Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 8:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
I booked and stayed based on this information and I was told that for over 6 weeks there has been no vouchers and there is no plan for vouchers to be introduced again! there is so many better hotels for this price in Doha!
It is very easy to score a BRG at this hotel and I have paid 200-250 QAR regularly before. In addition Hilton often has stay-based promos which is juicy for 1-night stays, for example the current promo of 2k points per stay + 10k points for each 5 stays (making it essentially 4k pts per stay plus welcome bonus, etc.). That makes the net cost incredibly low to stay at DT Doha.

For short layovers, which hotels are about as close to the airport for this price range? From hotel chains I do not think there are any. Reviews of Marriott are quite bad and at DT the hardware is good.

I have never researched independent hotels in Doha so if there are some in this price range, better than DT, it would be useful. But from Marriott and Hyatt there are none I believe, unless you are willing to go farther from the airport and pay more money.

If you are a light sleeper I think the answer is to spend more money and go elsewhere, but in this price range and proximity to the airport I am not convinced there are tons of better choices.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:00 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
It is very easy to score a BRG at this hotel and I have paid 200-250 QAR regularly before. In addition Hilton often has stay-based promos which is juicy for 1-night stays, for example the current promo of 2k points per stay + 10k points for each 5 stays (making it essentially 4k pts per stay plus welcome bonus, etc.). That makes the net cost incredibly low to stay at DT Doha.

For short layovers, which hotels are about as close to the airport for this price range? From hotel chains I do not think there are any. Reviews of Marriott are quite bad and at DT the hardware is good.

I have never researched independent hotels in Doha so if there are some in this price range, better than DT, it would be useful. But from Marriott and Hyatt there are none I believe, unless you are willing to go farther from the airport and pay more money.

If you are a light sleeper I think the answer is to spend more money and go elsewhere, but in this price range and proximity to the airport I am not convinced there are tons of better choices.
Ok, its IHG, but well within 20 mins of the airport is the Holiday Inn Business Park, Airport Road, which can be had for +/- QAR 200/250 flexible. Modern, clean & fresh (obviously not luxury tho) & importantly, very quiet & no noisy night club & a good nights sleep!
Old May 1, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by escape4
There's a Holiday Inn and an adjacent Crowne Plaza in the "business park" area, not far from the DT. I've never stayed at the CP, but I have a soft spot for the HI - always get a nice upgrade, no noise problem, and usually significantly cheaper than DT. Sadly, the IHG version of status benefits never include breakfast. There's a pool and a very popular burger bar. Also an airport shuttle, though you might prefer using Uber from the airport, rather than kicking you heels waiting for the hotel transport.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
@IAN-UK and @NoY thanks for the tip regarding Holiday Inn
NoY likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
I booked and stayed based on this information and I was told that for over 6 weeks there has been no vouchers and there is no plan for vouchers to be introduced again! there is so many better hotels for this price in Doha!
Sad to hear about your experience. It looks like they made an exception for us as we arrived around midnight and did not get any room upgrade as a Diamond member.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:47 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: HH, SPG, BA Exec.
My review of the hotel

I stayed at the Doubletree Doha Old Town. It's really a business hotel close to Souq Waqif & MIA. Very good location and it honors HH Gold & Diamond benefits.
https://www.aminonmiles.com/reviews/...ee-hotel-doha/
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Quick question, has anyone stated in a Family Guest Room? The website says "FAMILY GUEST ROOM INTERCONNECTING ROOMS 1 KING AND TWIN BED 1 DOUBLE 2 TWIN BEDS FOR A FAMILY". Travelling with me wife, and my parents. So if its two rooms (with two bathrooms) connected via a door like a regular connecting rooms, I am ok with that. It's 40,000 points for the Family Room vs 30,000 per king room x 2.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Location OK, Friendly staff

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Al Meena Street Doha, QA

Location OK, Friendly staff (31 Photos)

I was initially considering the Hilton Doha for my quick 1 night stay, but since based on my arrival and departure time and vicinity, I decided to go for this property as it was located quite close to some of the attractions which I could walk to - mainly the old Souk and the new National Museum of Doha, in addition it was quite close to the airport and relatively close to the newly opened Metro system.  This in combination with the reasonable rate made me in the end select this property.

IMG_20220402_112958886_HDR.jpg

The property is located about 15-20 mins walking from the National Museum metro stop - although not advisable with luggage or during the afternoon heat.  From the airport, a rideshare will cost in genera about 15-20 QAR but rates are slightly higher at night and the ride is about 10-20 mins, depending on traffic.  

From the hotel, it is about 15-20 mins by foot to the old souq (Souq Waqif) and the same to the National Museum.  Around the hotel there are few local shops and eateries.  Currently the whole old city of Doha is a construction mess - with the preparation ongoing for the World Cup, therefore it is not th easiest to navigate to these location, and not to mention the amount of dust around.  

