Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Bournemouth {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
It's never been hilton owned although Hilton managed it on behalf of the owners and builders - That Group. It's possible that the management has now transferred to a management company although I've had a quick look at the most of the big ones and none mention it.

http://news.hilton.com/index.cfm/new...rnemouth?tl=fr

Park Lane was sold to London & Regional in 2002 and is still with them today.

AFAIK Blackpool is still company owned.
Oh, ok......I read/heard that Conrad instructed his family that London , Paris and New York must remain with the Hilton original family forever......obviously that never happened or I was misinformed.
That said, Blackpool?......one of the worst in the uk in my opinion.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wizla
Oh, ok......I read/heard that Conrad instructed his family that London , Paris and New York must remain with the Hilton original family forever......obviously that never happened or I was misinformed.
He probably said a lot of things, like no sh!t hotels allowed... but who gives a ... its Blackstone now .
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:37 pm

I've no idea sorry. Blackpool is slowly being refurbed though and parts of it look much better than it did but that's for another thread I suppose.

Would like to try Bournemouth at some point but it's not the easiest to get to from up here in Scotland.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
I've no idea sorry. Blackpool is slowly being refurbed though and parts of it look much better than it did but that's for another thread I suppose.

Would like to try Bournemouth at some point but it's not the easiest to get to from up here in Scotland.
Yeah fair play mate.......Bournemouth is one of my favs, not just an amazing hotel the town and beach is up there with the best in the uk ! It's a great place to spend a few days.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:14 am

Deleted ( duplicate )

Last edited by wizla; Sep 21, 2017 at 9:17 am Reason: Deleted ( duplicate )
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Here tonight, booked prepay rate in sale a few days before the stay (base room) and upgraded on day of stay to Exec floor room. ^

Decided to finally try using the app for room key instead of traditional check in and then later forgot I had asked for the digital key....so after a fairly long day, rocked up to check-in desk and they humoured me but did mention digital key so then twigged...Ah! Sorry! Started to head to elevator and kindly told that my room would be closer by using the other elevator...(cue another pregnant silence)...then a big smile by both of us...originally I had done the online room selection for the exec room (room 829) and this would only have been possible by using the elevator to the right of reception....the new room was a lovely one bedroom suite on a high floor that is indeed easier to access from the other set of elevators! ^^

So, very very pleased needless to say, been a while since I last stayed and it appears a bit quiet tonight (the weather is rather poor as well) but now enjoying a celebratory G & T in the level 8 sky bar...only 2 other couples in here so relaxing as well as a nice venue!

As another FTer says: I'll report back after breakfast...

Safe travels. ^
chrism20 and wizla like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
Here tonight, booked prepay rate in sale a few days before the stay (base room) and upgraded on day of stay to Exec floor room. ^

Decided to finally try using the app for room key instead of traditional check in and then later forgot I had asked for the digital key....so after a fairly long day, rocked up to check-in desk and they humoured me but did mention digital key so then twigged...Ah! Sorry! Started to head to elevator and kindly told that my room would be closer by using the other elevator...(cue another pregnant silence)...then a big smile by both of us...originally I had done the online room selection for the exec room (room 829) and this would only have been possible by using the elevator to the right of reception....the new room was a lovely one bedroom suite on a high floor that is indeed easier to access from the other set of elevators! ^^

So, very very pleased needless to say, been a while since I last stayed and it appears a bit quiet tonight (the weather is rather poor as well) but now enjoying a celebratory G & T in the level 8 sky bar...only 2 other couples in here so relaxing as well as a nice venue!

As another FTer says: I'll report back after breakfast...

Safe travels. ^
haha, have fun mate and please do report back after breakfast!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

haha, have fun mate and please do report back after breakfast!
Oops, just realised I hadn't!

Breakfast was good, they even brought a proper cappuccino over to me (instead of the poor quality automated machine they use sometimes). ^

I do like the open kitchen and interaction with the cooks. Used the premium internet and that was removed automatically at check out.

A bit harder to park the new car in that car park as it's tight but managed to get the beast in there in the end and with some patience.

Debating cancelling my mid March stay and coming back here for a change...we'll see.

Safe travels everyone.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Oops, just realised I hadn't!

Breakfast was good, they even brought a proper cappuccino over to me (instead of the poor quality automated machine they use sometimes). ^

I do like the open kitchen and interaction with the cooks. Used the premium internet and that was removed automatically at check out.

A bit harder to park the new car in that car park as it's tight but managed to get the beast in there in the end and with some patience.

Debating cancelling my mid March stay and coming back here for a change...we'll see.

Safe travels everyone.
glad you had a good stay my friend, I like it there too......whilst the spa isn't quite as good as agas, it's still very good......will definitely return one day.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Changed my booking from the Hampton to the Hilton for tomorrow night and very pleased to see I've been upgraded to a Jnr. Suite. (my favourite room type at this hotel, even over the full suites.) Looking forward to a pleasant stay and I'll 'report back'!
wizla likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Report on recent stay:

The good/great:

-rooms here are very nice, especially the Junior and full suites.
-upgraded to junior suite before arrival and could check in online
-they didn't charge for the car park (which is not a benefit so I just got lucky, however, I do know they put my car in the system (the parking iPad) as otherwise I'd get a ticket!)
-lounge wasn't too busy (it was a Monday night in Nov. though!)
-front desk staff were excellent
-good nibbles and snacks (including 2 hot items) in the lounge
-they generally treat status members very good with nice room upgrades and quick, friendly and efficient service for check in and out, etc..

