Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Avisford Park, Arundel {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Avisford Park, Arundel {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:02 am
obs
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Arrow Hilton Avisford Park, Arundel {GBR}

Anyone know what this propery is like. I have a suite booked there on 12/8. I have searched the forum and only 1 person has mentioned it stating it had no exec lounge. Can anyone tell me more?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 1:26 pm

It's not too bad for a UK Hilton. It's an old building set in some nice grounds, with an adjoining golf course.

Rooms are adequately furnished. Ours was ridiculously hot - no aircon - though that's not normally a problem in the UK. Although I'm a Diamond, I didn't get upgraded, so your suite may be better.

Breakfast was also acceptable, though not outstanding. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel so I couldn't comment on that. Arundel's a good place to spend a few hours browsing.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by small em
Arundel's a good place to spend a few hours browsing.
Isn't there a pretty large and very well preserved castle in Arundel? I believe we stumbled across it a number of years ago when I was there with two of my daughters.

As I recall, it was pretty impressive.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:22 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I agree, Arundel and Arundel Castle is great - I was lucky to have an ex-girlfriend go there a few years ago and was the nanny to the Lord and Lady.

Got the insiders tour of the Castle including the room Elizabeth I slept in...then was lucky enough to sleep in one of the rooms for the night in the "guest wing" (no, not with the ex ). Was a bit freaky as the beds were huge, the rooms enormous but all the paintings of ancestors kept looking at me and the armour hanging on the walls creaked with all the wind. Didn't sleep well.

Drove through Arundel last year with Mrs QF WP and looked fondly at the Castle, but annoyed now I hadn't checked out the Hilton there...
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by QF WP
I agree, Arundel and Arundel Castle is great - I was lucky to have an ex-girlfriend go there a few years ago and was the nanny to the Lord and Lady.

Got the insiders tour of the Castle including the room Elizabeth I slept in...then was lucky enough to sleep in one of the rooms for the night in the "guest wing" (no, not with the ex ). Was a bit freaky as the beds were huge, the rooms enormous but all the paintings of ancestors kept looking at me and the armour hanging on the walls creaked with all the wind. Didn't sleep well.

Drove through Arundel last year with Mrs QF WP and looked fondly at the Castle, but annoyed now I hadn't checked out the Hilton there...
Heading down that way when i am in the UK Aug/Sept QF WP. Will let you know what the Hilton is like if we stay there
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:28 pm
obs
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the replies. I will update this post after my stay to let you all know what its like.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 4:55 pm

I concur with small em. This hotel is on a sprawling grounds in the middle of S. England. I stayed there about 3 months ago. There is a real hottie (or 2?) that works at the front desk. No exec lounge. The hotel itself is fairly old. There is a newer wing towards the back of the hotel that is newer but it is a FAR walk, especially with heavy bags. I got assigned a fairly spacious room near the lobby that I should have kept but I requested a different room since I was by myself and the room and two small twin beds and I wanted a single double bed instead. I was moved to the newer wing in the back but the room was much smaller and WAY back. I had dinner there, the food was alright, nothing special. I got a good rate (I think ~75 GPB) but as with all (or most) Hiltons in the UK, I got no breakfast voucher as a HH Gold. Instead I got the standard crappy UK subsitute amenity: a couple crackers/biscuits, a teeny tiny bottle of wine, a bottle of water, and a small piece of chocolate. There were a couple sheep grazing outside my window in the pasture next door. The grounds were big, there were a couple tennis courts there. All in all, an OKAY UK Hilton hotel (good for the price), but that's not saying much since UK Hiltons in general are pretty poor IMHO as I stayed at 4 or 5 during that trip. But MUCH better than Hilton Wembley!!! The Arundel Castle is pretty cool and the town of Arundel is interesting, I should have eaten there, but I ate at the hotel instead. BTW, the hotel is a couple miles West of the town of Arundel. I have 10-20 pics of the Hilton Arundel (room, surroundings, Castle, etc). If you want me to e-mail them to you, PM me back with an e-mail address and I will get those to you. They do have a fairly good gym/indoor pool there (I didn't use it but I checked it out) as locals pay to use it and it is run by a separate company. Hotel guests get to use it free. I think I was upgraded to the "Deluxe" room type as I got a robe and the crappy amenity, etc. I think its the same room but they give you those two things and charge you an extra $60 for it if y ou are not HH Elite. I'm not sure about Suites there, I didn't think they had Suites, just the "Deluxe" rooms which may be the same rooms only with better views possibly............not that you can really get a good or bad view there.....
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:44 pm

Slightly OT, but if you are down that way, I can highly recommend the Brighton Metropole. It's a grand old seaside hotel. I stayed on a super cheap rate (£59 including brekkie), but as a Diamond they gave me the biggest suite in the house, plus some wine and fruit. They do a very nice breakfast too.

