Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2002, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Good for you Latony using your points for the honeymoon. That's what there for and I happenned to do the same on my honeymoon (Cannes and Rome - Hilton, Venice and Florence - Starwood).

Granted my recollections of the hotels are now 4 years old, but generally, I found the Cannes property to be situated in a great location, but the decor tired (very 70s looking even though the hotel dates to the early 90s) and the service incredibly haughty; I remember getting yelled at in English by a hotel rep for having food in the lobby while we were guests; my reponses in French only gave a quivering lip, but no apology. Bottom line - though, this is the only major US chain hotel in Cannes, so if you have your heart on it, be prepared.
Rome is out of the way on a hillside on the outskirts of the center city; the hotel's shuttle into the city is reliable, but will add one more wrinkle into your city touring plans. Service was very good and the rooftop hotel, La Pergola has one Michelin star; we ended our honeymoon there and you could do far worse as well. It, like Paris, is very much a business traveler hotel, and not a vacation hotel.
Paris has a better location than Rome, but also is geared more to the business traveler than the vacation traveler. I have found it to be crowded at times, but efficient, and well situated near the RER and metro.
We stayed at the Grand in Florence (directly across the Piazza from the Excelsior) which was fabulous - they even had prosecco waiting in the room for us, wishing us a happy honeymoon - furnishings were beautiful, staff efficient, everything you would want; and just a plug, the Gritti Palace in Venice is definitley worth the points, especially on a honeymoon. My wife will testify there; everything there was perfect for our stay.

Enjoy the honeymoon.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JAP:

I may have asked you this b4 , but when are you in the Hilton Malta ? I will be arriving with my wife on 6th August in Malta & staying at the Hilton for 12 nights - we then take a Med cruise for a week to finish our honeymoon
</font>
JAP,

Good to hear from you! I followed your advices about the Hilton Malta! If you remember, I was planning to spend all 24 days at the Hilton Rhodes, but you suggested differently, and we'll give it a try, for 7 nights. Unfortunately, we'll be there from July 15th to 22nd, and back to work by the time you'll be there ;(

Based on some web sites I found about the Hilton Malta, I think our honeymoon will be great!

Congrats to you and your wife to be!
Old Apr 14, 2002, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Hey Tony, I would agree that a couple days in Cannes would be enough but if you rent a car you are in a great location from which to explore Nice, Monte Carlo, etc. North to places like St. Paul de Vence (and dinner at the wonderful Colum d'Or). And west - the drive between Cannes and St. Tropez is breathtaking (yes, much more spectacular than the S. California coast!). You will want to stop the car every few minutes to take pictures and/or just gawk. You can also explore Marseilles and parts of Provence. DO NOT think you will be bored even for a moment. I'd use all six days there and would not regret it. You would get tremendous value for your points. But be careful of incidental expenses and parking. This hotel is VERY expensive.

P.S., don't be shamed into not using points. If you've got the points to make this the trip of a lifetime, go for it. The Noga Hilton could cost you hundreds a night!

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited 04-14-2002).]
Old Apr 14, 2002, 6:33 pm
Original Member

latony--I forgot to mention. Regarding Paris, I have a couple of suggestions. First, make a reservation to have lunch or dinner at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower--it'll be one of the definite highlights of the trip. Second, we used a very good car service to get to and from the hotel from CDG. I would suggest looking into it. Actually, FTer Blair Van Horn was extremely kind and set up both the Jules Verne lunch and the car service for us.

Djlawman
Old Apr 14, 2002, 8:28 pm
Original Member

I would really advise a pass on the Cavilieri Hilton in Rome. The location is defintiely not the most convenient. The hotel itself is mediocre at best. I stayed there about 3 years ago (a Diamond), no upgrade and nothing in the way of recognition. Rather old and run down hotel so unless there's been a major reno lately, not a good idea for your honeymoon. Pick one of the Starwoods in Rome - much better.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
All the help has been absolutely wonderful!! I just booked and finalized the honeymoon.
We are flying into Paris and staying at the Hilton Paris, 4 nights 130K points. At first they said there weren't any reward nights available, I then reminded him that I was Diamond. I got a Executive room with a panoramic view with notations in the reservation that it is a honeymoon. I'm hoping we get an upgrade to a suite... (but if not, can't complain when it's on points).
We are then staying 2 nights in Venice, 3 nights florence, 3 nights in Rome. All in Starwood hotels. Probably the Danieli, Excelsior, Excelsior respectively.

Thanks again for all your help. The comments on the Cavalieri and Cannes really helped make the decision to skip the French Riviera and avoid the Cavalieri.

Cheers!!
Old Apr 15, 2002, 3:33 am

Not cheap, frugal.
Old Apr 15, 2002, 10:21 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
My definition of 'cheap/miserly' is being non-generous with one's friends & accepting a large amount of trouble or inconvenience to save a small amount of $$. One needs not lavish money on corporations & commercial enterprises to avoid being a miser.
I wish the FT honeymooners bon voyage & bon appetit when dining on chateaubriand, rack of lamb & lobster with the money they aren't spending for hotels & airfare.

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old May 8, 2002, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic
Hilton recommendations in South Germany & Paris

Hi,

I was wondering if any fellow flyertalkers can recommend any Hiltons in Southern Germany and the border area with Switzerland or in Paris, as I will be visiting those places in June. Any ideas to lower the nightly tarriff would also be greatly recommended!

Thanks,
Aussiemate
Old May 9, 2002, 4:23 am
Suspended

Do a search for the Strasbourg Hilton you will find a number of stayers (including my self) who has enjoyed that property and the very nice city/area. The Hilton Lyon is lso nice but that in more in the "middle" of the country.
Mike
Old May 9, 2002, 6:02 am

Do you consider Munich to be in Southern Germany? The Munich Park Hilton has received good reviews.
Old May 9, 2002, 6:49 am
Original Member

I really enjoyed the Geneva Hilton. Nice upgrade and perks for Gold/Plat HHonors. When it rained they provided us with two new umbrellas to use.
Old May 9, 2002, 11:03 am

I would throw in a nod to the Hilton Munich City. It has an S-Bahn station directly underneath the hotel. This makes for easy access to Marienplatz (2 Stops) as well as the airport.
Old May 9, 2002, 12:50 pm

Hilton Basel
Aeschengraben 31
Basel, 4002
Switzerland

From Hilton's website:
Enjoying a central location and within walking distance of the City Airport Terminal / Railway Station, the 214-room Hilton Basel offers a wide selection of business and leisure facilities to discerning guests....

Hilton Basel - Hilton Weekend 2002
Treat yourself to a Hilton Weekend and save up to 30% off our published rack rates! We'll help put back a little of what life takes out.
Jan. 01, 2002 - Dec. 31, 2002 CHF From 256 per night

That's somewhat expensive - I paid at the Hilton Strassbourg about $100/night on a weekend, and about $110/night at Hilton Lyon.
Old May 9, 2002, 1:01 pm

In Paris 3 choices:

CDG
La Defense (new)
Suffren (near Eiffel Tower)

So quite clearly the choice is between staying near the airport, in La Defense (not a good idea unless you're working there) and in central Paris (difficult choice.... not).

Go for the one near the Eiffel tower, good location, upgrade is good and you can explore Paris without any travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.