Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
So you get both the Hilton and Amex points.
thanks! I don't even know if I have actual amex points with the HH Amex card. I'm probably not using it efficiently plus I barely use HH points because I rarely stay at hotels.
the shaved ice at GW is good. It works for me!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gaobest

thanks! I don't even know if I have actual amex points with the HH Amex card. I'm probably not using it efficiently plus I barely use HH points because I rarely stay at hotels.
the shaved ice at GW is good. It works for me!
I worded that a bit incorrectly. You do not get AMEX MR points. I meant you get the 12 points for charges at a Hilton property plus the points for your stay. So an example would be something like a $200 dinner at Humu. If you charge it directly to your Hilton Amex and it is coded as dining vs a Hilton expense, you would be losing points. Same with gift shop charges etc. If you charge that same $200 to your room you will get your full point bonus on your room charge and then pay for the entire thing on your Hilton Amex and it will all be coded as Hilton charges or at 12 points per dollar
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
This isn't true for Diamonds. Just read back through the thread and see the upgrades Diamonds have gotten, including ourselves. I haven't seen the same for Golds.

Is the Kula Cafe certificates just Diamonds? Or Diamonds and Golds.
I too was "upgraded" in 2016 as a Diamond. It was fine but nothing I would chase status for. For me a real benefit would be breakfast which as we know is a no go at WAs
Old May 13, 2018, 8:03 pm

If you're a Diamond and staying in the Napua tower, do you still get the $15 credit at the Kula Cafe? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I've been regularly vacationing in Hawaii for the past 30 years, staying a week or two almost every year. I've been to Maui many times, but not in the past 6 or 7 years. Honestly, we've grown a bit fonder of some of the other islands, and have kind of viewed Maui as "expensive for what it is."

But, thanks to the blogs, we recently found a crazy good flight deal for next winter to Maui and figured we should reacquaint ourselves with the island. We generally prefer non-condo vacation rentals, but usually combine that with a couple nights at one of the high-end chain hotels when I can use loyalty points and such.

As a Diamond member with a couple of free weekend night certificates to use, it seems like a no-brainer to use them at the Grand Wailea for this trip. I was a little disappointed when I first looked at award availability and found none. But I've now looked again, saw availability, and booked 2 nights.

I must say though that my reservation is without considerable enthusiasm. Wailea was never my favorite spot on Maui, and W-A is only ranked on tripadvisor as the 7th best (of 8) hotels in Wailea. For free, I guess I don't care so much, unless my travels in the next year happen to take me somewhere where there is a much better (and also expensive) Hilton I should be using my certs at instead. But, that said, I'm kind of appalled by what this hotel is charging for what seems like an only "adequate" Hawaiian resort experience. It's very expensive on points (95,000), but the published rates seem nuts to me: the cheapest room for my nights is (with tax and fees) going for more than $750, no breakfast.

I guess what I'm wondering is who is paying these rates to stay at what seems to be a fairly "garden variety" resort? Looking around at other properties, Maui does seem expensive for Hawaii, but how many Hawaiian visitors MUST go to Maui? On the Big Island, I routinely get fantastic vacation rentals for under $200/night. That's not "cheap," but is good value. If I had to pay $750/night for a no-frills stay at a mediocre high-end resort, I'm pretty sure I'd pick a different vacation.

So what am I missing here?
Old May 13, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Youre not missing anything...its a mediocre property with high rates.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess what I'm wondering is who is paying these rates to stay at what seems to be a fairly "garden variety" resort?
Wailea is a favored destination for silicon valley money.

I don't understand it either.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
If you're a Diamond and staying in the Napua tower, do you still get the $15 credit at the Kula Cafe? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask.
You will get the credit irrespective of the room type you book.

