Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Dublin City Centre [was Custom House] {IRL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Dublin City Centre [was Custom House] {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by helosc
If you decide to opt out of breakfast, they have a pantry/small shop with among other things some sandwiches/wraps.
They also have a sort of cafe with cakes but I don't know if it's open in the mornings.
Thanks for the info, stay is not until next June so I'll keep an eye on this thread until then for any changes.

Will probably go for the cooked breakfast option as it will be a Sunday morning after a Saturday night!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Can any frequent travelers to Dublin compare this hotel to the DoubleTree Burlington or Hilton? The location of the HGI is superior and the cost is lower, however, do these benefits offset the executive lounge at the DT-B? Also, is the breakfast at the HGI up to scratch?

We are currently booked into 5 nights at the DT-B in January but are considering the value and location provided by the HGI.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I stayed at both the DT Burlington and the Garden Inn last month.
I paid the exact same price for both hotels.

I don't think the location of the Garden Inn is necessarily better than the DT - there are public busses stopping right outside the DT (coming from town) and on a parallel road (going into town).
But the Garden Inn is definitely better located for exploring the north of Liffey area.

The lounge in the DT was nice enough - not a lot of choice snack-wise but the quality was good. Red and white wine but sadly no sparkling wine. And no alcohol.

I can't decide which hotel I preferred so I'm not much help there.
Partly it is about expectations - I would expect more from a DT than a Garden Inn (not used to staying in Garden Inns).

I don't think I got an upgrade at the DT, wasn't mentioned at check-in. The check-in agent actually wasn't aware of my diamond status until I inquired about breakfast.
I got an upgrade to a room with a view in the Garden Inn and was welcomed as a Diamond.

The breakfast at the Garden Inn surprised me, it was much better than I expected (again I'm not used to Garden Inns).
Lots of choices of warm food (don't eat it so don't remember what there was). But there was an omelet station and make-yourself-waffles.

So I would say that I probably liked them equally - the DT mainly for the lounge as I very much like lounges and the Garden Inn for the view of the river and for being nicer than I expected.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Thank you helosc. That is very helpful!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:24 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by earlyriser
Can any frequent travelers to Dublin compare this hotel to the DoubleTree Burlington or Hilton? The location of the HGI is superior and the cost is lower, however, do these benefits offset the executive lounge at the DT-B? Also, is the breakfast at the HGI up to scratch?

We are currently booked into 5 nights at the DT-B in January but are considering the value and location provided by the HGI.
This may be a moot question as the DT-B isn't going to be a DT much longer.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by stc
This may be a moot question as the DT-B isn't going to be a DT much longer.
Do you know when it will re brand as a Clayton Hotel?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by adobbing
Do you know when it will re brand as a Clayton Hotel?
No official date released yet by Dalata, the company behind the Clayton brand, but it could be soon IMHO. A deal is done with current/new owners of the hotel.

We enjoyed the DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin Burlington Road during our stays there and feel it's a real "loss" for the Hilton family of hotels in Dublin.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Is the HGI a good location for sightseeing?

Much less points than the Conrad and DT Morrison that seem to be closer to the city center.

Don't mind walking or public transport and don't need to be pampered.

Last edited by apodo77; Nov 15, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77

Much less points than the Conrad and DT Morrison that seem to be closer to the city center.

Don't mind walking or public transport and don't need to be pampered.
The hotel overlooks the River Liffey and is located literally in the heart of the city, while the other Hilton family hotels you mentioned are indeed nearer to the "true" heart of the city, the HGI is within walking distance to nearly everything a visitor to Dublin would want to see/visit incl. O'Connell Street, Grafton Street, Trinity College, Temple Bar, Shopping, Arts, Culture and Restaurants etc etc, plus public transportation. Dublin is a wonderful city to visit and offers lots of attractions, thinking about it, http://epicirelandchq.com/ is within 2/3 minutes walking distance of the HGI.

It's a good choice, the hotel has been recently fully renovated and looks/feels superb in many ways without "breaking" the bank.

Enjoy. Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by apodo77
I stayed there last month with the rebranding, and have also stayed a couple times prior when it was a Jury's Inn. It works.

View from my room last month:

You basically go out the door, turn to the right, and within 10-15 minutes you can be at O'Connell Street or Trinity College/Temple Bar. A few minutes more for the Grafton Street pedestrian mall or museums on that side of town.

If you're planning any bus travel out of Dublin, Busarus, the bus terminal, is about 5 minutes from the hotel on the same side of the river.

The 747 airport bus stops right in front of the hotel going to the airport (not sure about coming into the city- I got off a block or two early as I wasn't sure the hotel was a stop).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Thanks to both of y'all. Much appreciated!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:29 am

2017 will see the hotel expand with a further 85 rooms to be added over the year, they've now placed the following message on their website:

Between the months of January and December 2017, 85 bedrooms will be added to Hilton Garden Inn Dublin Custom House. The existing recently refurbished hotel will not be impacted, but guests should be aware that there will be scaffolding in place and periods of noise between the hours of 10am and 6pm which may lead to minor disruptions during their stay.
It's good to know and to be aware.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uggboy
2017 will see the hotel expand with a further 85 rooms to be added over the year, they've now placed the following message on their website:

Between the months of January and December 2017, 85 bedrooms will be added to Hilton Garden Inn Dublin Custom House. The existing recently refurbished hotel will not be impacted, but guests should be aware that there will be scaffolding in place and periods of noise between the hours of 10am and 6pm which may lead to minor disruptions during their stay.

It's good to know and to be aware.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Related to the expansion, has anybody stayed there lately? I am thinking about staying there next month but I wondering about noise from the construction.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
Related to the expansion, has anybody stayed there lately? I am thinking about staying there next month but I wondering about noise from the construction.
I just returned from a stay at the HGI Custom's House. Guess it probably depends on the room you're given and time of day, but I heard absolutely NO construction noise during my 3 nights there this past week. I stayed there again back in June, same experience....zero construction noise. Now that said, I wasn't in my room between 9am and 6pm most days.

Regarding the A/C, some rooms do have it, other's don't. Ask upon check-in to be put in a room with A/C. I had A/C back in June, but didn't this past week.

And you can't beat the location. 10 minute walk to trinity, 20 to grafton street. Super easy taxi ride to / from the airport as well. I've been very pleased with my stays there the past couple of months.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I was @ that property last month (single weekday stay). I can't remember which floor but definitely a room without a/c (it didn't matter as a/c was not needed (not hot outside9; the window could open a bit and it made the trick). There was some noise from the construction work when I checked in (around noon) but not an issue later on.

Breakfast was OK/adequate. I agree that the location is good. If you dare it, there is a Dublin Bike station just across the street. 5 Euro for access to bikes all over the city for 3 days (3x 24 hours) is unbelievably cheap ^

dublinbikes.ie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.