Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Recreation
This resort doesn't appear on the Hilton website and, as others have said, you can't use points to book free stays.
<<<I've been wondering why Hilton has no presence in Maui.>>>

Perhaps you failed to read the post I was originally responding to. Did the poster enquire about points to book free stays? No. See above. The property does indeed appear on the hilton website.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smmrfld

Perhaps you failed to read the post I was originally responding to. Did the poster enquire about points to book free stays? No. See above. The property does indeed appear on the hilton website.

Since you seem to have the need to go on about this
the following was cut and pasted from the HH website/ES hotel info:

Our Hotel

Embassy Vacation Resort Maui-Kaanapali Beach is a vacation ownership property with spacious condominium-style accommodations. Please allow us to clarify that this is *not* an Embassy Suites Hotel (and accordingly we *do not offer* complimentary breakfast, Manager's reception, or Hilton HHonors® points). The spectacular setting of the resort provides ideal access to year-round activities, shopping, dining, and outdoor adventures overlooking the blue Pacific on Kaanapali Beach.

mike
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:05 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Not only did I read the post; I created it.

If you go to the Hilton website and type in "Maui, HI" or even "Kaanapali, HI" the only hotel that comes up is Grand Wailea. Prior to Hilton purchasing it, NOTHING came up. I know because I tried. I was an HHH member and wanted to stay at a Hilton property. In fact, I ended up staying at the Wailea Renaissance because Hilton's website indicated that no Hilton hotels existed on Maui.

So, to answer the question: No, the ES doesn't count.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:51 am
Suspended

Not only did I read the post; I created it.

If you go to the Hilton website and type in "Maui, HI" or even "Kaanapali, HI" the only hotel that comes up is Grand Wailea. Prior to Hilton purchasing it, NOTHING came up. I know because I tried. I was an HHH member and wanted to stay at a Hilton property. In fact, I ended up staying at the Wailea Renaissance because Hilton's website indicated that no Hilton hotels existed on Maui.

So, to answer the question: No, the ES doesn't count.
I hate to prolong this discussion but I must state the smmrfld is technically correct ( as are you also )
Its one of the anomolies of the HH.com website if you insert " Hawaii' is the state box but leaving the town/city box blank if brings all the HH properties located in Hawaii which does include the two ES in Maui and Kauai.
The disclosure regarding non-participation in HH program is a relatively new addition however.

mike
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
I hate to prolong this discussion but I must state the smmrfld is technically correct ( as are you also )
Its one of the anomolies of the HH.com website if you insert " Hawaii' is the state box but leaving the town/city box blank if brings all the HH properties located in Hawaii which does include the two ES in Maui and Kauai.
The disclosure regarding non-participation in HH program is a relatively new addition however.

mike
You know, it does come up at the HH website, but does NOT come up at the Hilton.com website, even with just "HI" in the state field. Someone ought to tell Hilton because they are losing business because of their faulty search engine. I ended up at the Wailea Renaissance for 10 days in '04 because I couldn't find a Hilton property on Maui. I stay at ES anytime they are available because I like the extra space and would have definitely selected that over the Marriott.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:16 pm

You know, it does come up at the HH website, but does NOT come up at the Hilton.com website, even with just "HI" in the state field. Someone ought to tell Hilton because they are losing business because of their faulty search engine. I ended up at the Wailea Renaissance for 10 days in '04 because I couldn't find a Hilton property on Maui. I stay at ES anytime they are available because I like the extra space and would have definitely selected that over the Marriott.
Ironic being that they supposedly don't participate in the HHonors program. Shouldn't it be the other way around (if anything)?!!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Maybe off-topic, but I'll ask anyway. Is the Embassy Vacation Resort (or whatever it's called) brand related to HGVC? How many of them are there?

I don't understand why a hotel invest in being a franchise of a major hotel brand, but then go to great lengths to alienate the customer base most likely to make a stay decision based on the strengths of the brand.

