Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:26 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
...Is the membership worth it?...Is my math correct and is membership worth it?
My wife and I bought a membership about 6 years ago (it was $1500 initiation fee then, it just went to $2500 the first of 2017). At the time, we were childless, had been there 3 times in 2 years (all the way from Michigan), and loved the place. Our big kicker was that if we signed up during that stay, we'd get $500 off our folio for that stay, plus another $500 voucher valid for another year. The net $500 + $195/yr (at the time) was worth it. (The annual dues have been a consistent $225 for about the last 3 years).

We've since grown to having 2 kids, and still go annually. Our oldest was almost 3 and youngest was 9 months last time we were there. It's all about the pools for us as well. Of course the 3 y/o loved it, and so did my wife and I. In summary, reading what you wrote, we're a lot like you--we rarely venture off property, except for maybe dinner.

Yes, Michael, your basic math is correct (you also save that amount in the percent of taxes, since the room rate itself is discounted). To us, it's more than paid itself off probably 6 times over. Last year, booked a $439/night "BAR rate", got it down to $307...For 8 nights, that was over $1000 off. Now, their AAA rates might get the room down to $375 or so, therefore the savings are not absolute--there are 'deals' to be had otherwise. Note that while the terminology of "Best Available Rate" (B.A.R.), sounds like the best available rate, it may not actually be the BEST AVAILABLE RATE, but that is the rate from which your discount is given. Confusing as hell...Let me simplify, if these rates are available: "AAA RATE" $400, "AARP RATE $380", B.A.R. $450, Prepaid Non-Refundable $320. Your rate is discounted off the BAR rate, so $450 - 30% = $315, not 30% off of AAA or prepaid or another special that might be going on at that time.

We usually have a light breakfast on our own, swim all day, have lunch at the pool or take the short walk to Bistro Molokini. Might do 2-3 rounds of frozen non-alcoholic drinks poolside as well. So, probably $120/day in food -20% = what is basically a $25/day discount at our spend level. Dinner may or may not be on property. The 20% off at the spa is nice, we usually end up just doing the terme' baths, which I think is a good value in and of itself. I honestly don't know if the cabana rentals qualify for the 20% discount--you should want to verify that with membership--we're up at 5AM and getting nice seats in the shade at our choice of pools has never been an issue.

It has lead to some great upgrades too--I think being a diamond in conjunction with a GW Elite member has certainly played into the quality of room we've received. On a previous year's service failure, one recent year the membership office got us upgraded into a 1,950 square foot Deluxe Suite ($1800/night) for 7 nights from our $369-30%=$258/night rate. Now that our 'issue' has been more than compensated for, it's soooooooo hard going back to a regular room , even if it is an upgrade from a terrace or garden view to a Deluxe Ocean View (that's generally what we expect).

This year, we're going on HH points. So we're actually at a net-negative for the annual dues, as I doubt we'll drop $1125 in food and incidentals to net $225 off of our bill. But we're saving the (BS) resort fee!

My biggest gripe about membership is that there are no discounts applied to parking nor the resort fee. That is VERY aggravating.

There are lots of mixed feeling about the place here on FT...We love it, and not ashamed to say it, especially now that we have 2 little ones. Our sunk-cost of $1500 for our membership has been more than recouped. If you like the place and think you'll continue to go often (like we do), then consider it. I did try to lay out some positives and negatives here...So it is a lengthy post. Brevity is not one of my best traits.

If you want a referral...Hit me up! You'll probably get at least a $500 credit, as will I (full disclosure).

Any other questions, please let me know on here or by PM.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Aug 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=BOSOGG;28746464]
Originally Posted by Baze
Dates are Dec 13-19. That is when my daughter can get away so no flexibility here.

Dec 13-19 currently showing availability at 79k/night.

TERRACE VIEW - 2 QUEEN BEDS STANDARD ROOM REWARD rate type., 474,000 points per stay

If you are not seeing this rate, make sure you are signed in as Diamond.
Wasn't there yesterday but is today. Just snagged it.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, two more questions.

It sounds like upgrades are minimal at best if at all. But maybe will get lucky being there 12/13-12/19, before the Christmas crowds.

