Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by calguy77
Here for two nights. Upgraded to 1 bedroom suite for my diamond status. Was asked if I wanted corner King or 1 bedroom. Was given breakfast vouchers, 4 drink coupons, bottled water. So far enjoying the property.
I’ve been considering trying this property and the drink coupons might push me over the edge (I do enjoy a nice dram before bed). What do they cover (just beer/wine, a max price point, etc)?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:40 am

After several stays at the Conrad, I just tried the Londonhouse, with mixed results. On the good side, the room was beautiful. I was pre-upgraded to a king corner room, which was probably nicer than I’ve seen in any other US Hilton property excluding Conrads (though it gave those a run for their money). The room was very spacious- it would have been perfect if traveling with small children, as there was a couch large enough to sleep on, and plenty of space for a rollaway. Amenities were good (Londonhouse branded Malin and Goetz), among with a nespresso machine and nice robes and slippers. All of the staff with whom I interacted (except for the dour bartender in the lobby bar) were friendly and helpful.
There were two downsides, which will deter me from returning. As a light sleeper, the noise situation wasn’t great. I had asked for a quiet room and was initially given a room in the 4th floor. I walked in and was greeted by loud honking snd traffic that sounded like the windows were open (which they were not). I went back and got myself moved to the 19th floor, which mostly solved the traffic noise, though I could still hear it faintly. On this floor I could easily hear the music from the rooftop bar, again through the windows. Internal soundproofing wasn’t much better- all of the hallway noise came through the door, and the a/c ramped up and down every few minutes very loudly - it reminded me of those window units at the Hampton Inn.
The other thing I found a bit annoying were the elevators. Despite an elevator bank of 8 lifts, only two seemed to actually work. The elevators are summoned by entering your desired floor into a control screen, and you’re told which elevator to use. Since everyone was being sent to the same two, there were large crowds trying to pile into each lift, and I had to wait for the elevators to go up and return twin or three times before managing to get in. It easily took me 10 minutes of waiting to be able to get from the lobby to then 19th floor. This put me off quite a bit, as it took me a good 39 minutes longer than I expected to checkin and put my stuff away.
The one service fail was at the bar- i ordered a cocktail off their menu, and the bartender brought me something completely different. She then wandered off to talk with a coworker in the back, Not a big thing, but also not an incentive to return.
In general, between the noise and the elevators,
i won’t be rushing back, even though the property itself is quite nice.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:57 am

I think I'm going to have a personal rule going forward to avoid places with rooftop bars and/or those automatic elevators. Agreed that those two causes are the source of 99% of problems in properties that have them!
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:30 am

I may have posted earlier, but we were also on one of the higher floors last time we were there and it was really loud. We even called down and asked what time it was going to be over because it was just blasting music until well after midnight. All was well at 2am.... ugh.

(yep, posted in July of last year just after the stay. We had a much quieter stay at the Conrad last month)
Old May 2, 2019, 1:12 pm

airflyer- I think those are both good rules to live by. I haven't been to any other properties with the automated elevators, but I can see how they might cause a mess. There were definitely lots of confused people hopping into the first open elevator and then learning that it wasn't goiing to their floor. I do think the main issue was just that they only seemed to have 2 of the 8 operational. I wonder if some of the others were dedicated between the ground floor and the roofdeck or something of that nature, since 6 out of 8 being out of service seems really excessive.

MissJ - I actually did vaguely recall your post when they offered to move me to the 19th floor, and did ask if I'd hear noise from the roofdeck. They assured me that I was seperated enough such that things would be quiet in the room... Even so, I think I still ended up better off than on a lower floor with the traffic noise. As I mentioned in the Conrad thread, I'm not usually bothered by traffic noise (the Michigan Ave rooms at the Conrad were not a problem for me), but the constant honking next to the London House did manage to exceed my threshold. I guess there's no win for us light sleepers- low floors give you the traffic noise, and high floors get the roofdeck music.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:40 pm

