Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:03 pm

Any update on whether they managed to finish the pools "by Christmas"? We're going in late January. We were last there in 2008, and the pools were completely torn apart and shut down. I'm going to be really disappointed if we've once again managed to book a trip during a time that the pools will be out of commission, so I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they'll get it done on time (or at least not too late). I'm not thrilled about visiting during another renovation, but if the pools are at least operational I think it'll be ok.

We have the greatest timing, apparently.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I really want to take my wife and 2 kids to the GW, but I cannot find an early spring weekend out there to use my 2 Free Wkend Night Certs on. Been trying for over a month.
Is this place really like Ft Knox trying to use those Certs? Is it worth calling the hotel direct?
Ha, checked tonight and one of my weekend dates popped open for the free night cert. Done! Booked 3 more nights on points... and we are off to Maui!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: UA1k, HH Diamond
GW Christmas Stay

Just returned home from 11 nights at GW...first trip to Maui. Didn't get an upgraded room or a renovated room even though joined their Elite membership AND I'm Hilton Diamond but had booked deluxe ocean view. Room view was spectacular and enjoyed coffee on the lanai every morning (with the $25 coffee maker I picked up at Costco on the way to the hotel...room one is way too small).

To the question about the pools, yes everything was open and operating by the time we left. When we arrived before Christmas everything was working except the grotto hot tub which opened up around the 27th or so. Place was hopping but staff always able to find us chairs by the pool...sometimes in the third row but didn't matter.

Overall while I gagged at the expense of everything, it was a wonderful experience and have already booked a return trip next Christmas but this time using my HH points.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by OzzyDad
Just returned home from 11 nights at GW...first trip to Maui. Didn't get an upgraded room or a renovated room even though joined their Elite membership AND I'm Hilton Diamond but had booked deluxe ocean view. Room view was spectacular and enjoyed coffee on the lanai every morning (with the $25 coffee maker I picked up at Costco on the way to the hotel...room one is way too small).

To the question about the pools, yes everything was open and operating by the time we left. When we arrived before Christmas everything was working except the grotto hot tub which opened up around the 27th or so. Place was hopping but staff always able to find us chairs by the pool...sometimes in the third row but didn't matter.

Overall while I gagged at the expense of everything, it was a wonderful experience and have already booked a return trip next Christmas but this time using my HH points.
OzzyDad:
Welcome to Flyertalk.Thank you for a great report. I have been enjoying this outstanding resort for the past 10 years.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Thanks for the update, I'll be there in a few weeks. Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

Any thoughts on the points + cash rate for the GW? 38k points + $200.
Seems you are getting upward of $400 in value for the 38k points, high season.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:31 pm

Great to hear, thank you for the update!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
trip report

Just completed a diamond reward stay here.

At check-in, they attempted to charge a resort fee, but I mentioned to them since I was on a reward stay, the resort fee sould be waived. They made a quick call, and confirmend that no resort fee would be charged.

We recieved a $40 and $35 off dining coupons. We also recieved a 20 percent off coupon for the spa, but never used.

We initially were given 2 queen beds in the chapel wing, 2nd floor. I requested a King, and they told me they would call me if one became available. Our first room was eally bad and needs a major update, I would have been mad if I was payin for the room. The bed frame was crooked/broke, and the mattress pads were so warn down, it was impossible to sleep in the same bed with my husband. The next morning I called to complain about the bed, and the quickly changed out the mattress pads for us. That afternoon, we recieved our upgrade to a king room located in the lagoon wing. MUCH MUCH better room, night and day difference. Freshly updated, and it still smelt newish. We had a first floor room, which we really liked because of he ease access to the outside amenities.

We really loved eating at Humuhumunukohukoapua'as! Best meal of our trip! The service at all bars was very very quick, and the cayenne/brown sugar pretzels were very addicting.

Great hotel, grounds, and staff. We will likely return again in the future, as long as we can get an updated room again!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by JetSet05
Just completed a diamond reward stay here.

At check-in, they attempted to charge a resort fee, but I mentioned to them since I was on a reward stay, the resort fee sould be waived. They made a quick call, and confirmend that no resort fee would be charged.
That is really funny - first time I stayed there they made a point of telling me the resort fee was waived because it is an awards stay.

This is Hilton policy - maybe someone's first day on the job.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:04 am

Any thoughts on the points + cash rate for the GW? 38k points + $200.
Seems you are getting upward of $400 in value for the 38k points, high season.
Depends on what it would be if you booked entirely on points - especially if it a five night stay or longer since the fifth night is free.

Do you earn points on incidentals if you use points + cash mean ? With a points stay you do and it is easy to rack up incidentals.

Also will you be paying the resort fee with points + cash?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Depends on what it would be if you booked entirely on points - especially if it a five night stay or longer since the fifth night is free.

Do you earn points on incidentals if you use points + cash mean ? With a points stay you do and it is easy to rack up incidentals.

Also will you be paying the resort fee with points + cash?
95000 points for free night, high season. $600 rooms. Points and cash seem to be a good value.

Good question on the resort fee...I know there isn't one on a points stay....but what about points and cash? Some sort of prorated fee?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:32 pm

95000 points for free night, high season. $600 rooms. Points and cash seem to be a good value.

Good question on the resort fee...I know there isn't one on a points stay....but what about points and cash? Some sort of prorated fee?
Resort fee or not cash + points is an excellent value vs. $600/night cash.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Any updates on the Napua Tower remodel schedule? Was originally Dec/Jan, hadn't started last I heard. Don't want it in progress next month when we are there.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:07 pm

I just had a good stroke of luck regarding my March booking at the GW. Had six nights booked total, 2 on free weekend certs, 2 on pts, and 2 on pts and cash. Going rate was 95k pts/night for pts stay. Well I looked today and the standard rooms are now reduced to 80k pts/night! I was like, nice! Cancelled everything but the cert nights, and rebooked at the lower rate and got another night added in on points. Can't beat that. If y'all have bookings here you might want to recheck redemption rates.

Is this something that happens often? Also, if you were booked in at the higher pts rate, and the pts rate reduces between booking and your stay, would Hilton give you back the difference in points OR would they just let you burn the pts at the higher bogus rate?

At any rate, I was more than pleased by this!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:26 am

I just had a good stroke of luck regarding my March booking at the GW. Had six nights booked total, 2 on free weekend certs, 2 on pts, and 2 on pts and cash. Going rate was 95k pts/night for pts stay. Well I looked today and the standard rooms are now reduced to 80k pts/night! I was like, nice! Cancelled everything but the cert nights, and rebooked at the lower rate and got another night added in on points. Can't beat that. If y'all have bookings here you might want to recheck redemption rates.

Is this something that happens often? Also, if you were booked in at the higher pts rate, and the pts rate reduces between booking and your stay, would Hilton give you back the difference in points OR would they just let you burn the pts at the higher bogus rate?

At any rate, I was more than pleased by this!
I have to cancel and rebook if the cash price drops, I wouldn't expect them to automatically credit my points if the points redemption drops. Look at it as a good thing, GW may not have dropped the rate if it meant crediting back millions of points for rooms already booked.

The fact we can rebook at a lower rate (just did it yesterday in fact) is a perk for those in the know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.