FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   LondonHouse Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-IL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1723507-londonhouse-chicago-curio-collection-hilton-us-il.html)

ORD-TGU Jun 1, 2016 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 26707467)
My overall sentiment after last night (as I sit at O'Hare watching a storm roll in) is that it is a property that has promise. The staff was excellent which is always a plus and it does have a lot of nice touches. That said, whether I stay here again will depend on what the rates are relative to the other properties I am prone to stay at. My gut pricing instinct is that the rates will be just under that of the Waldorf and if that was the case I would either splurge for the Waldorf or go the Drake. The feeling I had this morning was that I rather missed the old Conrad, I loved their rooftop bar (which was obviously less grand but I could just wander up and enjoy a nice cocktail and bite to eat at the end of the day). Admittedly, I have become a big Conrad fan based on the limited US exposure I have had and hope the new Chicago Conrad fits the bill.

Even after I got used to the elevator scheme I still did not like it. The rooftop not being accessible (at least as far as I was concerned also irked me).

One thing I did really like was the relatively close proximity to the Blue line so no transfer needed to the Red line such as is the case with the Mag Mile/Gold Coast properties (unless you walk from the Blue Line, which I actually did on Sunday to get to the Hyatt Mag Mile because I just hated dealing with the transfer with luggage)

Disappointed too. I like the WA and the huge spa. Did this hotel have a spa?

Crossing my fingers for the Conrad. Although due to its location I doubt any nice views, but if they have a lounge and a full breakfast, I will be stopping by.

arlflyer Jun 1, 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU (Post 26710988)
Disappointed too. I like the WA and the huge spa. Did this hotel have a spa?

Nope. Some marketing release somewhere said something about an "arrangement" with the WA to let LH guests use their spa. As if the two properties are close to each other...and I am sure it will be at a cost, if everything else is an indicator...:rolleyes:

The LH seems like a nickel-and-dime fest. Room rates look to be $500 and up, up, up and you're paying for location, newness, and buzz. No real amenities that I can see other than breakfast. Can't even get into the hotel bar on a $500/night rate. I'm going to give it a try with an open mind using one of my certificates in a couple weeks, but for the rates they're charging I don't see myself coming back.

Crossing my fingers for the Conrad. Although due to its location I doubt any nice views, but if they have a lounge and a full breakfast, I will be stopping by.

Me too but I am not optimistic given that the trend has been away from more included amenities and towards more paying for everything. I think the Palmer House is going to remain my good friend in Chicago.

Miesque Jun 1, 2016 8:42 am

Looking at the website for the new Conrad it does not appear that there will be a lounge, but the prior Conrad did not either.

I also noticed it looks like they reduced the number of suites at the new Conrad.

On a side note, it seems lounges are falling out of favor with new properties in these big cities (at least in the US). Of all the Hilton properties to open in NYC the past few years none have a lounge.

Steve Weagant Jun 1, 2016 1:31 pm

Sounds like another version of the White. You pay a lot of money for the hotel to treat you like they are doing you a favor letting you stay there since you are not part of the beautiful people set who "belong in the bar". I can skip it.

jerry a. laska Jun 2, 2016 4:07 pm

Another photo tour of the hotel:
http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/6/1/1...tel-photo-tour

IsleOfMan Jun 3, 2016 10:06 am

Based on on the rates I'm seeing, I'll be sticking to Palmer House in the colder months, and one of the all-suites properties in the warmer months, and maybe theWit when my DT BMG cert arrives... I might pop into the lobby bar for a drink and look around, though.

Miesque Jun 4, 2016 2:53 pm

Just went over to TripAdvisor to see what had been posted so far and got a chuckle out of the following comments based on my experience (glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read the Vista Suite comment :D):

So, as with most things brand new there are some hiccups they are trying to work out.
First, our room didn't have any cream or coffee cups to enjoy the nespresso machine our first morning. So, I go down to the lobby and see a spread of muffins, fruit, yogurt, plates, silverware and coffee urns. So I help myself. Well, it's not free - even though it sure looks like a help yourself. Even though nobody hassled me it was a little strange. However, the panoramic view from the hotel lobby while you sip on coffee is outstanding!

The LondonHouse has a fabulous rooftop bar! Or so, I've heard. Unfortunately, nobody informed us, upon check-in, that reservations are required and you HAVE to do them online. We weren't the only ones though. Several people got turned away like us only to be offered the indoor bar on the top floor which, if I'm going to pay alot for a drink and get slow service, I'd rather do it with a spectacular view!

