Hilton Bournemouth {GBR}

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
Probably chicken wings.
Yep

Originally Posted by wizla
If the new lounge is smaller than the original then it must be like a broom cupboard, what a shame , used to like this hotel but it seems to get a slating just lately.
It's definitely smaller than the old lounge (that includes when it occupies two meeting rooms), on the plus side the fridge was stocked with coke, sparkling water and three different types of tonic as well as the lager, the cynic in me thinks that's just for a few weeks.

On this floor plan the lounge has taken over "Not so mad" and the neighbouring "Not a wind up" was also used (they have sliding partitions to join the rooms together). It's possible in future that "not a wind up" is booked as a meeting room so the lounge occupies the tiny space of just one meeting room.

I struggle to see how they'll cope in the new room even if the only people eligible for the lounge are in executive rooms and suites, if there's loads of diamonds it's going to be a disaster.

So perhaps a FT do in the summer, see how they cope

wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by layz
Yep

It's definitely smaller than the old lounge (that includes when it occupies two meeting rooms), on the plus side the fridge was stocked with coke, sparkling water and three different types of tonic as well as the lager, the cynic in me thinks that's just for a few weeks.

On this floor plan the lounge has taken over "Not so mad" and the neighbouring "Not a wind up" was also used (they have sliding partitions to join the rooms together). It's possible in future that "not a wind up" is booked as a meeting room so the lounge occupies the tiny space of just one meeting room.

I struggle to see how they'll cope in the new room even if the only people eligible for the lounge are in executive rooms and suites, if there's loads of diamonds it's going to be a disaster.

So perhaps a FT do in the summer, see how they cope

An FT do........That would be quite amusing wouldnt it......haha, can you imagine?.......... I do some freelance work for b line recordings and they are based in Bournemouth.......I may book this rather than the Hampton next door just out of curiosity next time Im down that way
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Things are getting weird, they've added an extra fridge to the lounge but there's fewer things in it than there was on day one. Gone is the Coke and the different selection of Fever Tree tonics, apparently these were only there on day 1 as the machine that dispenses Pepsi and tonic water wasn't working. It's a mystery why there's two fridges when neither is full.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
Thumbs down

Things are getting weird, they've added an extra fridge to the lounge but there's fewer things in it than there was on day one. Gone is the Coke and the different selection of Fever Tree tonics, apparently these were only there on day 1 as the machine that dispenses Pepsi and tonic water wasn't working. It's a mystery why there's two fridges when neither is full.
The 2nd fridge was empty all last week when I was there. The machine also does not dispense light tonic even when working. How hard is it really to stock a small fridge with some mixers? The other fridge had some Pellegrino and jugs with juice in only.

We did say to the duty manager the lounge was not what we had been led to expect and she got very defensive, in fact rather confrontational - claiming nothing had really changed since the move and implying we were the only visitors who had an issue with it. Obviously inaccurate. The lounge seems to me to be simply a tick box item now so they can say they have one as a USP above other local hotels.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:02 am

The management are certainly arrogant at this place. Glad to see it wasn't just me!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfknight
The lounge seems to me to be simply a tick box item now so they can say they have one as a USP above other local hotels.
Do new Hiltons have to have executive lounges or is it optional? All the newish Hiltons I've stayed in have lounges but many of the older ones don't. What is a shame is the Hilton Bournemouth has gone from a custom designed lounge to something stuffed into a meeting room. I wonder if the hotel is considering changing to a brand (whether or not in the Hilton group) that doesn't require a lounge and the current arrangement is just temporary while they remain a Hilton.
Here's a picture of the famous fridges taken at the beginning of the evening food and drinks service.

Hilton Bournemouth Executive Lounge
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I've not been there for a while. However why not report the lounge as being a problem via the app? This goes to corporate who then phone the manager at the hotel etc.

You might actually then get somewhere.

Trust me when reporting or giving feedback via the app, the hotels tend to jump.....
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

San Pelly and Tanq are not bad for drinks in a lounge though. I see Finlandia as well. Not exactly entry level.

Those Carimali coffee machines are dreadful. Virgin Trains use them in their lounges.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:29 am

Do new Hiltons have to have executive lounges or is it optional?
About two years ago I emailed the VP of HH with a rant (I'm sure it was Aaron Glick) and in the response I got back it mentioned that going forward new Hiltons in the UK would have lounges and that a number of older ones would reflag as DTs.

About five or six months later a number of the more questionable Hiltons in the regions rebranded to Doubletree. The few new ones that have came online since then (Cambridge & Edinburgh I think) have both had lounges and the new one in Aberdeen which is due to open in September will have a lounge.

I'm not sure if this is still the current approach but what was in the email was accurate at the time. It's a shame they never continued with the reflagging of the older properties as some of them are pretty poor but thats for another thread I suppose.
wizla likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrism20
About two years ago I emailed the VP of HH with a rant (I'm sure it was Aaron Glick) and in the response I got back it mentioned that going forward new Hiltons in the UK would have lounges and that a number of older ones would reflag as DTs.
Strangely I stayed at the DoubleTree Docklands when it changed from a Hilton to a DoubleTree and one of the changes during the refurbishment to DT was the addition of a lounge.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:41 am

Im here this coming Friday, I have been booked to host a gig at a nearby venue and have booked myself a king guest room .
I was originally going to book the Hampton to save the promoter some money but the Hilton was strangely cheaper and I get to use the pool, sauna and gym......I also will get to sample the new executive lounge too .
Im aware there have been a few negative comments about the hotel lately, I will stay and do my usual cutting edge reporting 😉😂 with an open mind and see what happens........ I like Bournemouth and Im looking forward to visiting...... will report back!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
As you know wizla, Ive stayed at the Hampton the last three stays here due to the lack of qualitative differences between the two! Hope you have a great stay and that things are changing but I fear they havent! By the way, at the very least youll get more points at the Hilton! (1000 more)! Enjoy. ^
wizla likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
As you know wizla, Ive stayed at the Hampton the last three stays here due to the lack of qualitative differences between the two! Hope you have a great stay and that things are changing but I fear they havent! By the way, at the very least youll get more points at the Hilton! (1000 more)! Enjoy. ^
Hey mate, Ive totally taken on board your comments from your earlier posts and I trust your judgment wholeheartedly ...... if Im honest Im not expecting great like it used to be when it first opened..... the new lounge sounds a bit pokey and Ive read some bad reviews about long queues at breakfast too ....lets see.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:20 am
cjd

Originally Posted by wizla
Hey mate, Ive totally taken on board your comments from your earlier posts and I trust your judgment wholeheartedly ...... if Im honest Im not expecting great like it used to be when it first opened..... the new lounge sounds a bit pokey and Ive read some bad reviews about long queues at breakfast too ....lets see.
We are there there next week for a couple of nights. Reading this thread, doesn't make for good reading, especially the Exec lounge going downhill. Using a 75 off 250 spend AMEX discount. Look forward to your report.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by cjd
We are there there next week for a couple of nights. Reading this thread, doesn't make for good reading, especially the Exec lounge going downhill. Using a 75 off 250 spend AMEX discount. Look forward to your report.
Im trying hard to maintain an open mind but knowing Botb and I pretty much share the same views and opinions its difficult, however I will give a thorough report during my stay and try and get some pictures too.
Im struggling to upload pictures on FT ( something about a security tag? ) .
If theres anything specific you want me to ask/find out whilst there feel free to ask me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.