Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Penang {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Penang {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by mster
Heard KL DT breakfast had gone downhill significantly quality wise in the last year or so. Is the quality of the breakfast actually worse at the Penang DT or is it just that there are fewer breakfast options?
Both.

Another interesting item is they don't provide napkins poolside or with the canapés.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
This location just seems too far from George Town to make it worthwhile to stay at as a tourist. George Town is the big draw for Penang (food, history, culture) and even as someone who has been to Penang before I personally wouldn't trek to this location just because it was a Hilton property.

The pictures do look nice - but location, location, location.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:42 pm

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:34 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Are the rooms nicer? Do they have less wear and tear and reduced moisture / smoke smell issues compared to the KL DT? I know this is a "new to Hilton" property that was renovated for its reflagging as Hilton so I wouldn't expect it to be totally new, but I'm curious about the both the quality of the renovation and the upkeep since it was completed.
I would say the rooms are nicer but housekeeping is pretty sloppy. Non smoking hotel in all areas except designated outside area. On arrival I had only two bath towels and no other hand/face/floor towels, 1/2 bottle of shampoo. No change of sheet during 4 nights, toilet not cleaned a couple days, maybe 25% of floor swept and bathroom floor not cleaned at all. Lots of smiles but no real effort.Has potential to be a nice resort.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
We were there last week, and the hotel was basically fully booked the whole time. The hotel was good, but struggled a bit with being that full

Location wise, it's not quite ideal. Traffic in Penang is bad, so you won't be popping into George Town, it's a 45+ minute trip almost whenever you'll want to go. There is a bus stop outside for direct buses to the centre of George Town and to the Airport should you want. It's also not on Batu Feringghi beach either, and you can't walk there as the road's too fast + narrow round the headland. It isn't far though, so could be a bit of a struggle to get a taxi to want to take you for the short hop round, buses will get you there quickly but sporadically...

As a Diamond, got a lovely upgrade to a large 1 bedroom suite with small kitchenette, and free alcoholic drinks + snacks every night 6-7pm in the lobby. Breakfast was chaotic 8-10am, with the hotel full, but decent range of stuff from many different bits of the world. We had some very nice food in the restaurant and from room service, though it's quite a bit more expensive than places down in Batu Feringghi (as you'd expect).

There's a small public beach, but the water smelt a bit funny so we didn't really go in much. Pool is a fair size, but was always crowded, not sure what it's like when the hotel's not rammed full. Small gym overlooking the sea, which was never busy.

I wouldn't recommend a stay here for George Town, but it's fine for the occasional visit. I wouldn't recommend a stay here for Batu Feringghi, but it's fine for heading once there most days. Compared to the Hard Rock Hotel on Batu Feringghi, which we also stayed in, we got a nicer room in a more calm environment for a lot less, but not without compromise. As a second or third hotel on a Penang stay it's good though!
shocky likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:52 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Has anything improved at this property since opening? I'm considering a stay but am wary of the significant maintenance / cleanliness / restaurant issues mentioned here and on tripadvisor.
had a stay there in Nov 18
1.maintenance-didn’t notice any major wear and tear
2.cleanliness-didn’t notice any major issue as well
3.restaurant-it tends to be busy during breakfast hours and staff can be slow in clearing plates and tea requests as they seemed to be understaffed.food taste it’s ok but not great.a bit gimmicky with their charcoal fired toaster(very classic haha)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Do you at least get complimentary breakfast here as gold?

Read some conflicting reviews (they were earlier reviews though) on TripAdvisor claiming that this is not the case though I haven’t come across any doubletrees that don’t offer breakfast to golds.

For evening happy hour, assume that would be for diamonds only?

Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:45 am

Yes, today I got free breakfast as Gold member (no evening happy hours).
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by Mateuszz
Yes, today I got free breakfast as Gold member (no evening happy hours).
Are you saying that the evening happy hours are not offered any longer or only offered for diamonds?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:47 pm

Just ended my 2-night stay last weekend. Penang doesn’t seem to be that affected by the virus, so occupancy was still pretty good during my stay.

Diamond status was fully recognized, with the following benefits:

- Evening cocktail at the lobby lounge / bar from 6 to 7pm. Drink choices are quite limited, but they offer a tea set
- Breakfast for 2 at the ground floor restaurant. Food choices are also quite limited, with egg and noodle stations. Penang is all about street food, so you are better off heading into Georgetown for breakfast

My personal thoughts on a few things:
- Room: We were given an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite with sea view, but the room feels dated.
- Parking: They charge me 2 MYR for self-parking, which I felt was fair but they might as well give Gold/Diamond members free parking. There were “reserved” lots for Diamond members but they were always taken
- Room Service: This hotel charges a 5 MYR fee for ANY request, including ice, plates and cutlery.
- Location: The “resort” is a 30 minute drive from Georgetown, so it’s best to rent a car for the trip. The car really served us well since we could drive to more inaccessible street food stores outside of Georgetown. Parking across the island is aplenty and usually free.

