Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors Discount Launches at 4,500 Properties Worldwide

Honors Discount Launches at 4,500 Properties Worldwide

Old Feb 21, 16, 10:04 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
For those of us who are AAA members (and/or AARP members), will this rate ever do us any good? AAA discount is typically 10% (and I think at least 5%), so unless the 3% is on top of that, it seems that AAA rate would always beat it.

I guess the only exception would be if the hotel doesn't accept a AAA rate.
The other exception is if you are one of the 250M Americans that do NOT have AAA.
Old Feb 21, 16, 11:30 am

Programs: United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
For those of us who are AAA members (and/or AARP members), will this rate ever do us any good? AAA discount is typically 10% (and I think at least 5%), so unless the 3% is on top of that, it seems that AAA rate would always beat it.
Seems to vary by hotel. While the AAA rate is usually at least as good as the HHonors rate, I've found a few hotels that offer a bigger HHonors discount. Most common combination seems to be hotels that offer only a 5% AAA discount, but a 10% HHonors discount. One example I ran across today is the Hampton Inn Calgary Airport North.
Old Feb 21, 16, 9:48 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Since this rolled out they have increased their rack rates to make up for it. This "promotion" is a non-mover. In Sacramento, CA on weekends most Hilton hotels trend at a $99 rate and have for the past few years including a lot of HGIs and also "Hilton Sacramento Arden West" (hope the remodel in progress improves this place). However last weekend most of these hotels were all showing a rack rate of either $102 or $104.

I appreciate Hilton taking MVP away from the general public though. When I was previously happy to book via Hilton.com and use MVP for $79+tax rates on weekends, I did just that. Since it has been taken away, I have taken to shopping around more.

So far twice this year the shopping around has led me to Priceline Opaque. I have "named my own price" for 3 star Hilton affiliated properties I used to happily just use the $79+tax MVP for. So far one of the properties was $56/night after tax/fees and the other was $63/night after tax/fees. Sure I didn't get any HHonors Points or free breakfast, but the money I saved was worth more than the value of the points. The lost breakfast benefit value is debatable but I am not a big breakfast person to begin with so its real value to me is only a few dollars.
Old Feb 22, 16, 8:58 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
In all fairness to HH, some of my existing reservations have gone down with the HH member refundable discount, even below AARP or any other available at that hotel discount (including the nonrefundable bookings discounts), so make sure you periodically check your advance reservations, because prices do fluctuate and you can adjust your bookings to the lower prices.

I routinely book 2-12 months out (always refundable), and in my experience, some times you can never beat the rate you got 11 months out, and in other cases it goes down to half.
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
...I appreciate Hilton taking MVP away from the general public though. When I was previously happy to book via Hilton.com and use MVP for $79+tax rates on weekends, I did just that. Since it has been taken away....
??

What does that mean? I just booked a couple of stays via http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/ and the MVP rate still worked fine.
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:29 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
deleted
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You can get a "sports affiliation" id for $10.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ghlight=Sports

Much discussion, as well, beginning here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post26127821
Old Feb 23, 16, 9:46 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I'm not playing games getting a sports affiliation ID. I don't have a sports affiliation and don't really think it is right to pretend to have some sort of affiliation to get the discount.

Let the marketers at Hilton target their MVP promotion to its intended sports related audience and see how that does. Additional abuse will just ruin it for them too.
Old Feb 23, 16, 11:16 pm

HHonors Discount Launches at 4,500 Properties Worldwide

If you join the USGA then by definition you have a sports affiliation. It's not a "pretend" affiliation. It's simply a sports affiliation. You have abided by the rate rules and are now part of the "target audience" as defined by Hilton. I don't understand your issue,
Old Feb 24, 16, 6:09 am

Are certified divers under the PADI association considered a valid sports affiliation.
Old Feb 24, 16, 12:34 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Are certified divers under the PADI association considered a valid sports affiliation.
Probably not , whilst scuba diving could be considered a sport, alas PADI is purely a training and certification agency

However in UK BSAC as a club organisation and national organisation, would count as a sports affiliation as would SSAC in Scotland

I also have free BTM (British Tennis Membership ) which counts as sports membership too, with LTA as part of being a Tennis fee paying member of Virgin Active Tennis Club, else BTM is inexpensive but requires yearly fee.

Being a member of Virgin Active, David Lloyds Tennis clubs, Fitness First etc, in themselves would not count as sports association

Search this Thread
Search Engine: