Try to use the flexible dates option and look for each individual night.
Then you might see where the problem is - perhaps one of the nights is sold out and the hotel has decided to overbook anyway if you stay 3 nights but not 2.
Yep, this.

The other thing that might happen if you search each of your two nights is there might be individual nights available Friday and Saturday in different room types. If this is the case you can do two different bookings (provided you can work with the room types, of course). The property might actually make you move rooms, but often times finds a way to make it work. I've definitely had this happen before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.