Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Starwood + Marriott: How Will Hilton Respond? Elite Status Matches?

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Posted by HHonorsRepresentative:

We're winding down for the Thanksgiving holiday and, as a heads up, I will be out of the office until Monday, but I wanted to let you know about our status match program...

We've been receiving a number of requests and yes, we do match status from other programs and we'd love to be your travel home.
We are matching status for 2016. To make sure you're all set for the year, please submit your request by January 11, 2016. You'll enjoy that status through March 2017.

All you need is something that shows your elite tier in another program and an HHonors number.

Email us at [email protected] and we'll help get you started.
Please note it may take a couple of days to process given the Thanksgiving holiday. We promise to process requests as quickly as possible and any request submitted prior to January 11, 2016, will be processed in time to enjoy your new status for the entire year.

Updated 12/18/15:

For anyone who is still interested in status matching to HHonors, we have created a site for registration:

HHonor My Status

Feel free to use this site in lieu of submitting an email.

Remember you have until January 11, 2016 - so act now!
Print Wikipost

Starwood + Marriott: How Will Hilton Respond? Elite Status Matches?

Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Baze
I'm just curious about all you doing the matchfest. Are you planning on actually using the status at Hilton or the interim hotels you matched to? They only do so many matches and only after so many years if you have already done a match. So if you aren't going to use it why did you do it and what will you do later when you may actually want to use it (and have lost the status) and Hilton won't match you because you already used up your match. All this matching actually hurts those of us that stay a lot (probably finish with 154 nights this year) if we happen to overlap with one of your stays. The just I get from a lot of the posts in this thread are you are doing it as a contingency. Not really smart in my book for the reasons I stated above. You do a match if you are going to actually use it.
+1 on hailstorm's reply. I recently got gold via Citi Reserve, then matched to Diamond with Hyatt Diamond. I have a one night stay coming up in San Fran, then a five night in April at the Conrad Maldives. Unless something really drastic happens, that will be the entirety of me taking advantage. I have been happy with my Hyatt Diamond, and I can requalify with cheap mattress runs. I understand the Hyatt system and don't care to learn the Hilton one. Not enough energy, and not enough travelling for it to be worthwhile to me to learn.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by hailstorm
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Stole the words from my mouth.

Also, Hyatt stole my last stay of the year from SPG with their match.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:40 pm

I'm just curious about all you doing the matchfest. Are you planning on actually using the status at Hilton or the interim hotels you matched to? They only do so many matches and only after so many years if you have already done a match. So if you aren't going to use it why did you do it and what will you do later when you may actually want to use it (and have lost the status) and Hilton won't match you because you already used up your match. All this matching actually hurts those of us that stay a lot (probably finish with 154 nights this year) if we happen to overlap with one of your stays. The just I get from a lot of the posts in this thread are you are doing it as a contingency. Not really smart in my book for the reasons I stated above. You do a match if you are going to actually use it.
Also hotel matches tend to work a bit different. With Hilton, when you drop down you can easily get a 'challenge' to bump your status back up so it's no real worry.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I took the HHonors Diamond match.

Prior to SPG being sold, I was requaling with Hyatt Diamond and SPG Plat annually. I had 3 more years for SPG LT Plat. I'm already MR LT Plat so no need to chase that carrot.

For 2016, my hotel plan is to requal for Hyatt Diamond. I'll use Hilton if Hyatt's rates are high and probably for a few other stays once I've requaled as Hyatt Diamond. So Hilton will get a few stays out of me in 2016 that I had planned on either staying at Hyatt or burning some hotel points. So it's a win for Hilton, as I will be producing revenue for them.

As far as HHonors Diamond, I can just get a credit card and achieve Diamond status on spend alone - not exactly a high hurdle for entry into Diamond status. No further HHonors status match/challenge? No big deal; I plan on getting it when needed through credit card spend.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I got the automated email response in about 90 minutes.

But it turns out that my old HHonors account has "expired" or something like that. I called them and they say the number is invalid even though I still have the card.

So I had to sign up again. Let's see how long it takes this time.

Last edited by stheller; Dec 11, 2015 at 6:37 pm Reason: old account had expired
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I took the HHonors Diamond match.

Prior to SPG being sold, I was requaling with Hyatt Diamond and SPG Plat annually. I had 3 more years for SPG LT Plat. I'm already MR LT Plat so no need to chase that carrot.

For 2016, my hotel plan is to requal for Hyatt Diamond. I'll use Hilton if Hyatt's rates are high and probably for a few other stays once I've requaled as Hyatt Diamond. So Hilton will get a few stays out of me in 2016 that I had planned on either staying at Hyatt or burning some hotel points. So it's a win for Hilton, as I will be producing revenue for them.

