Wiki Posts
Search

Resort Fee for Award Stays?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Need
Hehe good try.
My "try" is to get consistent and meaningful use of terminology. The Terms and Conditions define a Reward Stay, and HonorsRepresentative says a reward stay is not subject to resort fees. It seems pretty simple.

I find it irritating when some organization "enhances" a product to the point that it is incomprehensible. It is even more irritating when the product is comprehensible and the organization says, "That's not what it means." If it isn't what it means, don't say it; say what it means instead.

Sorry for the rant, but it was heartfelt.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
This is nothing new. Resort Fee has always been charged on points and money stays. Resort Fee is not charged on 100% Points stays.

Rather than do a Points & Money stay at a Resort, with Hilton, you are better off booking separate reservations and do 100% Points for half of the stay and pay cash for the other half.

Same thing over at Hyatt...
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:47 am

The terminology was relevant when cash and points earns no HHonors points even for the cash part. Similarly, the old terms was written to address back-to-back paid and award stays as it renders the entire period an award stay and no points given. Have not looked at the T&C for a while but it would seem that it is time for a review if it was not already done.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:24 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Shared the feedback on this thread with the Hilton Honors team - we're going to update the T&Cs to avoid any potential confusion going forward. In the meantime, clarifying that if someone is staying on a Points & Money stay, he/she will be required to pay for applicable taxes and fees (including resort fees) because there’s a paid component to the stay. Only 100% Points stays would be eligible to have the resort fee waived.

Let me know if that makes sense/if you all have any other questions. Happy to relay them back to the team.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Is it true that you don´t have to pay the 25 $ Resort Fee at Hilton Singer Island, Fl. if you book the Hotel fully with Points?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Kubi
Is it true that you don´t have to pay the 25 $ Resort Fee at Hilton Singer Island, Fl. if you book the Hotel fully with Points?
It is true at any Hilton family property.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Shared the feedback on this thread with the Hilton Honors team - we're going to update the T&Cs to avoid any potential confusion going forward. In the meantime, clarifying that if someone is staying on a Points & Money stay, he/she will be required to pay for applicable taxes and fees (including resort fees) because there’s a paid component to the stay. Only 100% Points stays would be eligible to have the resort fee waived.

Let me know if that makes sense/if you all have any other questions. Happy to relay them back to the team.

Thanks!
Lauren
Hi Lauren

Please suggest to remove the resort fee for diamond and gold members because it is purely a scam.
The resort fee almost always covers everything we earned with our loyalty.

I refuse to stay at any property charging a resort fee.

Simply hate them.
Saidoh likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by Need
I think you will be charged. If you try to use the slider, it shows resort fee from 5000 points used to anywhere except the far right using all points. The resort fee disappears when you use ALL points.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks!
Lauren
Bolding mine: Apologies for bumping this thread but I'm confused as to if this is still the case...

I booked a points only reservation in February for the Tropicana Doubletree in LAS from October 6-8 of this year for myself with one king bed and I'm looking at changing the reservation to 2 queen beds.

When I booked the reservation, there was no mention of a resort fee being charged but when I look at the T&C's for the proposed change, I see this

Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Guest internet access; fitness center access; valet/self parking; buy 1-get 1 free cocktail, beer or wine in Oakville Steakhouse 5PM-7PM daily; 2 for 1 at the Laugh Factory; 2 bottles of water per day; local & toll-free calls
In addition, when doing a "dummy booking" at the same hotel for various dates, I see the same message saying that the resort fee will be charged

So with all of that, will I be charged a resort fee or will I not be charged a resort fee
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Apologies for bumping this thread but I'm confused as to if this is still the case...

I booked a points only reservation in February for the Tropicana Doubletree in LAS from October 6-8 of this year for myself with one king bed and I'm looking at changing the reservation to 2 queen beds.

When I booked the reservation, there was no mention of a resort fee being charged but when I look at the T&C's for the proposed change, I see this

In addition, when doing a "dummy booking" at the same hotel for various dates, I see the same message saying that the resort fee will be charged

So with all of that, will I be charged a resort fee or will I not be charged a resort fee
From HonorsRepresentative in Feb specifically regarding Trop in LAS

"...We contacted the hotel and spoke with the Front Desk Team. They confirmed that if the reservation is 100% on Points, the resort fee is waived. If the stay is Points & Money, then the resort fee is charged since there is a paid portion"
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Seabilly
From HonorsRepresentative in Feb specifically regarding Trop in LAS

"...We contacted the hotel and spoke with the Front Desk Team. They confirmed that if the reservation is 100% on Points, the resort fee is waived. If the stay is Points & Money, then the resort fee is charged since there is a paid portion"
I've searched and I can't find that post you reference-any chance you can provide the direct link to the post?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've searched and I can't find that post you reference-any chance you can provide the direct link to the post?
Sorry Goalie, I should have given more information. It was a reply to a PM I sent to the Honors Rep. I mentioned it previously in the Trop thread here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29412863-post203.html

This goes along with everything I've ever experienced with Hilton, no matter what the reservation states. I'm booked for there for CES next year and wanted clarification after what someone brought up in the Trop thread. For me, I won't stay at the Trop except on points because of the resort fee. If I'm paying cash, I'll stay at one of the Embassy Suites.

The Trop doesn't have a good rep otherwise with Hilton, the breakfast buffet that comes and goes is an example. Recommend you either reach out to Lauren directly or the hotel themselves and get something that you can push back on should it come down to it.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:05 am
cjd

Lauren recently confirmed again that no resort fees are payable on 100% Award stays. See post no 28 of this thread:
Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
Lauren recently confirmed again that no resort fees are payable on 100% Award stays. See post no 28 of this thread:
Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”
Thank you ^ as I missed that post

Originally Posted by Seabilly
Sorry Goalie, I should have given more information. It was a reply to a PM I sent to the Honors Rep. I mentioned it previously in the Trop thread here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29412863-post203.html

This goes along with everything I've ever experienced with Hilton, no matter what the reservation states. I'm booked for there for CES next year and wanted clarification after what someone brought up in the Trop thread. For me, I won't stay at the Trop except on points because of the resort fee. If I'm paying cash, I'll stay at one of the Embassy Suites.

The Trop doesn't have a good rep otherwise with Hilton, the breakfast buffet that comes and goes is an example. Recommend you either reach out to Lauren directly or the hotel themselves and get something that you can push back on should it come down to it.
No worries and thank you ^

And as to the Tropicana, it's the guys' (going all the way back to Jr. High) group 60th birthday* weekend and the hotel was from the group consensus (and besides, "some thing tells me" that we're not gonna be spending a lot of time in our rooms )

*<inserting my Boston accent here>, yes, I'm an old faht
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:52 am

Just reporting back from my points only stay at the Hilton/Doubletree/Tropicana in LAS this past weekend that there was no resort fee charged (and I did ask at check-in just to confirm where the agent said "you're good to go as there is no resort fee charged on points only stays")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.