Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I will be staying at this resort from March 21st to March 27th.

Anyone else staying during that period?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
While this seems off topic to me even, the wiki includes Mr. Samui's information for taxi and possible tour. I'm curious what the experience has been of his "two-hour tour."

It is our first visit to Koh Samui and would like to get a feel outside of the resort but not sure how much there is to actually see from a cab ride.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bigjim
While this seems off topic to me even, the wiki includes Mr. Samui's information for taxi and possible tour. I'm curious what the experience has been of his "two-hour tour."

It is our first visit to Koh Samui and would like to get a feel outside of the resort but not sure how much there is to actually see from a cab ride.
It's worth it. I did a five hour tour with him and it was one of the highlights of the trip. Mr. samui is an extremely interesting and genuinely good guys, and you get to see a lot of the islands highlights - temples, waterfalls, Buddhist statues, famous rock formations, authentic markets. He will make the tour what you want it. We ask for some authentic street food, and he didn't disappoint.

Anyhow, you get a really neat look into thai culture, feel free to ask him anything - his story, his view on island life, his take on the thai protests, etc. can't say enough about what a nice guy he is
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by freeloader
It's worth it. I did a five hour tour with him and it was one of the highlights of the trip. Mr. samui is an extremely interesting and genuinely good guys, and you get to see a lot of the islands highlights - temples, waterfalls, Buddhist statues, famous rock formations, authentic markets. He will make the tour what you want it. We ask for some authentic street food, and he didn't disappoint.

Anyhow, you get a really neat look into thai culture, feel free to ask him anything - his story, his view on island life, his take on the thai protests, etc. can't say enough about what a nice guy he is
+1

The above-mentioned sightseeing spots are interesting, but somehow pedestrian, as I've been to this kind of routine many times. Nonetheless, if Thai culture is something new to you, I would still recommend the tour.

What I was deeply impressed are the super cheap Thai massage shop and authentic Thai restaurant he recommended.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dcislander
For what it's worth, I did not find any of the non-resort restaurant Thai food any better than the 40 thai places within 2 miles of our home here. We are lucky that we have tons of Thai around here, but most are fairly ubiquitous and I found the KS places to be the same. If you like usually fare Thai food, there is tons of it and in much more beautiful surroundings than back home---but the zen food experience just wasn't there (at least for us).

Enjoy the views!
Agree.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
My January Conrad and Samui Trip Report. How often can you say that something lives up to the hype? This place really does.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EP and former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Elmo469
I will be staying at this resort from March 21st to March 27th.

Anyone else staying during that period?
At the Conrad too depart 28th. No sense of time being here...heading to Happy Hour...sunset at Lobby now.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler; UA-1K; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; SPG Platinum
A few questions hopefully someone can answer:

1) Can anyone tell me if the Tesco takes credit cards or is it cash only?

2) Is there an ATM at Conrad Koh Samui?

3) If the hotel exchanges USD to THB, does anyone know the rate - was it competitive?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PandaHouston

Takes credit cards, but two of my cc's (both US-issues, both with chip) did NOT work. It was probably a fluke, but I'd have cash on hand to be safe. FYI, Tesco nor most other shops won't sell alcohol between certain hours. Search upthread for exact times.

Not that I recall.

3) If the hotel exchanges USD to THB, does anyone know the rate - was it competitive?
Dunno, but hotel forex is rarely good (that goes for credit card purchases as well).

Have fun. The place is amazing.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by PandaHouston

I could also use some insight. I'm wondering if there is an atm in either BKK or USM that is associated with a major intl or Thai bank hat would allow for a fair forex rate when withdrawing cash?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Anybody here this weekend? Noticed some folks from my TG F NRT-BKK flight in the breakfast area earlier.

Originally Posted by Deking
I could also use some insight. I'm wondering if there is an atm in either BKK or USM that is associated with a major intl or Thai bank hat would allow for a fair forex rate when withdrawing cash?
In the Samui airport, near the taxi pickup/meeting area, there is a long line of ATMs associated with Thai banks. I used the ATM of the Siam Commercial Bank - Thailand's largest bank - to withdraw THB via my Bank of America debit card. The rate was 32.49 THB per USD, which is fair, but the ATM charged a steep 150 THB fee. Also, I could only figure out how to withdraw in the amounts of 1,000; 2,000; 5,000; and 10,000 THB.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jbsay
Anybody here this weekend?
There are at least 2-4 FTers at the property as of breakfast time today, if point bookings and breakfast inclusion are any indication. Is one of them the Asian guy with a taller European-looking significant other? There's a French speaking family but they aren't FTers. There's an American father
-son family at least that is there too. Presumably you with the boy? The guy I know there is leaving the place tonight or tomorrow early with his SO.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
The cash and points option here is really an amazing use of HHonors points. I couldn't resist extending my stay by a night - having originally booked 2 nights with certificates - for 32,000 points and ~$170 (including fees). It seems this property opens up rooms for cash and points fairly late in the game, so I'm fortunate I was able to score some the extra night.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I wonder if anybody actually ever pays the cash price at this hotel ...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sbams
I wonder if anybody actually ever pays the cash price at this hotel ...
me ... I booked a pool villa for 11.500 THB ++ per night during the january promotion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.