We were at the Conrad on the 16th (I think) floor in one of the ultra king rooms last month. Maybe give one of those a try as they face the north-west and I didn't hear much noise. I heard maybe one ambulance, but otherwise it was pretty good.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ
We were at the Conrad on the 16th (I think) floor in one of the ultra king rooms last month. Maybe give one of those a try as they face the north-west and I didn't hear much noise. I heard maybe one ambulance, but otherwise it was pretty good.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll probably be back at the Conrad in a few weeks, unless their prices are extra high during my trip.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Thanks for the tip! I’ll probably be back at the Conrad in a few weeks, unless their prices are extra high during my trip.
I will second that advice - as a very light sleeper myself I have had good luck with those rooms at the Conrad.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer

I will second that advice - as a very light sleeper myself I have had good luck with those rooms at the Conrad.
Tbanks! I'll give that a try when I'm there next.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:37 am

Just finished a 1-night stay at what I think was an amazing rate ($109). The diamond breakfast benefit is still a $12-off voucher (up to two people). Check-in was smooth and diamond status was recognized, however no upgrade was offered and I didn't ask for one (I don't particularly care as much about hotel upgrades as some here do). The rooftop bar was directly in the sun in the middle of the day, and many of the tables were "reserved" for what I assume to be people willing to shell out big $$ on some sort of bottle service. In any case it was about 95 degrees and sunny up there so we had no urge to stay and fry. Nice spot for some photos though, and I can imagine that place completely jumping on a Summer night. The inside upstairs bar was also pretty trendy-looking and completely full in the early afternoon.

The room itself was a decent size when compared to other Chicago hotels. I absolutely love the Malin & Goetz toiletries. It's a very modern room and includes a Nespresso machine and a mini-fridge (and thankfully NOT an annoying minibar). Room was on the 17th floor so noise was not an issue.

I don't understand why this hotel was the same rate as many of the Hamptons and HGIs in the same area, but I'll take it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
I don't understand why this hotel was the same rate as many of the Hamptons and HGIs in the same area, but I'll take it.
Chicago hotel pricing is really volatile. The swings between seasons or even week-to-week can be 2-4X. Just depends on what is going on in town - big conferences, festivals, sporting events or popular summer weekends drive prices way up, and then there will be dead periods where everything is a fire sale.

Hey, that would be a good Hilton promo email - "Chicago Fire Sale!".
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Fall 2019 2-Night Stay

Just completed a 3 day / 2 night stay.

Did mobile check-in. No upgrade. Went to desk and was offered a “1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite”, which I took. However, the Blackout shades in the bedroom were missing so I was moved to a “1 King Bed Vista 1 Bedroom Suite.”

Despite being sold for a higher price, the Vista was smaller. It did have a nice view of the river, but the Trump logo was DIRECTLY in sight out the bedroom window. Management said they’ve received a number of complaints.

Breakfast was the standard $12 voucher, which covers almost anything in the restaurant downstairs. The food was VERY good.

No issues with noise. The elevators took a little getting used to but I MUCH more enjoy this style.
Great stay, despite really crappy weather. Will definitely be back.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Just spent one night (2 rooms) at this property, The morning of arrival, the app showed upgrades to king corner studio for both rooms. The rooms were great as always, although the street noise was annoyingly loud. As a Diamond, received $12 vouchers/person for the restaurant on the ground floor. Food (quality and quantity) and service were excellent. Still the same toiletries and two complimentary espresso pods (plus one decaf). I noticed bathrobes but didn't see slippers as I did in the past. I still prefer the Sofitel in Chicago but for this visit, the location of the London House was better.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Just spent one night (2 rooms) at this property, The morning of arrival, the app showed upgrades to king corner studio for both rooms. The rooms were great as always, although the street noise was annoyingly loud. As a Diamond, received $12 vouchers/person for the restaurant on the ground floor. Food (quality and quantity) and service were excellent. Still the same toiletries and two complimentary espresso pods (plus one decaf). I noticed bathrobes but didn't see slippers as I did in the past. I still prefer the Sofitel in Chicago but for this visit, the location of the London House was better.
Does the $12 vouchers cover the breakfast or you had to pay extras ?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Does the $12 vouchers cover the breakfast or you had to pay extras ?
You'll have to pay extra in most cases. Here's the menu: https://www.landlkitchen.com/menus. Of course tax and tip are extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.