Question 1.

If offered a cash upgrade on a points stay does the stay suddenly become a points + cash stay and the resort fee kicks in?

Question 2.

Any experience here from a lifetime Diamond?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
[QUOTE=Baze;28746960]
Originally Posted by BOSOGG

Wasn't there yesterday but is today. Just snagged it.
AWESOME!!! Glad you got it! :-)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
If you want a referral...Hit me up! You'll probably get at least a $500 credit, as will I (full disclosure).

Any other questions, please let me know on here or by PM.
Thank you! This is really great info. I need to think a bit more but I really really appreciate the info. The "lengthy" post was great. It's a lot better than a succinct "yes it's worth it" post :-)

I don't wake at 5am or even 7am, but that's another story. Tee hee
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:52 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
Thank you! This is really great info. I need to think a bit more but I really really appreciate the info. The "lengthy" post was great. It's a lot better than a succinct "yes it's worth it" post :-)

I don't wake at 5am or even 7am, but that's another story. Tee hee
No problem. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons, the value of that money up front, and whether or not it will be of value to you.

We're 5 or 6 hours ahead, depending on the time of the year. We keep our little ones as close to staying on Eastern Time as possible while we're there--makes things easier for going home and actually, we think it's more relaxed and quiet doing it our way. The kids and my wife wake up around 2-3AM (I'm more like 5AM), and the kids are ready for bed around 5PM--"lunch" is often our dinner, and if we do venture out, there are usually some good deals before 5PM at some places in Kihei and Wailea.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Aug 29, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:29 pm

I've booked terrace views as well on free weekend night certificates. Did you have to pay $$ for the upgrade or was it free during in check in by asking?

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We booked a Terrace View (aka parking lot view) on points and were upgraded to Garden View, which included a surprise ocean view, so we were happy. Even if we had not been able to see the water, we thought the garden view was great - we loved watching the people walking by, and the lovely greenery view.

But when we book on points, at the standard rates, we fully expect to *only* get the parking lot view we bargained for, so anything else is a surprise and appreciated.

We would not have complained about the Terrace View.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BenCali
I've booked terrace views as well on free weekend night certificates. Did you have to pay $$ for the upgrade or was it free during in check in by asking?
None of the above. I checked the reservation a couple of days before coming and we had been pre-upgraded. It was called Superior Garden View I believe.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:40 pm

Thanks. I will check my reservation a couple of days before and hope the upgrade is there !

None of the above. I checked the reservation a couple of days before coming and we had been pre-upgraded. It was called Superior Garden View I believe.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info. I'll also keep checking the reservation before we go.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Sorry, just joining this thread. We want to stay in July 2018. Looking for "standard" rooms, is it possible that they are all gone for the WHOLE summer as the website says? Or do they open rooms later?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
for July 2016 I started looking in July 2015... Rooms finally opened up towards the end of September. Not sure you can draw a firm conclusion from that but I was looking almost every day and finally availability for the whole month appeared (including July 4th).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by davidsc111
for July 2016 I started looking in July 2015... Rooms finally opened up towards the end of September. Not sure you can draw a firm conclusion from that but I was looking almost every day and finally availability for the whole month appeared (including July 4th).
Were you able to find "standard" rooms?

Thanks for the information, very helpful, thought I was SOL, but at least there seems to be a chance!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
Thank you, Eujeanie. Breakfast, snacks and drinks are very pricey at GW. Yes, I could shop at ABC but I WILL NOT SHOP FOR GROCERIES on vacation. So after evaluating costs and convenience, Napua may not exactly net out over all (yet close); the convenience factor is huge and makes it worthwhile for us.

I have noted the several responses emphasizing ridiculous cost. Thus, our travel agent has been asked to negotiate with management, considering our overall spend. Discounted cabana and suite upgrade at the top of the list.

I'll let you know. And, thank you.
So KatW, did you go with your family, and how was it? Did you stay in the Napua Tower, did you get a suite? Anything you would do differently next time?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by giesen5
Were you able to find "standard" rooms?

Thanks for the information, very helpful, thought I was SOL, but at least there seems to be a chance!
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.