IMG_20220402_113002968_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220402_133016545_HDR.jpg

Check In

I arrived after midnight at the property.  Guests are required to pass through a security scanner before entrance (and in current times, a face mask is still compulsory).  As expected, there was no one in the lobby area, and I was helped immediately by the front desk associate.  I initially noticed in the Hilton app that I was upgraded to a King Excecutive room with sea/city view.  I tried my luck during check in if they would be willing to upgrade me to a Studio and my request was happily granted.  The whole process was done smoothly and within 10-15 mins of arriving, I was off to my room with the expected (warm) Doubletree Chocolate cookies in hand.

IMG_20220402_005748083.jpg

IMG_20220402_005813583.jpg

IMG_20220402_005824583.jpg

IMG_20220402_091727842.jpg

IMG_20220402_091747905.jpg

IMG_20220402_091924646.jpg

Room

The room was situation on the 12th floor of the property.  Before being able to access the correct corridor for your room, there's a set of door which guests need to access with your key card.  The room was located at the corner of the building.  The first setback of the room was as soon as I threw open the door, it smelled of residual cigaratte smell.  I was considering to go back down to ask for another room, but since it was already quite late and I was very tired, I just decided to stick with the room.  (if it was much stronger, I would have gone down to request a new room).

IMG_20220402_091700577.jpg

The room was very spacious (as expected) - along the hallway to the main room area, the wardrobe was to the right and right next to this was the entrance to the bathroom.  The room came with a small kitchenette - which had a microwave,  a 1-pit electrical stove, fridge and a washing machine.  However I did not see any plates/cutleries provided (not sure if this was due to the current covid situation).  

IMG_20220402_010616547.jpg

IMG_20220402_103320082.jpg

IMG_20220402_103345300.jpg

IMG_20220402_103359660.jpg

There was quite a large sitting area and the TV stand was used as a divider between the bed and this sitting area.  At the end of the room was a long working desk which acted as the area for the mini bar (which was empty) and coffee/tea making facilities.  The room came with 2 large 1.5litre bottle of water.   One surprising thing to me was all electrical outlets were the UK/Qatar type.  There was also no USB charging points, so for those who need other outlet type, remember to bring your adapters.  

IMG_20220402_010548329.jpg

Sleep quality was good - the bed was not too firm and there was hardly any noise disturbance from the exterior nor interior.  The black out curtains did a good job.   The climate control worked well, with the fan noise being minimal (at low speed) - and luckily did help a bit with the cigaratte smell.  Internet speed was ok and login was the usual way of logging in at most Hilton properties.  The TV screen was well sized and the selection was the usual local and international selections.  

IMG_20220402_010553514.jpg

I was rather impressed with the size of the bathroom - which since a long time I've seen, had a jacuzzi bathtub.  Other than that, there was separate walk-in shower and separate space for the toilet/bidet.  There was a double sink with the usual toiletries by Crabtree and Evelyn.  

IMG_20220402_010601036.jpg

IMG_20220402_010608786.jpg

With the floor to ceiling windows, the room was bright with natural light with a view towards the close by buildings but also towards the harbour area. 

IMG_20220402_091541804.jpg

IMG_20220402_091546899.jpg

IMG_20220402_091552600.jpg

As you can see the windows were rather dirty and needs a good cleaning.  With all the current construction ongoing, this does not help.  

All in all I found the room to be well appointed for a Doubletree hotel standard, but it was such a pity about the cigaratte smell, if not it would have made the stay much more pleasurable. 

Breakfast

Initially due me misunderstanding, I went down to the lobby in search of the breakfast room, but found out that it was on the 2nd floor - in what I learnt later was a temporarily location due to the ongoing upgrades at the hotel.  Breakfast was buffet style, although every thing was served by a staff behind the plexiglas.  The spread was ok for both hot and cold selections.  

IMG_20220402_092004993.jpg

IMG_20220402_092102798.jpg

IMG_20220402_092104672.jpg

Fruit juice and other drinks were self served (all covered) and othet hot beverages were served at your table.  (They do have karak chai - for those who look forwards to this tea when in the middle east).  There's also the option to order eggs directly from the server and brought directly to your table.  

IMG_20220402_092053928.jpg

IMG_20220402_092059899.jpg

IMG_20220402_093245291.jpg

All in all - the breakfast options were sufficient.  I guess in the usual restaurant might have better spread.  There seem to be only 2 main staff working the cold/hot section of the buffet, so when it gets busy, there could possibly a wait to select and get your selection.  

Service

All in all, the all the different staff I met were very friendly and helpful.  Based on my experience I find them to be the main advantage of this property.  