What you are missing here is that it is up to others to decide where and how to spend their money and what to think of a particular property. If you think that Grand Wailea does not offer enough for the rates they charge it does not mean that others are of similar views. Not everyone thinks that a rate of a certain level must come with breakfast and/or other amenities. No need to preoccupy yourself with thinking about why others choose to stay here as their reasons obviously won't persuade you to decide to do the same. What is 'adequate' is a very personal judgement after all. Everything is relative - a US$750 rate means different things to different people. Moreover, rates here are often cheaper than what you quoted. It is only during busy and popular periods that they are this high.
I have just come back from the Grand Wailea and had a great time. I certainly do not think that it is a mediocre property and can see why it appeals to those who stay here. I love how they renovated the rooms and I love the grounds/pools. I was upgraded to a great Deluxe Ocean view room and granted a complimentary 5pm checkout. It is not a property to vacation 'on the cheap,' but I don't think Hawaii is a cheap destination in general.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Andriyko
You will get the credit irrespective of the room type you book.

What you are missing here is that it is up to others to decide where and how to spend their money and what to think of a particular property. If you think that Grand Wailea does not offer enough for the rates they charge it does not mean that others are of similar views. Not everyone thinks that a rate of a certain level must come with breakfast and/or other amenities. No need to preoccupy yourself with thinking about why others choose to stay here as their reasons obviously won't persuade you to decide to do the same. What is 'adequate' is a very personal judgement after all. Everything is relative - a US$750 rate means different things to different people. Moreover, rates here are often cheaper than what you quoted. It is only during busy and popular periods that they are this high.
I have just come back from the Grand Wailea and had a great time. I certainly do not think that it is a mediocre property and can see why it appeals to those who stay here. I love how they renovated the rooms and I love the grounds/pools. I was upgraded to a great Deluxe Ocean view room and granted a complimentary 5pm checkout. It is not a property to vacation 'on the cheap,' but I don't think Hawaii is a cheap destination in general.
This!!!
Old May 14, 2018, 7:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Wailea was never my favorite spot on Maui, and W-A is only ranked on tripadvisor as the 7th best (of 8) hotels in Wailea.
Take that with a grain of salt. I was curious, so I looked at the 'rankings'. They're so subjective and do not account for parallel comparisons...You'll see the Residence Inn is ranked higher--I've spent a night there when we got delayed once. It's a Residence Inn...A Residence Inn. One not located on the water, nor really within walking distance of the beach (maybe a mile or more, with no direct route). A cookie cutter pool which is reminiscent of a...Residence Inn. It's a GREAT Residence Inn. But 'better' than the GW? I guess if having a kitchen and paying a lower rate trumps everything else, then yes...It should be ranked higher. But comparing rates, I've seen this hotel in the $400s--not over Christmas or Easter either.

I hear mediocre things about Andaz, also ranked higher...Check out the Hyatt forum.

I've also stayed at the Marriott next door, again, ranked higher...I was not impressed in the slightest. First and foremost, pools aren't heated. Doesn't sound like much, but in December, NO ONE was swimming because the water was so cold. The infinity pool looked nice, but wasn't functional. Everyone was in the hot tubs, and at times, there was a line to get in said hot tubs! Rooms weren't as nice. Nothing 'included' for Gold/Plat members. Nice location and view, but the GW has that too.

I'll concede that both the Four Seasons and the Fairmont are probably a better luxury experience than the GW. But I haven't stayed at either...I hear good things, but again...Haven't stayed to know for sure.

