Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:58 pm

A tourist SIM card costs THB 299/USD 9 for 8 days with 2,5 GB (4G) and THB 100 call credit or
THB 599/USD 18 for 15 days with 6GB (4G) and THB 100 call credit. Even if it may not work at the villas of CKS, it's a strong buy recommendation for Thailand.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Just booked 5nts award (5th nt free!). Booked into the waterfront pool villa. So these rooms are the 100s? And they are better than the 200s room? According to the hilton site, the 100s (waterfront villas) are the cheapest...?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:36 pm

Yes, in the 100s.

Short answer: no. Long answer: the only difference for all the one bedroom villas is the height above sea level.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Woot.. Woot. Flying into BKK at 12:20am on Nov 9th. Just do happen to turn 40 four hours later. Fly to Koh Som on the 10th. Using a free night cert via Visa to stay at Conrad in Retreat villa then upgrading the 11th thru 13th to the Conrad Royal 1 Bdrm suite via 396k points. It's just me on this trip as wife has to teach back in South Dakota. Should be a pretty epic trip. Ready for some drinks, sand and hopefully some beautiful sunny weather. Ohhhhh.... Cheap massages will be a plus as well
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Woot.. Woot. Flying into BKK at 12:20am on Nov 9th. Just do happen to turn 40 four hours later. Fly to Koh Som on the 10th. Using a free night cert via Visa to stay at Conrad in Retreat villa then upgrading the 11th thru 13th to the Conrad Royal 1 Bdrm suite via 396k points. It's just me on this trip as wife has to teach back in South Dakota. Should be a pretty epic trip. Ready for some drinks, sand and hopefully some beautiful sunny weather. Ohhhhh.... Cheap massages will be a plus as well
Congrats on your B'day!

Don't know what you mean by cheap, but they won't be local-cheap unless you drive to one of the cities. Hope you're renting a car -- as a solo traveler myself I thoroughly enjoyed my days, but nights are another matter. Nothing to do at all around the resort after dark.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes. Standard upgrade is to the beach level (100s), 2nd tier upgrade is to the 300s which are the Ocean View Retreats. I'm guessing that, whenever they can, they give the standard 'upgrade' (which is somewhat of a downgrade in many people's eyes) to the beach level to non-HH guests and to the 300s and upwards to HH elites.

As an HH Diamond I booked Ocean View Retreat villa in the recent South East Asia flash sale. I noticed that when checking-in on the app we had been pre-assigned a villa in the 200s - surely that would have been a downgrade.
When choosing to select own room I could choose from villas in the 100s, 200s and 300s, so of course chose a 300 villa.
When arriving at the resort our room wasn't ready but again offered a villa in the 200s so decided to wait. No mention by check-in staff that this would have been a downgrade though.
Unfortunately no mention of (lack of) upgrade either.
It's only through this forum that I was aware of the villa #s relating to each villa type - so thank you
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Congrats on your B'day!

​​​​​​Don't know what you mean by cheap, but they won't be local-cheap unless you drive to one of the cities. Hope you're renting a car -- as a solo traveler myself I thoroughly enjoyed my days, but nights are another matter. Nothing to do at all around the resort after dark.
Appreciate the Birthday nod. I fly somewhere in the world every year for my Birthday and stay at one of Hilton's true elite properties.

My banter unfortunately did not come thru the internet in regards to "cheap". I expect "cheap" massages in BKK, not in Koh Sumai (maybe there is hope) and especially not at the Conrad.

​​​So what you are saying is after dark I better have a whole lot of alcohol, a Bluetooth speaker and a whole lot of swimming prowess

On a side note, for my 27th Bday I flew to Bora Bora as it was still the Hilton and stayed in the relatively inexpensive Hillside Villa. I will say that as a solo adventurist (Wife despises longer airplane rides than six hours) I had to make BB incredible for myself as I was probably the only single traveler on the island. I expect the same for the Conrad at Koh Sumai.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:28 am

I was probably the only single traveler on the island. I expect the same for the Conrad at Koh Sumai.
I wouldn't expect that. The CKS is maybe not the typical place for single travelers on Koh Samui, but the chance of other single travelers at the same time is still significant.

