Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Ames Boston Curio Collection {US-MA} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ames Boston Curio Collection {US-MA} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MS02113
As a local resident, I've never had the occasion to stay at Ames Hotel. But the on-site restaurant, Cultivar, is excellent and I recommend it highly.
Just received an email from the concierge concerning an upcoming stay; I was advised Cultivar has closed, which means no in-room dining.
Looking forward to my stay, though I note the mixed reviews. Will report back.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just spent three nights here while in Boston for work/convention. I have to say that I'm a big fan. Was able to do online check-in, picked my room and was subsequently upgraded just prior to arrival. I was on the tenth floor in a corner room that was quite spacious - was expecting a small room because I had booked the lowest category.

Two bottles of water free and also an assort of free snacks from the minibar because it was a "premium" room.

Huge bathroom, walk-in shower.

Was able to use virtual key so never had any interaction with the front desk from the time I arrived to when I checked out. Breakfast was decent - nothing cooked to order but the woman manning the breakfast room was efficient and friendly. I liked how the seating was varied (counter, tables, etc).

Super-convenient location - almost was able to walk everywhere during my stay whereas colleagues were all over town taking Ubers.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 8/9 - 8/11

Location: Really well located if you're going to be touring Boston. It's across the street from the Old State House and Boston Massacre Site which puts it two blocks from Government Center and its T station and one block from State's T Station which means you're three blocks from 3/4 T lines. The aquarium and the wharf are a ten minute walk away and you can get to Park Street, Boston Common etc. in about the same amount of time. There's a CVS a block away and a number of places to eat and drink too.

Hotel: The building is a very well preserved high rise, it was built in 1889 and was once Boston's tallest building. It's been a hotel since 2009. Because it's old everything in it is fairly small. The lobby is tiny and has a very small breakfast area just off it which has 24 hour coffee. There are two very small elevators as well though thankfully there were never any long waits for them.

Check In: You never know how staff at Curios will react to Diamonds but everyone I dealt with here was very friendly. I was thanked for being Diamond, told about breakfast and the hotel amenities and that I had been upgraded from a queen to a king deluxe.

Room: The room didn't feel small at first but a long corridor which leads to the bedroom ate up most of the space. The bedroom itself is pretty small with a really low bed. There was also a desk area, outlets next to the bed, large TV, a minibar (something I don't see much at hotels anymore) and a nice bathroom with a good shower and Molten Brown products.

Breakfast: The same thing both days I was here. Scrambled eggs, bacon, chicken sausage, breakfast potatoes, breads, pastries and cold cereal. Breakfast is $15 per person for non Golds/Diamonds.

I was lucky enough to get this hotel for about $250/night. Due to its location I would gladly be back. I also had a complaint free stay and enjoyed my room.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - 8/9 - 8/11

Location: Really well located if you're going to be touring Boston. It's across the street from the Old State House and Boston Massacre Site which puts it two blocks from Government Center and its T station and one block from State's T Station which means you're three blocks from 3/4 T lines. The aquarium and the wharf are a ten minute walk away and you can get to Park Street, Boston Common etc. in about the same amount of time. There's a CVS a block away and a number of places to eat and drink too.

Hotel: The building is a very well preserved high rise, it was built in 1889 and was once Boston's tallest building. It's been a hotel since 2009. Because it's old everything in it is fairly small. The lobby is tiny and has a very small breakfast area just off it which has 24 hour coffee. There are two very small elevators as well though thankfully there were never any long waits for them.

Check In: You never know how staff at Curios will react to Diamonds but everyone I dealt with here was very friendly. I was thanked for being Diamond, told about breakfast and the hotel amenities and that I had been upgraded from a queen to a king deluxe.

Room: The room didn't feel small at first but a long corridor which leads to the bedroom ate up most of the space. The bedroom itself is pretty small with a really low bed. There was also a desk area, outlets next to the bed, large TV, a minibar (something I don't see much at hotels anymore) and a nice bathroom with a good shower and Molten Brown products.

Breakfast: The same thing both days I was here. Scrambled eggs, bacon, chicken sausage, breakfast potatoes, breads, pastries and cold cereal. Breakfast is $15 per person for non Golds/Diamonds.

I was lucky enough to get this hotel for about $250/night. Due to its location I would gladly be back. I also had a complaint free stay and enjoyed my room.
the 24hr free espresso-based drink machine is a huge perk, and its for everyone! usually EL's dont have 24hr access to it.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:05 pm

People...please don’t quote entire hotel review posts to respond to one line of them. This is not as egregious an example as we sometimes see in, say, the Trip Reports forum, but please use some common sense...you are going to give those of us on mobile devices arthritis in our thumbs...
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Property Closed

Looks like this property abruptly closed last month upon the close of the sale of the building to Suffolk University. (It will be converted to a dormitory.) Hopefully at some point Hilton will have the opportunity to add another property in downtown Boston.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:45 pm

Yeah I saw this the other day. Booking something for next summer and the options in the city are pretty slim now.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Wow. That was fast. And a shame. I really liked this property...
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Dang. My first thought was how horrible it would be to have an investment forced out under me so soon after an expensive remodel with barely two years to amortize.

...but they cleared 10MM in a fast turn so maybe that’s not too bad a flip.

And: that’s gonna be a nice dorm.

“Ames Hotel closing to make way for Suffolk University dormitory

Tom AcitelliSeptember 23, 2019

The Ames Hotel at 1 Court Street in downtown Boston is reportedly closing September 24 to make way for its conversion into a Suffolk University dormitory. The hotel does not appear to be taking reservations past that date.

News of Suffolk acquiring the 114-room inn in the historic Ames building broke in late August. The school hopes to have students moving in by the fall of 2020 and paid $63.5 million for the site, per the Globe’s Tim Logan.

Its very acquisition of the property for well over the $53 million its seller, a Texas investment house called Invesco, paid for it in 2015 speaks to how far some Boston’s universities and colleges will go to house their students. It also highlights the high cost of prime real estate in downtown Boston.“

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.