Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Compensation request to hotel management and what type of compensation should I ask?

Compensation request to hotel management and what type of compensation should I ask?

Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond

Currently at Doubletree Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Got few issue with room cleanliness.Found blood stain on bed duvet as well as on bathroom counter top,rain shower handle leaking,carpet so filthy with hairs everywhere.There are mold in bath cubicle,found a sharp razor blade on the carpet next to the window and almost step on it.no benefit letter,no welcome amenities.

I ask for room changes.duty manager came and inform the new room will be ready in 30 minutes.Wait for more than 1 hour nobody came. since I'm a bit in hurry to meet friend,I just decided to unpacked my beg again and go out instead.I planned to spoke with duty manager the next day since I will back to the hotel pretty late.At 1 am I came back to the hotel and found that all my thing is missing!Go downstairs and been told that they have move my thing to new room.I'm a bit shocked because they don't ask for my permission to do that.For all those incident happened,time that I waste,filthy room,dangerous sharp razor on room floor,what is the fair compensation that I should request from the hotel?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:03 pm

At 2 AM KL time, it's going to be pretty difficult to get much done in my opinion. If the new room is habitable, I'd just settle in and deal with it in the morning. Your choices at that point would be to speak to another manager on duty and ask for recourse, citing the previous issues, or to check out of the property, check into another one, and open a case with either Hilton Guest Assistance for the hhonors rep here on FT.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If hotel employees packed and moved my belongings, I'd ask for immediate access to the old room to check that nothing had been left behind.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
You were actually going to sleep in the original room? Ick!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I planned to just sleep in the original room at first because I thought it might be too late to move to new room and Im too tired after hangout with friends until midnight but since they already move my things (without my permission)I just accept it.too bad the TV remote control not working,aircondition too loud and internet connection was really bad (tested the speed it is below 50kbps).what a joke.call careline twice nobody pickup,finally on third call someone pickup and give me a new code but it is still not working.Btw the evening cocktail selection also not as great as my previous visit.They only serve 3 hot dishes,2 type of sandwiches,2 type of cakes and some biscuits..no more cheese platter or salad.island buffet table which previously serve sandwiches and dessert now become a sitting area..
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by theaccesscard
Currently at Doubletree Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Got few issue with room cleanliness.Found blood stain on bed duvet as well as on bathroom counter top,rain shower handle leaking,carpet so filthy with hairs everywhere.There are mold in bath cubicle,found a sharp razor blade on the carpet next to the window and almost step on it.no benefit letter,no welcome amenities.

I ask for room changes.duty manager came and inform the new room will be ready in 30 minutes.Wait for more than 1 hour nobody came. since I'm a bit in hurry to meet friend,I just decided to unpacked my beg again and go out instead.I planned to spoke with duty manager the next day since I will back to the hotel pretty late.At 1 am I came back to the hotel and found that all my thing is missing!Go downstairs and been told that they have move my thing to new room.I'm a bit shocked because they don't ask for my permission to do that.For all those incident happened,time that I waste,filthy room,dangerous sharp razor on room floor,what is the fair compensation that I should request from the hotel?
Did you tell them that you were leaving and you no longer wanted to be moved that night? If not, then in my opinion the hotel was following through on your request to be moved. You had said your current room was not adequate, they agreed to move you to another room and needed to clean it first especially since they did not want to move you to another substandard room, you decided that was taking too long so you left, the hotel finally got the other room ready but you were gone so they moved your belongings to the other room as you requested. I do not believe they owe your anything for moving your belongings to the other room. I'm not sure they owe you anything for the original unacceptable room except for a small amount of points for the delay in moving you -- at most maybe 5 - 10,000.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Of course they need to ask my permission before moving my thing because it is all over the place.they might left something in that room or somebody might steal something and pretend to not see it.i got lot of valueable stuff such as laptop,mobile phone etc.the most appropriate way is to call me if not they could just leave a note or message at my room saying that the new room is ready so i can collect the key anytime to my preference.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Of course they need to ask my permission before moving my thing because it is all over the place.they might left something in that room or somebody might steal something and pretend to not see it.i got lot of valueable stuff such as laptop,mobile phone etc.the most appropriate way is to call me if not they could just leave a note or message at my room saying that the new room is ready so i can collect the key anytime to my preference.
Was anything missing?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:55 pm

You gave them permission when you asked them to move you to another room. You are maybe owed compensation for the nasty room you started out in, but they were simply trying to follow your instructions when they moved you. Anybody that would be moving your stuff can come into your room while you are not there and steal things regardless of whether they move them for you, so I don't see what the issue is. They do take the chance that they break something or that you claim they broke something while moving your stuff, but there is no difference in the risk of something going missing
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I dont say they will steal but the risk is big.yes you are right they could enter myroom anytime to steal but there is cctv at the corridor so they might think twice to enter my room if they have nothing to do but through room move atleast they can cover it.i didnt gave them permission to move my beloging,I just asked for room changes which they can just call me if they need more time instead of let me wait for more than 1 hour packing and unpacking back everything.Yes I can call them but like I said,I am about to go out and somebody waiting for me so I cant wait any longer furthermore manager promised it will takes 30minutes.like i said before,they should just leave a note asking me to collect new key.it is way much easier and convenient.I will do the same if Im the duty manager.I will not take out somebody beloging.just my 2cents.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Of course they need to ask my permission before moving my thing because it is all over the place.they might left something in that room or somebody might steal something and pretend to not see it.i got lot of valueable stuff such as laptop,mobile phone etc.
Did you leave your valuables all over the place or did you put them in the room safe (assuming it did have one)?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
You gave them permission when you asked them to move you to another room.
Uhm, I disagree. The OP said:

I ask for room changes.duty manager came and inform the new room will be ready in 30 minutes.

If the OP asked specifically for the staff to move his/her stuff, then yes, permission was granted. Otherwise, I don't think that I would consider requesting a new room permission for anyone to touch my stuff. They should have made good on the promise of a new room in 30 minutes or at least provided an update at that time.

My valuables would have been in the room safe, and I would have been particularly annoyed if they had opened the room safe without my presence.

That said... I would not have waited one hour for the new room and then unpacked my belongings and left them "all over the place". After 35 minutes I would have called the front desk and asked for the key to the new room.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

When you are waiting for the room key and suddenly your friend call you and inform that he just arrived at the lobby,would you still want to wait for the key or call front desk and still insist for it?Of course not.I am in hurry because my friend have arrived so I had to unpacked my stuff to get dress so few of my stuff still all over the place.I just assume that they might come to my room and see Im not there and instead leave some note asking me to pick up the new key later,that is normal.It is not about what I should do,It is about what they shouldnt do..
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you left your laptop and cellphone sitting around and met your friend in the lobby and didn't ask the front desk what the status of your new room was or advised them that you were leaving and not to move your stuff?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

I left my laptop and my cellphone inside my luggage because im in hurry. Did I need to ask hotel not to move my stuff?Isn't that they does not supposed to move my stuff without my permission?again as I stated before,It is not about me but it is about what they should not do.what ever reason it is,they need my permission to move my stuff or else just leave some note later.

Last edited by theaccesscard; Aug 30, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.