Staying at CKS you need a driver to join nightlife or - if you can enjoy nightlife without drinking alcohol - a rental car. It's easy to get comfortable transportation services for a reasonable price.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by thbe
I wouldn't expect that. The CKS is maybe not the typical place for single travelers on Koh Samui, but the chance of other single travelers at the same time is still significant.

Staying at CKS you need a driver to join nightlife or - if you can enjoy nightlife without drinking alcohol - a rental car. It's easy to get comfortable transportation services for a reasonable price.

That is good to know about CKS. I'm all about meeting other like minded individuals when traveling internationally.

Any chance that you know of a private driver who can be hired for the night. Pick me up at CKS then to a bar and he/she can sit in car until I'm done then go to another. Four or so hours shld be plenty of time then finally a ride back to CKS. Does thus exist on Koh Som?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:59 pm

If you make contact with Mr. Samui he would probably be able to introduce a driver to you if he or his brother(s) couldn't do it themselves.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:02 am

Yes, Mr. Samui‘s reputation is very good.

You can also ask any other taxi driver or at any other place where transportation services are offered. Maybe that will take some time, but it can be entertaining and hey, you are on holidays.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
If you make contact with Mr. Samui he would probably be able to introduce a driver to you if he or his brother(s) couldn't do it themselves.
Great idea! Appreciate the reply
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by thbe
Yes, Mr. Samui‘s reputation is very good.

I've read on TA that Mr Sumai is the one to go with.

You can also ask any other taxi driver or at any other place where transportation services are offered. Maybe that will take some time, but it can be entertaining and hey, you are on holidays.
Either way I'm not stressing about this. If it works, fantastic! If not, large private pool oceanfront and I'm good.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Appreciate the Birthday nod. I fly somewhere in the world every year for my Birthday and stay at one of Hilton's true elite properties.

My banter unfortunately did not come thru the internet in regards to "cheap". I expect "cheap" massages in BKK, not in Koh Sumai (maybe there is hope) and especially not at the Conrad.

​​​So what you are saying is after dark I better have a whole lot of alcohol, a Bluetooth speaker and a whole lot of swimming prowess

On a side note, for my 27th Bday I flew to Bora Bora as it was still the Hilton and stayed in the relatively inexpensive Hillside Villa. I will say that as a solo adventurist (Wife despises longer airplane rides than six hours) I had to make BB incredible for myself as I was probably the only single traveler on the island. I expect the same for the Conrad at Koh Sumai.
Amen, brother, my wife and longish flights don't mix either, so I'm still a solo traveler more often than not.

But no, that's not what I'm saying. Alcohol and swimming work great during the day -- at night I was happy to find myself elsewhere on the island, because the silence and darkness would creep me out after the first night.

And I really wouldn't count on taxis. I mean, it's fine to get a cab to a restaurant, airport or even Lamai when you can plan things in advance, but when you're in town looking for a late night ride back to the hotel, expect to pay through the nose. Unless you strike a deal to keep a driver at your beck and call. I don't know, I feel a rental would be a less complicated and definitely cheaper solution.

Last edited by mnscout; Oct 16, 2017 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Amen, brother, my wife and longish flights don't mix either, so I'm still a solo traveler more often than not.

But no, that's not what I'm saying. Alcohol and swimming work great during the day -- at night I was happy to find myself elsewhere on the island, because the silence and darkness would creep me out after the first night.

Unless you strike a deal to keep a driver at your beck and call. I don't know, I feel a rental would be a less complicated and definitely cheaper solution.

​​​​Did you end up renting a car or just pay through the roof to get you back to CKS from wherever you were on the island?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.