FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Honors Discount Launches at 4,500 Properties Worldwide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1746804-honors-discount-launches-4-500-properties-worldwide.html)

azepine00 Feb 17, 2016 10:22 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 26196606)
S..

It also sounds like a smart way to incentivize people to book direct and not at sites like Orbitz or Expedia. Booking via Hilton is about as easy as with an online travel agency. Even if it's just $3/night, many people will choose Hilton.

From that perspective, it's not "an epic fail". It's actually a wise business decision.

Most ppl booking via orbitz etc can get cashback more that this so called "discount".. nothing wrong with hilton playing this marketing game but again in most cases tjis is just fluff and smart customers can realize better savings through other means.

CIT85 Feb 17, 2016 11:57 am

Dynamic pricing. Room rates on several of my reservations have gone up, so I'm glad I made the reservations when I did.

I doubt the rollout of HHONORS Discount has anything to do with rates increases. We all have choices when we make our reservations whether we like the rates or go elsewhere.

I was able to take advantage of this HHONORS Discount recently for CDG Hilton for March, rate still the same, and July, Discount rate has gone up 30 euros.

It is what it is. If we don't like the rates, then go somewhere else.

Firewind Feb 17, 2016 2:08 pm

My loyalty to Hilton still depends on the biggest discount off of whatever rate I'm paying: Complimentary breakfast at Gold.

Hilton Honors Ambassador Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis (Post 26193032)
My employer just switched to requiring Concur to be used for all bookings. Is there a way to comply with this and still get the Hhonors discount?

Thanks for your question, amanuensis. You will still be eligible for HHonors Discount when booking directly through preferred corporate travel partners and approved travel agents.

Should anyone have questions about a specific program, please PM me the details.

Lauren

ptownca Feb 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 26201187)
Thanks for your question, amanuensis. You will still be eligible for HHonors Discount when booking directly through preferred corporate travel partners and approved travel agents.

Should anyone have questions about a specific program, please PM me the details.

Lauren

How will this work ? I know our system passes along my HHonors number reliably. But like the other poster, I must book through our corporate booking tool.

Hilton Honors Ambassador Feb 19, 2016 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca (Post 26202820)
How will this work ? I know our system passes along my HHonors number reliably. But like the other poster, I must book through our corporate booking tool.

Hi ptownca,

You can try contacting one of the Travel Agent Professionals at your corporate travel program. Travel Agent Professionals have access to the HHonors Discount rate and they can assist in booking these rates.

Lauren

notquiteaff Feb 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 26198261)
I guess thats why the Hilton representative wrote it isn't valid in Mainland China and HKG/Macao/Taiwan, as the later three areas aren't part of Mainland China - if you write "Mainland China", you don't mean HKG/Macao&Taiwan, and if you write the easier term "China", some people will think that HKG/Macao&Taiwan aren't included. Thus, writting Mainland China including HKG/Macao&Taiwan is the easiest way to make it all clear what you mean.

Post #1 says:

"with the exception of bookings made for hotels in Mainland China, including Hong Kong, Taiwan or and Macau."

That's what people commented on. IMO it's similar to saying "with the exception of hotels in the U.S., including Canada. :)

Post #16 is better:

"our properties in mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau are excluded."

Akin to "our properties in the U.S. and Canada are excluded."

nk15 Feb 19, 2016 2:35 pm

I think even the AARP rate beats this discount. Even worse for Hilton, Marriott has 30% discounts for Golds/Platinums, so that beats any discount HH could ever do, so I had to cancel my HH reservations and book with Marriott.

sdsearch Feb 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 26212912)
I think even the AARP rate beats this discount. Even worse for Hilton, Marriott has 30% discounts for Golds/Platinums, so that beats any discount HH could ever do, so I had to cancel my HH reservations and book with Marriott.

Huh? At every Marriott program property? Details where? I've never heard of this before, and I've been a Marriott Platinum for a few years now, and have been following the Marriott forum on FT for even more years.

missamo80 Feb 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Checked for a few of my upcoming stays. Unless otherwise indicated I didn't see any difference in the AAA rate from when I booked a month ago to today.

