Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

No Show but Hilton Says I had a drink from the minibar (Fraud Alert)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show but Hilton Says I had a drink from the minibar (Fraud Alert)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ashkale
So I skipped my overnight layover at the Hilton Fashion District due to the weather at NYC and flew directly to GIG/GRU thanks to an early arrival on AA107, consequently missed the deadline to cancel the booking at Hilton Fashion District so it was shocking to get the email bill/folio from Hotel including a mini bar charge..still find it unbelievable that this can happen.
Your profile says you are a Hilton Diamond. I cannot imagine how a call or email to hotel management would not resolve this quickly. i would suggest not using the word fraud in that conversation.
Also, I have called way past 'deadlines' to cancel due to travel delays/cancellations and a Hilton hotel has never had a problem with canceling my reservation and not charging me a cancellation fee as a Diamond.
In purely legal terms, this is a hotel 'error', not fraud.

Last edited by Suite Disposition; Jan 24, 2016 at 3:59 am
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Suite Disposition
Your profile says you are a Hilton Diamond. I cannot imagine how a call or email to hotel management would not resolve this quickly. i would suggest not using the word fraud in that conversation.
Also, I have called way past 'deadlines' to cancel due to travel delays/cancellations and a Hilton hotel has never had a problem with canceling my reservation and not charging me a cancellation fee as a Diamond.
In purely legal terms, this is a hotel 'error', not fraud.
Slightly different but of the same vein. At WA Amsterdam on checkout
I had minibar charges of circa 50euro incorrectly charged for beer/soda/water

When I disputed stating I took zero drinks. I was told in no uncertain terms by checkout ladies that housekeeping restocked minibar at 1430 and I was responsible as I was in the room
Despite being in hotel still and had proof I checked in 6pm onwards, the desk were refusing to remove the charges, which hotel obviously never charged previous occupants on their checkout

I always check minibars on first entering room but at WA Amsterdam in that instance content stocked list agreed with actuality !

Just wondering if you did online checkin to try and get night+points credit as too late to cancel. If no online checkin them there is no reason whatsoever for hotel to bill you for incidentals.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Slightly different but of the same vein. At WA Amsterdam on checkout
I had minibar charges of circa 50euro incorrectly charged for beer/soda/water

When I disputed stating I took zero drinks. I was told in no uncertain terms by checkout ladies that housekeeping restocked minibar at 1430 and I was responsible as I was in the room
Despite being in hotel still and had proof I checked in 6pm onwards, the desk were refusing to remove the charges, which hotel obviously never charged previous occupants on their checkout

I always check minibars on first entering room but at WA Amsterdam in that instance content stocked list agreed with actuality !

Just wondering if you did online checkin to try and get night+points credit as too late to cancel. If no online checkin them there is no reason whatsoever for hotel to bill you for incidentals.
No online checkin-have found that totally unhelpful feature! Have my own suspicions on some kind of data breach, but can't really firm this, so have emailed the hotel to reverse the charges and requested to provide a credit on future stays due to the crazy snow. Had been in transit and mileage running from kul for close to 24hrs so had no connectivity and couldn't cancel in time.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:16 am

No online checkin-have found that totally unhelpful feature! Have my own suspicions on some kind of data breach, but can't really firm this, so have emailed the hotel to reverse the charges and requested to provide a credit on future stays due to the crazy snow. Had been in transit and mileage running from kul for close to 24hrs so had no connectivity and couldn't cancel in time.
While I understand where you stand on the erroneous minibar charges, I do not see how you can expect the future stay credit regardless the reason behind the no show. That is what travel insurance are for. However, given their error in the charges, you might get what you requested.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr

Did you eventually succeeded in getting this waived? If you had checked in / arrived after the stated restocking time, I cannot imagine how they can claimed you consumed what they restocked. In addition to having the charge waived, was there also any other service recovery gesture for this ridiculous incident?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Data breach?

Since you never cancelled, they held the room for you, as requested.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Data breach?

Since you never cancelled, they held the room for you, as requested.
Yeah absolutely right and also checked in for me and while they were at it had a couple of drinks for me from the mini-bar.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Yeah absolutely right and also checked in for me and while they were at it had a couple of drinks for me from the mini-bar.

When you contacted the hotel what were you told?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Where is the data breach?

A no show gets charged using the credit card that was used when reserving.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
They probably checked you in anyway and assume you actually stayed there. Once they did the minibar check, something was missing. Apparently they did not notice it from the last occupant.

So, you were charged.

It happens. As a freq travelor, surprised this has not happened to you before. In most cases, a quick call to the hotel should clear it up. In this case, it should be easy. Often the hotel just wipes it off but not sure if the customer is right or wrong.
sounds like fraud to me.

I just stayed at the Hilton Fashion District last night (made it in before the storm) and they have automatic minibars which charge when you take an item. So someone must have taken something and they hotel charged it although they never issued room keys.

Not sure what you guys call this, but to me this is fraud.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfischer
sounds like fraud to me.

I just stayed at the Hilton Fashion District last night (made it in before the storm) and they have automatic minibars which charge when you take an item. So someone must have taken something and they hotel charged it although they never issued room keys.

Hold up......considering some of the minibars are "touch sensitive", due to the optical sensor(s). If something is disturbed or moved it records as an item being "consumed". There are many instances, I've witness and so have others, where they put something in the minibar like breast milk, and it recorded movement, and the hotel assumed item(s) were consumed.

If you travel you know this.

In my mind, I was thinking that when staff did a room check and looked in the minibar, it "recorded" that movement.

Bottom line the OP needs to deal with the hotel. Obviously, is he never checked in, he could not have consumed anything.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
sounds like fraud to me.... So someone must have taken something and they hotel charged it although they never issued room keys.

It is still possible there is an explanation. I am assuming they checked the OP in. Others are assuming somebody actually took something from the minibar (theft), or the hotel was trying to just make some money off the OP.

Lots of assumptions.

If the OP had cancelled, this would never had happened.
If the OP calls the credit card company, he will never, ever know.
If he contacts the hotel, he MIGHT have a better idea.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Contacted the hotel the minute I had internet, didn't hear back till this morning. I am in NYC soon again and intend to get the police involved here to check the cctv and see which brother used and sold my room. Disgusting really.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:07 pm

Contacted the hotel the minute I had internet, didn't hear back till this morning. I am in NYC soon again and intend to get the police involved here to check the cctv and see which brother used and sold my room. Disgusting really.
Oy. This keeps getting more entertaining. Now we have an ongoing saga...perhaps suitable for a TV series.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:14 pm
Suspended

"Brother"?? Do you know what you're saying?

If you contacted the hotel, please share the conversation so we can end this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.