But again, different people expect different things. We go to the GW for the pools, both before and now after we've had kids. We love it and if that's your thing, no doubt the GW is #1 in Wailea for that. YMMV. But I ask that you don't read too much into those reviews--define what is important to you in a hotel/resort experience and go from there.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Take that with a grain of salt. I was curious, so I looked at the 'rankings'. They're so subjective and do not account for parallel comparisons...You'll see the Residence Inn is ranked higher--I've spent a night there when we got delayed once. It's a Residence Inn...A Residence Inn. One not located on the water, nor really within walking distance of the beach (maybe a mile or more, with no direct route). A cookie cutter pool which is reminiscent of a...Residence Inn. It's a GREAT Residence Inn. But 'better' than the GW? I guess if having a kitchen and paying a lower rate trumps everything else, then yes...It should be ranked higher. But comparing rates, I've seen this hotel in the $400s--not over Christmas or Easter either.
There are obviously mis-rankings on Tripadvisor, but there is almost always a genuine impact on perceived "value" in the ratings. Participants will give higher ratings to hotels that they feel deliver better value. This is why, in most cities, the "extended stay" hotels tend to score very well, as average customers get lots of stuff "for free" and feel more charitably toward those properties. On the flip side, regular hotels -- with no freebies and very high hotel rates -- tend to get mediocre scores even if they are, objectively, "better hotels." The Grand Wailea seems like the poster boy for such a hotel!

BTW, if I had to pay $750/night for a resort in Hawaii, I would NEVER stay at a resort in Hawaii. Kind of like I never pay to stay at a resort in Bermuda: they can be nice, but the value is horrific. It's a big world. Honestly, at $750, if you live on the West Coast, you're better flying a bit further across the Pacific and going to Southeast Asia for your vacation. For example, I think a comparable Balinese resort would cost 1/6th this price. And all your other expenses would be far less than half. I have a hard time believing that the folks who are spending this money don't realize this, or care.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
You can't compare a beach resort in Hawaii with a beach resort in Bali. That is totally out of whack. You can't really equate a beach resort in Mexico with a beach resort in Hawaii. False comparisons.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
You can't compare a beach resort in Hawaii with a beach resort in Bali. That is totally out of whack. You can't really equate a beach resort in Mexico with a beach resort in Hawaii. False comparisons.
I most certainly can, and you can't stop me.

Seriously, big chain resorts tend to be very similar everywhere in the world. I would know; I've stayed in many big chain resorts everywhere in the world. They are FAR more similar than they are different.

Everything has a price. Nobody "needs" to vacation on Maui. If the prices are "totally out of whack" (and they seem to be) with resorts elsewhere in the world (and even in Hawaii) it stands to reason that it might be a good idea to vacation elsewhere. Paying $750/night would be a non-starter for me, especially at a mediocre resort. In Bali (comparison alert!) I've rented a private beachfront compound (with staff and cook) for less than a third that price. I don't expect those prices in Hawaii, but I don't expect $750 for a room, either.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We spend a lot at the GW because we (including our 8-yr-old) love the pools and it's all we want. Plus we can go to Morimoto's at the Andaz for dinner. I can't imagine coming to GW without kids - I see it as a family-oriented resort with a convention center for tax dodging, except I can't actually get a tax benefit. Thankfully there are a ton of gorgeous lodging places in Maui that are cheaper and with better amenities. But I've never found a better pool experience in Maui.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are obviously mis-rankings on Tripadvisor, but there is almost always a genuine impact on perceived "value" in the ratings. Participants will give higher ratings to hotels that they feel deliver better value. This is why, in most cities, the "extended stay" hotels tend to score very well, as average customers get lots of stuff "for free" and feel more charitably toward those properties. On the flip side, regular hotels -- with no freebies and very high hotel rates -- tend to get mediocre scores even if they are, objectively, "better hotels." The Grand Wailea seems like the poster boy for such a hotel!

BTW, if I had to pay $750/night for a resort in Hawaii, I would NEVER stay at a resort in Hawaii. Kind of like I never pay to stay at a resort in Bermuda: they can be nice, but the value is horrific. It's a big world. Honestly, at $750, if you live on the West Coast, you're better flying a bit further across the Pacific and going to Southeast Asia for your vacation. For example, I think a comparable Balinese resort would cost 1/6th this price. And all your other expenses would be far less than half. I have a hard time believing that the folks who are spending this money don't realize this, or care.
sfo to Ogg is 5 hours nonstop. I believe SFO to Asia is more than "a bit further" - more like 12-15 hours to Bali or Thailand. And yes Asia is cheaper. I simply prefer Maui!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.