Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Old Apr 11, 2002, 11:27 pm

If anyone's spouse thinks travelling well on points is "cheaping out" maybe they shouldn't have married into the FT family!
Old Apr 11, 2002, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SAN man:
married into the FT family! </font>
Ahh, shucks it feels good that you guys think of me as family

Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SAN man:
If anyone's spouse thinks travelling well on points is "cheaping out" maybe they shouldn't have married into the FT family! </font>
Amen to that!

latony sounds like my kind of guy....Too bad he's already taken!

Kathy

Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IM4Travel:
You don't get it....you could be staying anywhere from the Motel 6 up to being a guest at The White House....it's not WHERE you stay...it's the fact that you "used points" ...ahhh forget it....have a good time. </font>
Along those lines of thought, I guess people better be paying rack rate for all their hotel stays or risk being "cheap"

Congrats on the impending wedding latony!
Old Apr 12, 2002, 6:53 am

I would not stay at the hilton's in Rome. They are not in the heart of Rome, on the outskirts. You get ripped off by cab drivers alot. As for the points, I have given my 2 future brother in laws both of there honeymoons with miles and points.One will be going to Tahoe, the other to St Lucia. I will be using my points to go to Sydney on my honeymoon. I would rather spend the money on my future wife than giving to a hotel when I have over 1 millon points and 1 millon miles.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 7:15 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
Amen to that!

latony sounds like my kind of guy....Too bad he's already taken!

Kathy

</font>
Kathy:

They are not all taken

Let's see - he wants to use HIS points for THIER honeymoon. Heck, I'd marry him.

Old Apr 12, 2002, 7:35 am

Just came back from Italy where we used points to get there in BE on DL but not for hotels--I did not have enough points.

In Rome we stayed at the Hotel Villa S. Pio or Pia in the Aventine neighborhood. It is an upscale residential neighborhood which is nice. Large, upscale rooms--ours had a huge balcony where we took breakfast in our room (no charge). Check out Fodors.com and charmingitaly.com I believe. This is a 3-star hotel and does not compete with the Hassler, etc. but was perfect for our honeymoon. Be sure to tell that you are on your honeymoon and they'll give you the best room.

I echo the sentiment that the cab drivers are prone towards ripping you off, but I thought the Cavalieri had a shuttle.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 10:02 am

I'm not sure what planet IM4Travel is on (and certainly in the wrong community). I know countless people who have used frequent flier miles, hotel points, or even time-shares for their honeymoon. Why would anyone care how you procured your flights/accommodations...a first class flight and luxury hotel room are still the same regardless if they are paid for or as a result of miles/points.

latony - I am in the exact same situation as you...HHonors Diamond, SW Plat, and getting married in Oct. Our Hawaiian honeymoon is being funded through miles/points, with the money we save going towards splurging on meals and activities. My fiance is THRILLED that we don't have to pay for the flights or hotel rooms (the wedding is expensive enough as it is), just as she has been thrilled with the last couple of European vacations we have taken on miles/points.

As IM4Travel says "I guess there's all sorts in the world", but in this case, I think IM4Travel's "sort" is in the minority.

I lmost forgot the original reason I was going to post here....There is now a Hilton in Sorrento, Italy. (a town on the coast a couple of hours south of Rome) If you do a search on these boards, you will find some discussion threads on it. I didn't stay at the Hilton when I was in Sorrento (as it wasn't a Hilton at the time), but the town of Sorrento is a great home base for visits to the Amalfi Coast, Naples, Pompeii, and the island of Capri. If you want to use HHonors points in Italy, this may be a good alternative.

[This message has been edited by edg1 (edited 04-12-2002).]
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:37 pm

Need advise-Budapest and Vienna Hiltons

We are going to Budapest and Vienna in June. Which Hilton should we try to stay at in Vienna or Budapest. We are a family of 4, so room size is important. Which are the nicest? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2002, 2:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I really despise the Hilton on Castle Hill in Budapest. It is an outrage! The Hilton there has desecrated a historic spot. I love Budapest, enjoy your trip!

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000931.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000502.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/001444.html

and regarding Vienna, see:
Which Hilton?
Danube Hilton
City Hilton
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000437.html
Old Apr 12, 2002, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Well location-wise the Hilton Budapest is so much better than Budapest West and they have done a nice job integrating it with the surroundings and the service there is fabulous.

For Vienna, I would stay at the Plaza on the Ringstrasse, location is Ok; furnishings are very nice.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 9:29 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by latony:
I am planning my honeymoon for the first 2 weeks in October and wanted some advice on which hotels to use my points. I'm a diamond member and have points in my Amex MR that I can transfer into Delta to Hilton. Probably only 150K or so. I understand that I won't be able to take advantage of the GLOP award because I'm only looking to stay 2-3 nights per city. Do you think I can get the 6 nights but at 2 different consecutive hotels?
Has anyone stayed int the Noga Hilton in Cannes? Is the Hilton Paris "honeymoon material" meaning to say romantic and luxurious? I've heard great things about the Cavalieri in Rome but the downside is that it's a bit far from everything. I have points in Starwood as well, so I'll be using points for Excelsior stays in Florence or maybe Paris if the input from the Hilton is bad.
</font>
Latony,

I'm like you, I'll be using my points for stays in Greece and Malta for my honeymoon this comming July. I'm even worst, I'm using my miles for both tickets on First Class!!

Rhodes in Greece and Malta Island have both Hilton Resort facility. The nice thing about it, is that these properties are Executive level, which will cost you only 100K per 6 nights stay, and I've been able to put two 6 nights stays one after the other, at both properties.

I roughly calculated a value of about 17K for the honeymoon trip so far, and just like you, after 20K on the wedding and a house being built as we speak, I couldn't afford to throw 17K away. However, it won't be "cheap" on the meals!!

Congrats and good luck!
Old Apr 14, 2002, 6:00 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Super Larry,

Congratulations on your impending nuptuals !!

I may have asked you this b4 , but when are you in the Hilton Malta ? I will be arriving with my wife on 6th August in Malta & staying at the Hilton for 12 nights - we then take a Med cruise for a week to finish our honeymoon
We both love the Hilton Malta, having stayed there last year, and we'll be EARNING points for the stay - I've spent all my miles on a trip to the World Cup in Japan in June.

Hope you have a great time ! (We certainly will !)
Old Apr 14, 2002, 7:08 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
latony, your points and miles have value, you are using them to pay for your honeymoon. Good for you. If someone suggested that I spend more for the same services i.e. more cash than the miles are worth, I would be concerned about the values of that person. Have a great time, you are doing the right thing. If however you find a deal on something which is so inexpensive paying cash, then use cash instead of miles or points.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 8:08 am

Also, I don't think anyone has ever had success breaking up a GLONP award between 2 hotels, but you can ask. I think the GLONP is 150,000 HH points and GLON is 100,000 points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.