Resort Fee for Award Stays?

Old Jun 19, 14, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by PedroNY View Post
It was nice in Hawaii, as it runs at $25-30/night at other SPG and Marriott properties. I do realize last year some things were devalued, and some properties cut down on certain benefits, but $25/night resort fee is a nice perk... I am sure it will be going away with some future enhancement.

Best,

PedroNY
I wouldn't be surprised if Hilton corporate tells properties they can't waive anymore on reward stays in the near future.

The Trop and the Bentley in Miami Beach use to waive it for all diamonds on paid stays and both charge it now. Last time I was at the Bentley on a paid stay I was charged the fee and I complained to the manager on duty. He said that properties were told by Hilton corporate they could no longer waive it. At least the Bentley gives diamond's a decent breakfast and a bottle of wine and a nice cheese and fruit plate every stay, that helps to compensate a little. Just irritating that the Bentley's resort fee provides internet and two beach chairs and an umbrella and two mojitos which were all things given to diamonds in the past for free anyway and now we are being charged $20 a night.
Old Jun 19, 14, 2:13 pm

Maybe they have to waive the resort fee on award stay by law or something. Okay if every room has to pay the resort fee, then why is it not included in the room rate? I think they have to be some kind of law saying that if every one has to pay the same fee, then it is not a fee anymore!

I should open up a restaurant with a big sign saying "99 cents all you can eat seafood buffet dine in only." And then once you get inside, you will see in fine prints "$35 dine in fee per person."
Old Jun 19, 14, 2:35 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Maybe they have to waive the resort fee on award stay by law or something. Okay if every room has to pay the resort fee, then why is it not included in the room rate? I think they have to be some kind of law saying that if every one has to pay the same fee, then it is not a fee anymore!
I don't think they legally have to waive it seeing that Marriott charges it on awards stays.

Seeing how much money most resort properties charge, it's just a way to make more money. Reminds me on NK charging passengers to carry on a bin and use bin space. Unless you are doing a turn trip, there is no way of avoiding a luggage fee
Old Jun 19, 14, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Diamond here and I have always had to pay resort fee at various resorts...but then again I didnt attempt to fight it....
Old Jun 20, 14, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Need View Post

I should open up a restaurant with a big sign saying "99 cents all you can eat seafood buffet dine in only." And then once you get inside, you will see in fine prints "$35 dine in fee per person."
SPG and Marriott both charge resort fees on award nights... so I just think it is a Hilton perk that somehow has not been taken away yet. Enjoy it, while you can!
Old May 8, 16, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold, ClubC Gold, National Exec
Resort Fee for Award Stays?

Do Hilton Properties charge Resort Fees for Award Stays? Is there a specific policy in place or are customers left to haggle the charge with the property...
Old May 8, 16, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by RaSiDa View Post
Do Hilton Properties charge Resort Fees for Award Stays? Is there a specific policy in place or are customers left to haggle the charge with the property...
They tried charging me recently when I tried reserving with points. I changed to non-resort and $0 out of pocket.
Old May 8, 16, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
There's no formal published policy, but generally Hiltons do not charge resort fees on award stays. It's one of the nicer points of the HHonors program compared to Marriott.

If you're considering a particular property, suggest you pose the question in that property's thread.
Old May 8, 16, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Metal View Post
They tried charging me recently when I tried reserving with points. I changed to non-resort and $0 out of pocket.
Really? I thought they would only charge resort fees on the day of stay. Did they try to charge you in advance? That would at least raise a flag and still allow me to cancel.
Old May 8, 16, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
There's no formal published policy, but generally Hiltons do not charge resort fees on award stays. It's one of the nicer points of the HHonors program compared to Marriott.

If you're considering a particular property, suggest you pose the question in that property's thread.
That's good to know. I am looking at specifically redeeming at the DoubleTree Golf Resort Palm Springs. I don't reckon there is a specific thread for this property or all properties individually? Haha

I'm wondering if calling them in advance would net anything, but I guess it's all about arguing that charge if it shows up on checkout...
Old May 9, 16, 1:15 am

Are you charged room tax on an award stay? NO because free is free and how will they figure the tax amount. If staying on an award stay, a resort fee should not be charged. If one is included, there should be no surprises. The guest must be informed prior to the stay so they can opt out of the reservation. Since the resort fee is part of the hotel fee, it should be waived on an award. Free is free!
Old May 9, 16, 9:36 am

Red face

I've never been charged a fee on award stays.
Old May 9, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by Mustang1 View Post
I've never been charged a fee on award stays.
Same here. It's a nice benefit that Hilton offers that Marriott does not, causing me to keep Diamond status active.
Old May 9, 16, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
no resort fee ever for me but parking fees generally still apply
Old Jul 4, 16, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9 View Post
Diamond here and I have always had to pay resort fee at various resorts...but then again I didnt attempt to fight it....
On an award stay as well? Or just on regular stays?

Search this Thread