Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is the latest I can cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

When is the latest I can cancel?

I have an upcoming stay at an Embassy Suites, Saturday one night stay.

The reservation details say "If you wish to cancel, please do so 24 hours prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties." The check-in time is 3pm.

What is the latest I can cancel the reservation to avoid any fees.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Check your confirmation email. Under the RATE RULES AND CANCELLATION POLICY section it should give you the exact date and time.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Others will chime in as to when the actual 24 hours clock starts. Many confirmations will actual give a time, like "cancel before 4pm on January 28,2016....)

Meanwhile, I have to chuckle. It says to call xxx BEFORE ARRIVAL.

Which part of NOT ARRIVING do they not get?

Just a chuckle. That's all.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice about checking the email. It says the deadline is 4pm Friday, which seems reasonable but somewhat arbitrary given the '24 hours before arrival'.

I had been looking at the reservation details on the app, which does not mention a specific time.

Screen shot from app:
Attached Images  
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have found Easy Cancellation policies that are 48h in advance!

Not special events...just standard at some hotels... that is extremely un-easy cancellation as the most expensive rate generally available.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:00 am

Nothing uneasy about it...just cancel 48 hours in advance. Easy doesn't equal "cancel anytime".

Anyway, I generally treat "24 hours in advance" as 24 hours prior to the earliest normal check in time unless I see otherwise, although I really don't like cutting it that close. I once had to cancel a stay where the cut off time was 6pm. It was 6:30pm Eastern time where I was, but 5:30pm Central time where the hotel was located. I was able to cancel without a problem. I also had to cancel a Vegas (not a Hilton) hotel stay 72 hours in advance, and cancelled it just prior to that time. Again, no problems.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It is not too much to ask to expect properties to state cancel times without ambiguity. Something of the form 'Cancel by 4PM Jan 31 local time' would do it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It is not too much to ask to expect properties to state cancel times without ambiguity. Something of the form 'Cancel by 4PM Jan 31 local time' would do it.
And that, in my experience, is what you find in the confirmation email. Unfortunately they have been lazy about including precise times anywhere else. If nothing else, when you make a reservation they should tell you to check your confirmation email for the exact cancellation limit. The customer shouldn't have to look all over the place to determine when they can cancel.

edited to add: This assumes the policy when you book is stated as something like 24 hours before arrival so you have time to cancel after you get your email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.