Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by henry999
First of all, I have to say that the previous poster and I have a very different understanding of what 'close' means, as in 'close to the airport'. The Doubletree in Doha Old Town may be closer than, say, the Hilton downtown; 13 km compared to 19 km. But it still takes a fair while to get there, even when the traffic is thin.

Anyway, our recent stay was altogether enjoyable. The location is nice, the hotel is nice, the staff are nice, the breakfast is nice and if you keep your eyes open you should be able to get a very reasonable rate. We would happily stay there again.

HOWEVER -- and this is unfortunate because it has nothing directly to do with the hotel -- there is a major construction project just beginning (late December '18) in a lot adjacent to the hotel and there will be a lot of noise for the next weeks and months. Be sure to get a room on the side away from the work! You'll still hear it but it won't be as bad as if it were right outside your window. I reached two surmises about this situation. First, this construction project must already be behind schedule because the work continues well past midnight ( ! ) and resumes around 6 a.m. Second, it must have some influential backers that the builders can so blatantly ignore any 'anti-social hours' rules, especially in light of the objections one expects that the Doubletree and the other hotels in the area must have raised.
Most of the construction activity in the middle east is off hours due to extreme heat.
Legally I think construction sites are closed between 12 and 4 in the afternoon.
Best time to work is nights and early AM for outdoor construction workers..
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by henry999
First of all, I have to say that the previous poster and I have a very different understanding of what 'close' means, as in 'close to the airport'. The Doubletree in Doha Old Town may be closer than, say, the Hilton downtown; 13 km compared to 19 km. But it still takes a fair while to get there, even when the traffic is thin.
It's all relative. Which hotels (part of a hotel chain) are closest to the airport in Doha? Marriott, DoubleTree, Sharq. There is no chain hotel which is less than 3km from the airport as far as I know. That is not to say that these 3 hotels are airport hotels, but they are the most convenient for a quick layover and the rest are significantly farther, time-wise, if not distance-wise. Depending on time of day, you can get heavy traffic going to the Corniche so the 19km vs 13km you note can mean 30+ minutes with traffic to reach the Hilton compared to 10 minutes for DT. DT and others are near the beginning of the Corniche and it makes a difference.

If I am only there for 10 hours, give me the DT in 10 minutes by taxi rather than half an hour each way for Hilton.

But that's just me...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
Most of the construction activity in the middle east is off hours due to extreme heat.
No extreme heat in December. Lovely days with highs of 20-25.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
for those that have stayed recently - how much is a taxi from the airport to the DT - am arriving 5.45pm on Wednesday early January - also assume cash.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Stayed three nights last week - loved the hotel - easy walk to the Souq and along the Cornishe.
Upgraded to Presidential Suite ! as hotel was overbooked
Breakfast buffet was OK - nothing to thrill about but ample choices
Ate in the L2 restaurant one night and food and service was good. They also do "business lunch" for QAR 90 which I thought was good value for the large buffet selection.
Wifi had good speed and never dropped a signal - and was watching amazon prime no problem
Staff there are really nice, welcoming and helpful, nothing too much trouble and always happy to see you and mention you by name whenever you go to the desk.
small bottle of wine and some pringles in the room. You also get a free drink voucher for "Pure" the rooftop bar/club and a QAR 70 voucher for the L2 restaurant
Asked for late checkout until 1.30 - was told could keep the room until 6pm if I needed it - no problem at all.
I got UBER to / from airport and was QAR 28
One point to note is the nightclub on the top floor is directly above the Suite (and can also be heard several floors down) This didn't particularly bother me as music is continuous so can sleep through it - I have more problems with noises stop / starting.

Presidential Suite Doubletree Doha
escape4 likes this.

Last edited by holmedown; Jan 25, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by holmedown
Upgraded to Presidential Suite !

Wifi had good speed and never dropped a signal - and was watching amazon prime no problem

Staff there are really nice, welcoming and helpful, nothing too much trouble and always happy to see you and mention you by name whenever you go to the desk.
small bottle of wine and some pringles in the room. You also get a free drink voucher for "Pure" the rooftop bar/club and a QAR 70 voucher for the L2 restaurant
Asked for late checkout until 1.30 - was told could keep the room until 6pm if I needed it - no problem at all.