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder: $94/night (AAA rate); $96/night (hhonors rate)
Hampton Inn Los Alamos: $89/night (AAA rate); $89/night (hhonors rate)
Hampton Inn Alamogordo: $117/night (AAA rate at original booking); $127/night (AAA rate now); $120/night (hhonors rate)
Homewood Suites Albuquerque: $89/night (AAA rate); $91/night (hhonors rate)

Yawn.

Neil

nk15 Feb 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26213153)
Huh? At every Marriott program property? Details where? I've never heard of this before, and I've been a Marriott Platinum for a few years now, and have been following the Marriott forum on FT for even more years.

These seem to be active at least in NYC, and they can be found under the tab "Reward offers". They seem to vary by hotel and dates, but the one I got had this info. I think I got the best offer for an unbeatable location, price and property. It has restrictions and it is non refundable though.
• Elite Rewards Promotion
• Stay 3 Nights Get 30 percent off (Advance Purchase Promo)
• - Exclusive to Marriott Rewards Elite members Gold status or higher
• - Non refundable deposit required
• - based upon availability blackout dates apply
• - a limited number of rooms are available for this promotion
• An arrival on Wednesday Or Thursday Or Friday Or Saturday Or Sunday.
• A reservation made 3 day(s) before your expected arrival.

sdsearch Feb 20, 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 26213375)
These seem to be active at least in NYC, and they can be found under the tab "Reward offers". They seem to vary by hotel and dates, but the one I got had this info. I think I got the best offer for an unbeatable location, price and property. It has restrictions and it is non refundable though.
• Elite Rewards Promotion
• Stay 3 Nights Get 30 percent off (Advance Purchase Promo)
• - Exclusive to Marriott Rewards Elite members Gold status or higher
• - Non refundable deposit required
• - based upon availability blackout dates apply
• - a limited number of rooms are available for this promotion
• An arrival on Wednesday Or Thursday Or Friday Or Saturday Or Sunday.
• A reservation made 3 day(s) before your expected arrival.

Oh, stay 3 nights, but cannot arrive on a a Monday or Tuesday. Snore.

That's something I just about never do with a paid stay. I do weekend trips of only 1 or 2 paid nights, or awards stays of 3 to 5 nights in cities where even 30% off would be out of my price range. I do paid weekday stays, but if I'm there 3+ nights I always arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Plus I rarely do non-refundable hotel reservations.

There seem to way fewer restrictions on the (timid) new Hilton HHonors discount, or on the very commonly available (to those who are members) AAA and/or AARP discounts.

UpInTheAir Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am

The use of the word "refundable" in the HHonors discount rate is misleading, as it suggests that an amount may be charged to my credit card prior to my arrival at the hotel, yet there is nothing to suggest that based on the rate description. I suggest not using the word if nothing is charged to the credit card at time of booking.

PayItForward Feb 21, 2016 12:35 am

Originally Posted by UpInTheAir (Post 26216679)
The use of the word "refundable" in the HHonors discount rate is misleading, as it suggests that an amount may be charged to my credit card prior to my arrival at the hotel, yet there is nothing to suggest that based on the rate description. I suggest not using the word if nothing is charged to the credit card at time of booking.

Actually, the term refundable implies charged up front but entitled to refund if cancellation is made within the property rate rules. Like an airline ticket, refundable means exactly that. Difference is that a lot of properties chooses not do that for cancellable rates to save labour and efforts. On the other hand, I have also made many prepaid reservations (advanced rates) that are non refundable but the properties charges my card anytime from booking to day of stay.

scubaccr Feb 21, 2016 9:14 am

I agree that a major reason is to incentivise with the discount carrot, guests to sign up to HH, which will make them much more likely to look at Hilton site not an OTA for future stays.

Also wondering if the raise price and discount back to original fee schenanigans is not across the board? Since Hilton is a mix of franchised and Hilton owned hotels, my initial suspicion would be that franchises are likely to be the hotels raisng rates to negate the discount, whilst Hilton owned hotels may be playing fair.

I just booked using the HH rate (corp rates not loaded for my dates), but I have no idea what nightly rate was prior to 16th Feb introduction of discount.
Flex Rate drops from 149++ euro to 134++, whilst Advance Rate is 135++, so Advance rate costs more, so thinking Hilton Rotterdam is indeed playing fair.