I'm with Recreation on this one: if the hotel isn't playing ball with the rest of the chain, then it doesn't count in my book. Maui was the first stop on our honeymoon, and we were at the time loyal to HHonors above all other chains. We began the process of booking at the Embassy until we learned we wouldn't get any benefits by staying there. So instead, we spent the week at the Renaissance Wailea - and it actually ended up being a turning point in my hotel stay pattern. We loved that property, and ever since then I've done many more Marriott than Hilton stays. It's not that I held a grudge or anything - it's just that after a nice stay there, I began to try other Renaissances on business stays, then started hitting some good Marriott promos, and off it went from there...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Maybe off-topic, but I'll ask anyway. Is the Embassy Vacation Resort (or whatever it's called) brand related to HGVC? How many of them are there?
No. It is not part of HGVC at all.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I agree with pinniped. Either the ES Vacation Resort should let you earn and burn points there, or else they should change them (all 4 of them) to HGVC, where you can earn and burn.

They are causing customer confusion with this "sub-brand."
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:52 pm
Suspended

While I agree that the situation creates ome confusion at least there is a now a disclaimer posted quite clearly on the HH.com website in reference to those two Hawaii properties and I believe also one in Florida.
The disclaimer was not there when I booked my stay there a few years ago and mostly likely was the reason why Adam Burke deposited some points in my account, but I did not get stay or night credit.

The above however is not unique to Hilton, a visit to the SPG board will show that there are also a few Starwood properties of similar ilk.

mike
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by loomis
I agree with pinniped. Either the ES Vacation Resort should let you earn and burn points there, or else they should change them (all 4 of them) to HGVC, where you can earn and burn.

As it's an owner timeshare...it's not that easy to change it. They would need to go through owner approval...and likely that would raise ownership dues.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
Originally Posted by loomis

Who are "they?" Hilton does not own the Maui ES Vacation Resort. This is owned by Sunterra, and all those that have purchased the time-share units. Why would Sunterra want to allow non-owners to come into their resort for free? They have 1000s of owners at their other time-share resorts dying to get to trade into the ES Maui and Sunterra's first priority is to take care of their owners not HHonors members.

I certainly agree that Hilton flubbed this one up. I think they knew they needed a Maui presence and so made ill-advised agreements that severely limited the integration of HHonors with the ES Vacation Resort brand.

Also rumor was that Hilton was trying to buy the Maui ES outright, but failed.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by lintemut
Who are "they?" Hilton does not own the Maui ES Vacation Resort. This is owned by Sunterra, and all those that have purchased the time-share units. Why would Sunterra want to allow non-owners to come into their resort for free? They have 1000s of owners at their other time-share resorts dying to get to trade into the ES Maui and Sunterra's first priority is to take care of their owners not HHonors members.

I certainly agree that Hilton flubbed this one up. I think they knew they needed a Maui presence and so made ill-advised agreements that severely limited the integration of HHonors with the ES Vacation Resort brand.

Also rumor was that Hilton was trying to buy the Maui ES outright, but failed.
I think the "they" being referrd to is Hilton. Regardless of ownership...Hilton allowed the ES brand-name to be used which ultimately causes confusion if they don't fit into the Hilton/HHonors system at all. I do agree however...that at this point...it's out of their hands...since it's a timeshare...and the owners are in control.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Let's hope there are some Grand Wailea awards available at all. We had a Hyatt award to stay there and by the time the stay arrived, it was no longer a Hyatt. Ended up at Kauai Hyatt instead. Then there was some kind of membership Grand Wailea offered but all too rich for our blood. Award stay - here we come!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Karen2
Let's hope there are some Grand Wailea awards available at all. We had a Hyatt award to stay there and by the time the stay arrived, it was no longer a Hyatt. Ended up at Kauai Hyatt instead. Then there was some kind of membership Grand Wailea offered but all too rich for our blood. Award stay - here we come!
Being that Hilton just acquired the Wailea...it won't be switching anytime soon. Especially being it's one of their initial hotels for their new brand/collection - the Astoria Collection. I agree with you regarding the Wailea membership, way too expensive!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.