The not so good/could be improved:

-no slippers or bathrobes in the room (I asked and was told this was not normal for a suite/jnr suite, so maybe just unlucky) I like having both, slippers for obvious reasons so I don't have to go barefoot around the room and the bathrobe to have ready in the night (hanging up and ready) in case of a fire alarm.
-only still water and 1 type of beer in the lounge fridge during evening 'alcohol' hours...obviously some wine (red/white) and some spirits but no soft drinks, no sparkling water and only one type of beer...seemed a bit desperate to be honest!
-breakfast (while it has a good variety and some elements are still okay, such as the fruit, cold cuts, cereals, etc...the beans and hash browns were of a very inexpensive and tasteless variety that nearly had me leave them uneaten (which I don't consider myself picky and so would be a first))
-that useless speciality coffee machine in the restaurant. they can make a great cappuccino or other speciality coffee at the bar but won't due to management guidance which wouldn't be so bad if the coffee was acceptable from the machine, it isn't and no amount of little comments seem to filter back to management to change this.
-6 months ago and this time as well, there were two staff members in the top floor bar (level8) that weren't that busy but weren't very motivated either. I repeated my last stay experience of walking in, saying hi, finding a place to sit and waiting...after another couple came in a few minutes later and then watching them get served, I read a bit longer in my book and still wasn't served, so simply got up and left. While not a deal breaker, the bar isn't that busy and any revenue should be viewed as desired...it seems unfathomable that they aren't motivated to keep their jobs as soon the general feeling will be that it isn't worth visiting and with poor service they won't soon need 2 people working there. I've happily spent £20 to £30 on G & T's there in the past each time but both my last visits (6 month's apart now) have resulted in me shaking my head and leaving after 10-15 minutes of no service. I really hope they change the attitude. I did notice others actually getting up and going to the bar to order as the service was so poor and long between rounds. (it is meant to be table service).

A great hotel location and most of the hotel amenities are brilliant (spa, nice design, convenient parking, good staff) but these negatives actually have me wondering if I should cancel my other stays here and go back to the Ageas which isn't as good for room quality but is far better overall for lounge, bar and restaurant. If I had to choose, it would be an easy choice right now. I have mentioned a few points at different times in the past and with this stay as well but don't see the hotel making any changes so not sure if they are not getting through to management or simply are not of enough merit.

Don't mean to put people off the hotel, If I had to stay in Bournemouth, it would be here, however, if you are just looking for the general area (Southampton and Bournemouth as well as New Forest...go to Southampton Ageas for now).

Staying again twice in Dec. so will report back and hope that some things will change.

Safe travels everyone.
:D! and wizla like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I agree with the lounge beer, then again I seem to rarely stay in any hotels that truly have a decent beer selection. As for water, it seems odd that you only had still water. When I was there recently the bottled water was all sparkling and still water was in a jug.

Overall I like this hotel, but I agree there's areas that could be improved. I've yet to try an evening meal in the restaurant.

One area that annoyed me when I was staying on the 8th floor. There's only one lift you can use (well actually I discovered a second lift that I could use, but I think that's meant for staff as it's not signposted anywhere and takes you down to the back of the spa area) and it can take a while for it to turn up. When they designed the layout they should have had an express lift just for the Skybar (Doubletree Lincoln has this), in this case customers on the 8th floor could use it too.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Had two further stays here in Dec. The end result is that I've moved my 2019 stays to the Ageas Bowl Hilton in Southampton as the large number of smaller issues here has finally made me realise my custom is better placed elsewhere.

several points mentioned in my last post remain the same/plus some new issues;

-no bathrobes and no slippers even in exec rooms (but no compensation and no delivery of them when I phoned down to get them brought up)

-despite doing online check in, both times that was completely ignored and check in was by the numbers down to printing off the reservation details, signing the sheet and having to get cards coded for the rooms. Then features mentioned by the numbers instead of asking if I've stayed before, even to the point that I was directed to the level 8 elevator (a no go if you value your time as you'll wait forever for it) and then said I'd use the other elevator as it is quicker...then without batting an eyelid, told that breakfast was over there...(hello luv, I've just indicated I know which elevator to use, most likely I know where breakfast is!)...anyway, not meant to be a rant, simply saying that given the cut backs, the costs for parking and room and the poor service and standards of late, I've decided to cut my losses and go back to the better hotel in Southampton (which is also more convenient to get to for me as well so a benefit there as well).

I like the rooms, I love that it is right downtown but otherwise, they've lost the plot and lost my goodwill.

The lounge fridge picture that is symbolic of the situation: (and no, it wasn't plundered just before the picture)...edit: FT doesn't like me either it seems...ah well, I'll try later.

Safe travels everyone.

Last edited by BotB; Dec 20, 2018 at 9:48 am Reason: trying to add picture but FT seems to be against me as well!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Anyone have an update on this hotel. In particular I am looking for an update on the hotels lounge offering.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
I have just arrived at the Hilton Bournemouth. The lounge is closed as iits location is being moved. The hotel haven’t considered how to manage the situation other than to give a few drinks vouchers, which has been extended to a few beers and wine in the room with a few peanuts. I am not happy but have had a room upgrade. I would have preferred to have been told of its closure and come another eeekend. We met a manager who stilll couldn’t help resolve an issue. I am Very unhappy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.