I stayed at the new Londonhouse Chicago, and though I had booked a one Bedroom Suite, they put me in the Vista Suite, which is a suite in the way that Golden Corral is fine family dining. The living area is very small (my knees banged against the table). The shower temperature was lukewarm until I was finished (10 minutes), though I will chalk that up to growing pains, and there is no minibar or snacks available for purchase (since I did not arrive until 9:15 p.m. I was unable to order room service, as I had not eaten since noon).

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I realize that this hotel just opened, but the room size reminds of rooms in Europe.

I also feel that this is another of the new line of hotels that is more interested in their Rooftop Bar, and the hotel portion is an afterthought.

toomanybooks Jun 9, 2016 10:58 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 26711148)
Room rates look to be $500 and up, up, up and you're paying for location, newness, and buzz. .

Was considering a staycation downtown this Saturday. Checked ChicagoHouse and room $650 plus tax.

But only 70K HH. If worth anywhere near $700+, not too bad.

Blues Festival destroys deals here.

arlflyer Jun 9, 2016 11:22 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 26753477)
Was considering a staycation downtown this Saturday. Checked ChicagoHouse and room $650 plus tax.

But only 70K HH. If worth anywhere near $700+, not too bad.

Yeah, for sure, on a straight CPM basis that is definitely a good deal. But the operative question is, as you note, whether the hotel is worth what they're charging. The LH is $650 tomorrow night, but the PH is $250 and the Hilton Chicago is $200. Is the LH 3x the hotel of either of those? Dunno, but skeptical...

EDIT: Since the previous posting a couple hours ago, LH has dropped their rate to $350 for tomorrow night so perhaps they realized they were thinking a bit highly of themselves. :D

arlflyer Jun 13, 2016 1:09 pm

So, as folks reading my above posts may discern, I went into a stay at this property with somewhat low expectations, thinking it was going to be a nickel-and-dime type of operation where no one would give me the time of day. I was 100% wrong.

Upon showing up at noon, we were greeted by numerous staff and politely directly up to the second-floor lobby. The lobby space is very modern and crisp, with the check-in desk and bar situated next to big bank of windows providing expansive views of river to the west. Upon my simply asking to drop bags until check-in, the agent insisted on checking available inventory and placing us into an upgraded room, and up we went. The room that we received was the "corner studio" layout. While not a true suite it is basically a large room with the living space partitioned off using a permanent swiveling divider containing the mirror on one side and TV on the other. This made the space feel quite large and open, whereas the "true" suites are long and narrow as Miesque has noted.

The furnishings of the rooms were top-notch: high-end finishes, extremely comfortable bed, and a spacious bathroom layout with a big walk-in shower and a very large window looking out over the Michigan Ave bridge.

As far as the public spaces go, I think that they did a very good job from a design perspective. They did not try to go hyper-modern nor complete throwback to the jazz club that lends the property its name. I think it was very tastefully done.

With respect to amenities, they seem to have focused the efforts on maximizing guest rooms and not building in too much space for other things. The gym is quite small and limited (though flawlessly finished), and the spa is just treatment space without a sauna, etc. that you would expect in a full (European or similar) spa.

Other posters have noted the elevator system, and while it breaks against most people's ingrained intuition, once you get used to it it does seem to work quite well. Even at busy times we often had an elevator to ourselves and went straight to/from our desired floor. One thing I noticed was that they must not have a service elevator because many times there were numerous staff using the guest elevators, including housekeeping, servers going to/from the rooftop bar, etc.

Then there is the aforementioned rooftop bar...what an interesting experience. Let's just say that they take this very seriously. When we showed up right at opening time on a weekday (it worked out with our schedule), the hostess was quoting a 30+ minute wait. Mind you there was no one up there at the time. Her position was that they were "fully booked with reservations". Now I understand that the tables can obviously be reserved, but to just get a drink and stand somewhere and drink it (which we made clear was all we wanted to do)? I would think there would always be some room for this unless they were at capacity. Anyhow, we sort of tried to reason with this individual for a few minutes, then a manager happened to be passing by, overheard and realized that she was being somewhat ridiculous, then took us up ourselves where we proceeded to have a drink. Of course the whole time we were up there (~30 minutes) the place was at all of like 10% capacity. So sort of a weird setup but I guess it's designed for the assumption that they're going to be at full demand 100% of the time. Great views though!

Breakfast was done in the lobby bar. Basically they set up continental items (nice pastries, yogurts, fruit) on the bar and had a custom omelet station at the other end and wait staff doing coffee service. It was simple but high quality - the omelets were great!

During breakfast I got to chatting with a manager who had been involved in the hiring and launch. I noted that it seemed they had not ramped up their full F&B capacities and he said that was correct; the long-term plan is for a restaurant in the first-floor space but they are looking for the right partner (Can we have too much Brendan Sodikoff? I say they should try and find out.). So there should be an evolution in that space in the coming months/years. At a higher level, this manager was an absolute pleasure to talk to, and went into some detailed discussion of the work that he had done in staffing and launching the property. It's clear that the management team here is extremely professional and personally invested in success.

