Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
As posted on a Starriott thread when Marriott eliminated late checkout for Golds: "a benefit 'subject to availability' is no benefit at all".
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
There's no guaranteed standard and has been stated, it is one of the worst aspects of HHonors. I am very rarely successful with an LCO request and if I am it is a grudging, reluctantly given and hour past standard checkout. On more than one occasion I was told that I must absolutely be gone by that +1 hour, and the maid was banging on the door at +59 minutes to make sure I was going 'on time'. Lovely. . That was at the Oxnard Embassy Suites, which is very stingy when it comes to any sort of recognition of Diamonds, let alone and benefits.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I got a 4pm checkout at Hilton Paris CDG on 2nd January 2019

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
That's one of the reasons why I switched to Marriott (now Plat): rarely I got late check out from Hilton, as a Gold or as a Diamond, but now I really enjoy guaranteed 4 pm late check out at Marriott-Spg hotels.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
This thread and the idea of / need for late check out has me thinking. If Hilton is stingy with late check out and they usually are, is the inverse true? Is Hilton more generous with early check-in than Marriott or IHG?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: DL Plat
i find anything after 1pm in the us is like pulling teeth. because of this about 25% of stays i would have stayed at a hilton I book with hyatt or marriott instead where im guaranteed a 2-4pm checkout.

i also havent seen earlier checkins than hyatt and marriott. in fact, hilton is the only chain that has tried to charge me for an 11am check in as a diamond (hilton portland or).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
From the replies in this thread the consensus seems that the USA is the ONLY country where the properties are stingy with late check out benefits and act like it's a big deal and make it extra difficult for guests to use it.
Most of the rest of the world seems generous in comparison.

This mirrors my experience as well. Most of my travels are in Europe and Asia, and it's very rare for reception to make it a problem to stay in the room until 2pm...and if they can't grant that, they are usually apologetic about it.

Looks like late check out sucks only in the USA.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
3pm most. Sometimes 4pm. 2pm is probably the most common though, Most of these are Europe and Asia, a few in the US.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the US, I have never been able to get check out past 2 PM. The negotiation starts at 1 PM and a lot of the time the hotel won't move.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by username
In the US, I have never been able to get check out past 2 PM. The negotiation starts at 1 PM and a lot of the time the hotel won't move.
Is there any logical reason for that (apart from the number of rooms booked each day) ?
Does housekeeping work less hours in Usa than in Europe?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
And most don't know it but you don't have to be 50 to join.
You do have to be 49-1/2 to join AARP. It's in the membership requirements. Read them.

Last edited by DCBob; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:42 am Reason: Error
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DCBob
You do have to be 49-1/2 to join AARP. It's in the membership requirements. Read them.
Yeah it is in the requirements. I remember the year I turned 50 all my facebook friends from high school were joking about getting invitations to join AARP. I think if your spouse is a member though you can join at any age, I remember a couple classmates who married people older than them saying they were able to join when their spouses turned 50.

Speaking of the AARP and Hilton I noticed on a couple reservations I made recently at some hotels the AARP rate is a little lower than the AAA rate, both those rates used to always be the same.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
It actually is not. I've been a AARP member since halfway to 49-1/2. You can get an "associate" membership at any age with the same benefits. You do get weird looks using the benefits...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by DCBob
Nope:
"All people age 50 and older are eligible for full membership with AARP.

For those under 50, AARP offers associate memberships. If you are an associate member, you'll still receive a Membership Kit with your AARP card, and you'll get all of the great benefits that come with membership that aren't restricted by vendor offer requirements, including age-restricted insurance products. Once you turn 50, your membership will automatically convert to a full membership with no effort on your part."
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
This thread and the idea of / need for late check out has me thinking. If Hilton is stingy with late check out and they usually are, is the inverse true? Is Hilton more generous with early check-in than Marriott or IHG?
You know, i’d say that is true. I get early check in denied far more often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.