OTOH, the Brighton West Pier, just down the road, is best avoided.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by small em
OTOH, the Brighton West Pier, just down the road, is best avoided.
Even the seagulls avoid that thing now. Any Ft'ers travelling through Brighton PM me if you fancy a beer!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:01 am
obs
Original Poster

Hilton Avisford Park, Arundel Trip Reports and Reviews

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...90#post4512490

Link to my recent visit to Hilton Arundel.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: HH Gold
Hilton Avisford Park, Arundel Trip Report

Nice upgraded room which gave us a view over the golf course at the front. Most of the hotel has been refurbished (which continues at the moment), meaning that the room was light and airy, with good facilities. The shower's water pressure was pathetic but apart from that, no complaints.

The building dates back to the early 19th century and is set in nice grounds. The restaurant is excellent and the menu choices were imaginative and plentiful. Waitress service at dinner, I'm pleased to say. Free parking too.

Access is just off the main A27, a couple of miles from Arundel itself.

There are no lifts, just stairs connecting the three floors. I recommend this hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed there last weekend.

Very nice staff on fronty desk. Upgraded to a suite - large sitting room and bedroom but very small bathroom. All looked in good decorative order and very clean. Amenities of 2 wines, 2 waters and chocolate bar.

Very quiet room. No AC but the radiators kept the room nice and warm.

Breakfast was very good with large selection of food and eggs, pancakes, etc cooked to order. Hotel was not very busy but plenty of staff.

Overall very good value and will definitely return.

Arundel is about a 5 minute drive away and is worth a visit
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Have stayed there a few times over the past year or two. The hotel, like many UK Hiltons, is starting to look quite shabby and the rooms need a makeover. The staff continue to be excellent and very helpful.

The Diamond amenity has long gone - nothing in the room at all - not even a bottle of water. Each guest gets a drinks voucher which given the bar prices there is good value.

Avoid the rooms at the front of the hotel - we had 112 last night and it was only at 4AM we realised our error as people starting packing their cars up. Then the beer truck turned up and started rolling metal barrels along outside - hardly a peaceful night.

This hotel is used a lot by coach tours and the like so on some nights the average age of guests is probably in the 80's!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
A disappointing stay.

Arrived late (12.30 am abouts), no upgrade. Room was ok but a little musty as if it hadn't been used for a while. Diamond amenity 2 bottles water and drinks voucher for 1 drink for 1 person (3 people for 3 days!).

We soon found it was above the kitchen with refrigeration on/ off all night ( single glazed, and you could hear it through the wall anyway). Poor room allocation I felt.

7.15ish next morning bottle recycling lorry, then paper recycling lorry then deliveries, was not pleased to be woken after late arrival and flight the night before. Duty manager intervened and tried to help. We took a disabled room, as it was quieter, not ideal but overall quite a nice room and definitely quieter.

Last edited by Skimanant; Oct 31, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
I stayed here with my family last Sunday and was not very impressed.

I usually tend to stay at IHG and Accor properties but there are none nearby so I decided to give Hilton a try. I had quite low expectations as I had read that this is an older hotel in need of some refurbishment and I also have no status with Hilton. All we needed was a basic hotel for a 1 night stopover but I was still quite disappointed.

The hotel grounds and surrounding area are very nice and check in was friendly and efficient (I only had to collect keys as had used online check in).

As expected, we found the hotel to be quite dated. Our room was unbearably hot and the window was broken so would not stay open making the heat issue worse. It also wouldn't lock which was a bit of a safety issue for our little boy so we had to push the beds together so he could sleep between us. I would usually have asked for a different room but I knew from the online room selection that only 1 family room was available.

We also found blood on 2 of our pillows and were woken up at 6am by a lorry delivering to the hotel beeping its horn just outside our room. Then a bin lorry arrived and the noise continued for around 20 minutes as the bins were loudly emptied.

All in all this was not a good stay. At least it was quite cheap at £69.

Last edited by davrossuk; Jun 19, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.