The service was on a level I have never experienced at a US hhonors property. We were met with a smile and greeted by every single staff member we ever encountered. Period. I noted this to the manager I chatted with and he said he simply made sure to hire the best people. Well done, I say.

In my opinion these folks are running the best hhonors property in Chicago at the moment. The hard product, service level, location, and hhonors benefits combine to create an offering that is tough to beat.

It will be interesting to observe the future of the hhonors property landscape in Chicago. This property just added 450 rooms to the top of the market. The Conrad is coming soon with 300 more. Can all this capacity be absorbed without a hitch? Will there be downward price pressure? Will the properties ratchet up benefits to fight for customers? Should be real interesting. I know this much - If I were the WA I would be feeling very nervous right now.

Some pictures:

Michigan Avenue entrance

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7046/2...db320f50_b.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7284/2...29f47b19_b.jpg

Elevator lobby

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7441/2...00d02504_b.jpg

Main lobby

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7714/2...5bedb7f0_b.jpg

Guest room hallway

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7308/2...044c8fb6_b.jpg

Corner Studio

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7368/2...a6aab2f5_b.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7726/2...0ddac6a9_b.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7407/2...77f8f696_b.jpg

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7087/2...b8482516_b.jpg

Bathroom window view...

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7422/2...10d4cc02_b.jpg

Rooftop Bar Panorama

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7138/2...552a47e6_b.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7355/2...4349e8fc_b.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7256/2...550e94c6_b.jpg

Sunrise from the room window

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7332/2...640d8c0d_b.jpg

unregistered1 Jun 13, 2016 2:11 pm

It may be because I'm a mid-week traveler without weekend nights but the rates for LondonHouse seem way down from what I'm seeing in this thread.

I have the next 2 weeks booked there:

June 19 - 23 @$240/night
June 27 - 30 @$190/night

arlflyer Jun 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by unregistered1 (Post 26773098)
It may be because I'm a mid-week traveler without weekend nights but the rates for LondonHouse seem way down from what I'm seeing in this thread.

I have the next 2 weeks booked there:

June 19 - 23 @$240/night
June 27 - 30 @$190/night

Yep, I've noticed the same as well. Weekend rates are comparable, at least for the next couple. I think that the combination of being brand new and there being events in town (Blues fest last weekend) had driven rates up. As I noted at the end of my last post, it will be interesting to see where rates normalize at not only for this property but for the whole higher end of the hhonors portfolio once this property and the Conrad become established.

Miesque Jun 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Nice review arlflyer. From the photos, I like your room set-up better than the Vista "suite" I had for my stay. The breakfast arrangement you described was not there when I was staying so it sounds like a welcome change. I do find it pretty obnoxious they were being so restrictive with access to the rooftop bar if it was mostly unoccupied.

ukyank Jun 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Glad I read this. I had a reservation booked in 2 weeks from now & half the reason I booked it was I thought the rooftop bar would afford a nice view given the location - I refuse to pay to get into a bar at a hotel in staying at. The Wit it is again.

Redeemed Jun 13, 2016 11:51 pm

We just had a 2 night stay at the property this past weekend. We had reserved the corner studio room. When I attempted to do online check in the only room option I was given was for a "King Vista" room- a room type that actually had a lower per night rate. We decided to wait til arrival to check in. We arrived early (11 am) and were told there was a room ready for us and that we had been upgraded to a "King Suite". However upon arriving at the room it was an ordinary king room and there was nothing "suite" about it. We returned to the front desk and inquired about having the room type we reserved. A second front desk agent (less friendly now) said that he was going to give us the largest room they had available- a king suite. WE accepted this. Note: the views of the corner studio posted above are preferable to the view we had (looking across the river to the Trump tower) so not sure how much of an upgrade this was. However the room was very nice, quite spacious, and furnishings were top notch.

Some other observations: many staff around to direct you- most were quite pleasant, housekeeping did a good job, soundproofing was good, breakfast in the bar area was nice. The employees are rather lax about collecting complimentary breakfast certificates (such as the ones we were given for Diamond Breakfast). There is a "Corner Bakery" just across the elevator bank on the first floor of the hotel which was quite convenient for a reasonably priced lunch. The location is great.

No folio under the door morning of check out. Called the front desk and they said it would be emailed.- Still have not received it. The charges pending on my credit card are several hundred dollars more than the room rate and we did not charge anything else to the room. A call to the hotel today promised to get back to me but so far I have not heard back. The stay is not at all visible under my HHonors account although it was present for months prior to the actual stay. I am not able to view the folio or see the points earned. Will need to check into this.