Overall

Overall, I was satisfied with property - the value for money was good (but I am sure during the World Cup, this will be terrible).  For those planning to stay at this property in the coming months/weeks, just take note that the pool is out of use (as the usual location for the restaurant) dur to upgrade work.  I did read previously also about noise from the top floor due to the nightclub/discotheek, but luckily dirng current pandamic/fasting period, I did not face this noise problem. HHonors elite recognition was ok - although maybe room upgrade might be minimal, since if I had not asked, it would have just been a one category upgrade even though suites and studios were available in abundance.  I also managed to get a late check-out until about 3pm (although if I am not mistaken, the associate mentioned this was a one-time exception?).  

IMG_20220402_091704778.jpg

IMG_20220402_104309155.jpg

IMG_20220402_112759256.jpg

IMG_20220402_005741901.jpg

Location OK, Friendly staff

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town?

No, thank you.
Yes
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
One surprising thing to me was all electrical outlets were the UK/Qatar type. There was also no USB charging points, so for those who need other outlet type, remember to bring your adapters.
Or, ask at the desk / conciege. I'm sure they have one they can lend you.

Nice review of a nice property. I was there 3 1/2 yers ago when there was major construction (loud) going on next door but presumably that's over by now.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a perfectly nice hotel, marred by being run in parallel as a nightclub and its rather messy location. Maybe a bit fur coat and no knickers in terms of the rather flash reception area, but I'm fine with that!

Guests should be careful what they ask for: a suite on a high floor can give unwanted exposure to noise from the nightclub. Staff seem adept at allocating "status" guests to quieter rooms on quieter floors - though that impression might result from comments I made on earlier stays….

I'm guessing Covid restrictions on entertainment venues have created a period of peace and quiet.

The hotel used to honour its Diamond guests with free beers. But it was a perk that wobbled, then finally disappeared. Maybe it was judged inappropriate - as well as an unnecessary self-imposed cost to the hotel.

In normal times, breakfast was a delight if you avoided the rush-hour. I believe it was always in the location the reviewer found it, but things change, and i had already switched my allegiance to other properties before Covid struck. It wasn't a hotel I could be certain of a peaceful night, and as room-rates edged up i settled on other establishments.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for that great review. I currently have a reservation at the new Hampton next door (yet to open) for the World Cup period, but was interested in perhaps trying to get into the Doubletree if the FIFA accommodation portal ever opened up hotel space (and depending on price, since I got a good rate at the Hampton). I'm not sure I'd even get Diamond benefits since I'd have to book through the accommodation portal, but the larger rooms/bathrooms (going with my dad) may be worth it. Definitely good info on the top floors (I usually like top floors for quiet) but disappointing about the cigarette smell. Hopefully that's not common.

Was it really a "messy" location or is that purely from construction? It seems like the walkability to the metro/museums/souq/fanfest area could be a benefit, especially compared to other options in the Hilton portfolio.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Thanks for that great review. I currently have a reservation at the new Hampton next door (yet to open) for the World Cup period, but was interested in perhaps trying to get into the Doubletree if the FIFA accommodation portal ever opened up hotel space (and depending on price, since I got a good rate at the Hampton). I'm not sure I'd even get Diamond benefits since I'd have to book through the accommodation portal, but the larger rooms/bathrooms (going with my dad) may be worth it. Definitely good info on the top floors (I usually like top floors for quiet) but disappointing about the cigarette smell. Hopefully that's not common.

Was it really a "messy" location or is that purely from construction? It seems like the walkability to the metro/museums/souq/fanfest area could be a benefit, especially compared to other options in the Hilton portfolio.

Messy because of construction which has been going on forever, and because it's a relatively small footprint hotel in a busy area, They do a Sunday brunch which is very popular with a young crowd who pack out the hotel's short approach, and the street round, with SUVs. Messy if you have a car !

The hilton's ok, but prices above its weight - i guess because of its beach …. and because the power of branding means it can
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just did a one night stay a few days ago, on a long layover. For $87 a night it was very good value for the money. We were upgraded to a studio on the 14th (top) floor. No in-room welcoming anything except two large bottles of water. Bathroom was quite large but we only got two bath towels and a single small towel for the bidet. No hand towels or wash cloths. That seemed a little skimpy. I noticed the dirty windows too. Pure (the rooftop restaurant and club) was closed during our visit but they supposedly were having a post-sunset Ramadan thing at the rooftop pool. We were in bed at 9 pm and never heard a peep. We had to leave for the airport well before breakfast time so can't report on that. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

It seemed like a quick trip to and from the airport. We paid 46 QAR for a regular taxi to the hotel and half that for an Uber on the return. Uber is definitely the way to go around town. We had two other car trips and the car was there in less than a minute each time. (Apparently the white Camry is the Uber car of choice. All three of ours were white Camrys.) I think the previously reported construction around the hotel was cleared away. I didn't notice anything.

Souk Waqif is an easy ~15 minute walk from the hotel. I can recommend a Georgian restaurant there. Al Terrace. Picture below. Take a jacket if you will be out after dark. It got pretty chilly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.