If not for the Aspire credit, I will probably not choose to stay this hotel in Penang. Hyatt and Marriott have more centrally-located properties. If you’re going for the beach vibe, then the Holiday Inn or Shangri-la will be better choices.
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Are you saying that the evening happy hours are not offered any longer or only offered for diamonds?
Evening happy hour only for diamond
gold member get afternoon tea set (few types of pastries with choice of coffee or tea)
Old May 7, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We have just returned from a 5 night stay here .
We booked three rooms : A One Bedroom Suite , a Standard Twin and an accessible room for the in laws . The latter room was really important as Mum in law is very disabled , 86 and requires a wheelchair. I contacted the hotel a few months ago to explain the situation and confirm the accessible room , which they did .

On arrival we encountered a few issues :
The suite was not ready at check in time of 3pm and remained so until 1650. At this point we were given a non sea facing suite . This was remedied the following day when we had to move to our originally booked room type .
More importantly however the accessible room was no longer Available . Different members of staff gave different reasons for this . We showed them various emails confirming the room with the hotel . They were very apologetic and said they would try and sort something out . There was little we could do at this stage , so we put up with a standard double which was not suitable while waiting for the hotel manager to contact us . This happened quickly and again lots of apologies . The in-laws were moved the next day to an accessible room .
These things happen , and the apologies seemed genuinely meant . It would have been nice if we had been offered a complimentary drink or meal as it was all a hassle but none was forth coming .

The suite was clean and comfortable . The living room was sparse with a sofa , small table and fridge with a lot of unused space . The bathroom was good with an excellent walk in shower and tub . Balcony was nice to sit on . Oversized toiletries .

The staff were all delightful , welcoming and wonderful. Management were ever present and at breakfast the GM and his team mucked in as it was particularly busy .

Golds get a free drink and some little cakes in the afternoon.

The pool area was busy but pleasant . It was hard to get a drink poolside .

Beach over the bridge was pleasant for a walk and there is a bar shack where you can get a drink . When the tide is in it’s not really accessible .

Car parking is 3 RM per day . The porters are really helpful and were great with mum in law .

It’s only 15 minutes from Georgetown but you really do need a car .

I would stay again .

Last edited by simonsmith; May 7, 2022 at 2:57 am
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I would say the rooms are nicer but housekeeping is pretty sloppy. Non smoking hotel in all areas except designated outside area. On arrival I had only two bath towels and no other hand/face/floor towels, 1/2 bottle of shampoo. No change of sheet during 4 nights, toilet not cleaned a couple days, maybe 25% of floor swept and bathroom floor not cleaned at all. Lots of smiles but no real effort.Has potential to be a nice resort.
had a stay a few days ago, albeit just one night but same experience with the towels ... only 2 bath towels provided ! No hand towel, floor mat etc. Suspect soap / shampoo bottles are refilled as well, since one of the bottles I squeezed had water at the top.

OCLI a day before to a Suite as Diamond but would have traded that for a pristine room. For a 4/5* hotel housekeeping was really lacking where you even had dirt on your feet between the bed and bathroom Didn't try walking around elsewhere without footwear.

Parking is now RM3/entry and signage is really poor on how to reach the lobby. Missed cocktail hour but Breakfast is lackluster compared to DT KL, more like a HGI offering with egg station.

Overall if in the area, DT is asking similar prices as Shangri-La which even with Diamond perks (1 hour cocktail + suite) is no incentive to be here.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just had a one night stay here. Was upgraded to a one bedroom suite from a base king room. Obviously it has been refurbished over the years but you can tell it is an older building, and it has the musty damp/AC smell. IMO it will need refurbishing and bringing up to the modern DoubleTree standard found in other parts of Malaysia soon.

Breakfast was nothing exceptional but had a decent enough selection - they passed the cheese roti test. Evening Diamond reception (6-7pm) still in operation, but nothing to write home about unless you like room temperature deep fried snacks. Seemed to be choice of draft beer and wine - unsure if the range extended beyond that given it was advertised as "evening cocktails".

When the hotel says yes to everything in the Sysco catalogue:

Last edited by Schwann; Nov 17, 2023 at 9:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.