One point to note is the nightclub on the top floor is directly above the Suite (and can also be heard several floors down) This didn't particularly bother me as music is continuous so can sleep through it - I have more problems with noises stop / starting.
Strange how a mega-upgrade colours our view of a hotel

But anyway, the food voucher and beer voucher is dead. The small bottle of red wine and pringles are part of the mini-bar (always were, but things might be different in the Presidential suite!)

The nightclub noise reaches way down to floor twelve and probably below.

It's a hotel that upgrades by "sea-view", higher-floor type categories when it can.

All in all, fine if you are like the location and/or need to stay "on brand" but it's over-priced without the little frills they used to hand out. For diamonds it might be worth splashing out an extra USD30/40 to get the Hilton with its lounge, pool, beach, better upgrades and all-round nicer vibe.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:30 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

But anyway, the food voucher and beer voucher is dead. The small bottle of red wine and pringles are part of the mini-bar (always were, but things might be different in the Presidential suite!)

It's a hotel that upgrades by "sea-view", higher-floor type categories when it can.

All in all, fine if you are like the location and/or need to stay "on brand" but it's over-priced without the little frills they used to hand out. For diamonds it might be worth splashing out an extra USD30/40 to get the Hilton with its lounge, pool, beach, better upgrades and all-round nicer vibe.
Does this rooftop nightclub operate loudly 7 days/week? Have a short overnighter coming up & a very early start the next day. Doesn't sound good
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I believe it does. They close early, though - 2 am
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Stayed again a few days later - got the room I selected on-line - again got the wine and pringles (not in the mini-bar but by the TV) and the vouchers (this was a week after my original stay)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:37 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by remymartin
I believe it does. They close early, though - 2 am
Yikes - I suspect I will cancel my stay - as quality of sleep is paramount
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by holmedown
Stayed again a few days later - got the room I selected on-line - again got the wine and pringles (not in the mini-bar but by the TV) and the vouchers (this was a week after my original stay)
Yup, wine and pringles on desk top. Even in Doha red wine doesn't get put in the mini-bar fridge; but the mini-bar price-list was propped against the bottle on my visit.

I quizzed reception staff and they promise the wine and pringles are, and always have been, part of the mini-bar stock. So you were most fortunate if you partook and were not charged

I did note that the humble bottles of water were very clearly labelled complimentary, so i'd expect a wildly expensive bottle of wine to be so tagged if it were indeed a freebie.

The explanation for withdrawal of beer and food vouchers was that these originally stood in lieu of an executive lounge; but as everyone now knows DoubleTrees don't have lounges, these privileges were withdrawn. I corrected the manager on that analysis

They did say they were looking into a way of separating Diamonds et al from the rest of the guests in the breakfast room(s). That just sounded silly.

To escape nightclub noise, avoid upgrades to a higher floor and go for level 10 or lower.

There's better value in Doha, though perhaps not in-brand - although I do rate the Hilton, it can get pricey.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:58 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Yikes - I suspect I will cancel my stay - as quality of sleep is paramount
Cancelled! Too risky
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:56 am

I'm quite sensitive to noise but had a room that was 3-4 floors below the rooftop (can't recall exactly which), and it was fine.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I have stayed in the hotel already around 20+ nights this year and the loss of the voucher is a big hit for me! as it was really useful and it encouraged me to spend more in the in room dining say, so not sure why they removed it!

I have to say the management of the hotel is really good from the front desk manager to the operations manager and they understand the club is a big headache for the hotel guests however it is also a massive revenue generator for the hotel and is probably the only hotel in Doha that operates at a near 100% capacity most nights.

However my time there maybe coming to an end because there is very few perks as a Diamond member there and as a Marriott Ambassador member I can get better benefits at the Marriott properties in Doha now than I can at Doubletree (Hilton Doha is decent but the lounge is nothing to write home about and the decor is quite dated).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I had a stay here a couple of weeks ago. Check in was slow, and they were initially provided an upgrade but to a smoking room which I did not want; after some back and forth they eventually provided the room type that I had booked. As a diamond, I received the drink and food vouchers.

I ended up on a lower floor so the noise from the club wasn’t noticeable although the area does attract quite a bit of traffic.

I was quite satisfied with the quantity and quality of items provided at the breakfast buffet in the restaurant but the buffet at the Hilton is much nicer.

I had a couple of stays at the Hilton also and if the rates are anywhere close I will continue to choose the Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.