Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resort Fee for Award Stays?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:03 am

Resort fee charged on award stay?

Hello, I recently booked a reservation at Hilton Orlando, all with points. When I booked, no dollar amount was called out, but the confirmation email called out the resort fee amount plus the taxes for the resort fee. I thought the resort fee was covered when using all points for booking?
Rate:208.13 USD:Taxes33.13 USDResort Charge175.00 USDTotal for Stay 208.13 USD
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM, WN A+/CP, HH Diamond
I did the same and when all was done I didn’t pay any money out of pocket. I got the same confirmation and I planned on paying the resort fee but it never came up.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
From the terms and conditions -
At hotels with resort fees, members on reward stays booked using all Points, or using a Promotional free night reward (e.g., issued by credit card partners, etc.) will not pay resort fees.
https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...ard_redemption
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:50 pm

Just saw the same thing. Reservation email calls out the Resort Fee. Want to make sure it's waived. Only complication is that it's a free night award + points stay. But as both parts should have the fee waived, I think I'm in the clear.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
"Mandatory Fee" - Applicable to Award Booking?

Hi everyone,

Booked an award stay at the Distrikt in NYC and I've noticed there's a "$25 Mandatory Fee" added underneath where it tells me what the points cost was (booked wholly with points, not a $+Points booking).

My understanding was that these type of fees were waived with Award stays? I mean it's essentially a resort fee whatever way you want to slice it/call it.

Will definitely be called the Diamond Desk to discuss but wanted to see if anyone had experiences of this shadiness before?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:35 am

Here's the Terms and Conditions that confirm your understanding (emphasis mine to point out the relevant sentence):

Reward Redemption
18. Hotel Reward Stays apply to full Point redemptions or Point redemptions combined with money. Redemption stays can be used for Standard Rooms or Premium Rooms; both Reward types are for double occupancy room rate. Additional occupants, age 19 and above, are subject to the standard extra person charges. Any tax liability incurred (if any) in connection with the receipt and/or use of Hilton Honors Rewards, including, but not limited to, local or city occupancy taxes, international departure tax, customs fees, airport surcharges, non-resident tourism fees or individual income tax is the sole responsibility of the user. Incidental charges are the responsibility of the user. At hotels with resort fees, members on reward stays booked using all Points, or using a Promotional free night reward (e.g., issued by credit card partners, etc.) will not pay resort fees.
Source:https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...emptionSection

Yes, it's conceivable that the hotel might try to claim that their "Daily Mandatory Charge" isn't a resort fee. But, I would hope that Hilton Corporate wouldn't allow that to happen, as it's pretty slimy.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
You could also dispute the fee with your credit card when you get home.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Mailed Hilton & the hotel directly; the hotel confirmed it won't apply to the award booking.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Hi everyone,

Booked an award stay at the Distrikt in NYC and I've noticed there's a "$25 Mandatory Fee" added underneath where it tells me what the points cost was (booked wholly with points, not a $+Points booking).

My understanding was that these type of fees were waived with Award stays? I mean it's essentially a resort fee whatever way you want to slice it/call it.

Will definitely be called the Diamond Desk to discuss but wanted to see if anyone had experiences of this shadiness before?
Similar thing happened to me when booking the Hilton Hawaiian Village last year. Initially the resort fee was added to my folio but I disputed it. Resort Fees and this mandatory fee in NYC are such BS, I avoid staying at the properties that have them if possible, even on points stays.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Per the T&C (as helpfully quoted above), resort fees are not charged on awards. It's not uncommon for award confirm emails to incorrectly reference a resort fee. That doesn't mean it will actually be charged.

Waste of time to call anyone unless you actually get charged at check-out.
writerguyfl and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:08 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Mailed Hilton & the hotel directly; the hotel confirmed it won't apply to the award booking.
That's good to know. I recently got stuck with a mandatory $25 "destination fee" on a Marriott Reward Stay in NYC. Another reason to pick Hilton over Marriott.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Good morning all,

Recently booked a 4 night award stay at a Hilton resort, understanding that no resort fees would be due with this reservation. And like posts above, the confirmation email erroneously called out the total resort fees for the stay at the bottom of the email. So nothing out of the norm there.

However, about 1 week after booking (and 3 months before our actual stay), I saw a charge for what looks like 1 nights worth of resort fee plus taxes billed to the card on file. Has anyone ever experienced this mystery charge on an award stay, especially at 3 months out from the actual stay?

I am going to let the transaction post and then call the hotel and get an explanation. But any info you have would be appreciated!

Thx

EDIT/UPDATE:

Called Hilton Accounting and they confirmed it is a "placeholder" charge for the resort fee amount of 1 night + plus tax. Since it is a reward stay and they could not charge an actual room rate $$$ for one night., the utilize the resort fee amount The $$$ will be added to the folio as a credit against any room charges. Which I am OK with, but now I have to remember to keep an eye on it during the trip.

Never had this placeholder charge so far in advance of the stay at any other hotel property, save a pre-paid rate.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jtav559; Dec 18, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Dec 22, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
I have the same thing happening with an upcoming stay. I have two rooms broken into two reservations and they charged 4 one night resort fees. I absolutely need to remember to get this combined/worked out when we get there. Then charges disappeared for the annual resort credit. I did wonder if I changed hotels what would happen with the resort credit component.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
If I book one night paid and one night with a FNC, am I charged the resort fee for one or two nights?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
If I book one night paid and one night with a FNC, am I charged the resort fee for one or two nights?
Assuming you have two separate reservations you'll be charged the fee for the paid night and no fee for the free night. If you've somehow booked it as a single reservation you should be able to note at check in/out that the free night should not be charged the fee (and let us know how you booked it as a single reservation - I'm curious because I'd like to do that, but I'm not certain it can be done).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.