As far as HHonors Diamond, I can just get a credit card and achieve Diamond status on spend alone - not exactly a high hurdle for entry into Diamond status. No further HHonors status match/challenge? No big deal; I plan on getting it when needed through credit card spend.
Which credit card is that, and how much do you have to spend? I did look at the wiki but couldn't find that information in the threads I read.

Never mind, I found it: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-card-spending

Last edited by stheller; Dec 11, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I'll be using the status as I book Hiltons for business. That, IHG or Marriotts if price permits. SPG is never on my corporate booking site sadly so that's relegated to personal stays.

Hyatt I actually booked for early next year just because I knew I'd be getting Diamond.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by stheller
Which credit card is that, and how much do you have to spend? I did look at the wiki but couldn't find that information in the threads I read.

Never mind, I found it: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-card-spending
There are actually two cards that give HH Diamond through spend; Citi and AmEx have credit cards that give Diamond for $40K annual spend. That's pretty easy to generate through manufactured spending.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:37 am

I got the automated email response in about 90 minutes.

But it turns out that my old HHonors account has "expired" or something like that. I called them and they say the number is invalid even though I still have the card.

So I had to sign up again. Let's see how long it takes this time.
Got Gold this morning. Pretty fast service on a weekend!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:48 am

Got Gold this morning. Pretty fast service on a weekend!
I'm surprised that they made you open a new account rather than reactivate your old account.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised that they made you open a new account rather than reactivate your old account.
They cannot reactivate a closed account from inactivity. HH account expires in 12 months inactivity. Ditto SPG. It really is no big deal assuming you do not have a lot of past stays for counting toward LT status - if you let your account inactive enough to be purged, chances are you have few stays in the past.
In the case of SPG, being anew again actually has an advantage - you will receive lucrative offer to earn a free night anywhere for just one stay if your new account remains not having a stay for long enough (but still active due to other activities).

OTOH Hyatt, Marriott and IHG live forever, at least that is in the past. Now with each program has introduced the 2 years condition to keep account active, they probably would behave like HH and SPG going forward.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
For me personally, status usually gets you a 15-50% bonus on the points you earn for your stay, so for me this is a really, really easy/utterly effortless way to earn more points at stays I"d be making anyway (as my travel patterns tend not to change). I stay at Hilton anyway at least once a year and the status match was relatively hassle free, and chances are I'll probably end up staying at a Hyatt before 2017, in which case the upgrade and the extra points are worthwhile. (I always hoard points regardless of whether or not I need them).
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
They cannot reactivate a closed account from inactivity. HH account expires in 12 months inactivity. Ditto SPG. It really is no big deal assuming you do not have a lot of past stays for counting toward LT status - if you let your account inactive enough to be purged, chances are you have few stays in the past.
In the case of SPG, being anew again actually has an advantage - you will receive lucrative offer to earn a free night anywhere for just one stay if your new account remains not having a stay for long enough (but still active due to other activities).

OTOH Hyatt, Marriott and IHG live forever, at least that is in the past. Now with each program has introduced the 2 years condition to keep account active, they probably would behave like HH and SPG going forward.
I resurrected both my HGP and SPG from the dead in 2012. I hadn't used my SPG account for ~5 years and they were able to save everything - LT stays, years as elite, year I joined the program; they even restored my expired points and gave me gold status.
For HHonors, I had the account go dead a couple of times. They restored the points once, but not the second time I resurrected it from the dead.

The 2 year limitation on Marriott - does that apply to LT Plats? I saw that they won't take my points. I haven't used the account at all in 2015 but noticed that I had 1 point given to me on 12/10/15 for Marriott Visa (I closed my account over a year ago). It also lists 7 nights this year, but not broken out anywhere.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
currently Hilton Diamond and Hyatt Diamond. Was going to requal for Hilton Diamond using cc spend but would rather do the match if possible. Anyone had luck matching to Diamond through March 2017 if they were already Diamond (and not about to requal)?

No!!

I am/was Diamond in 2015 but only hit just over 40 nights to keep Gold. I had 203 Marriott night credits in 2015 so was easily Platinum. I used the Marriott status for a match request with a nice long letter. The response:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the status match offer. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Under this offer we are unable to extend your status. We understand you’ve earned your status and very much appreciate your loyalty. We also want frequent travelers that belong to other loyalty programs to experience Hilton HHonors and travel with us as much as you do. We are giving these members a trial period by offering an immediate status match, and once they are in the program, they will have to meet the same criteria to earn their status for the upcoming years, just like you.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. For immediate assistance, please click on the link below for the contact number of the Hilton Worldwide Service Center location nearest you.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:01 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The 2 year limitation on Marriott - does that apply to LT Plats? I saw that they won't take my points. I haven't used the account at all in 2015 but noticed that I had 1 point given to me on 12/10/15 for Marriott Visa (I closed my account over a year ago). It also lists 7 nights this year, but not broken out anywhere.
Yep. Anyone with LT status (any LT status) won't have their account closed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.