Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Old Dec 23, 98, 6:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Living and working in and around NY, I'm not that familiar with the hotels here.

I have to stay overnight in the city in early January, and I have a choice between a towers room at the NY Hilton, or a standard room at the Waldorf...basically the same price and distance.

any opinions?

Thanks. Dave
Old Dec 24, 98, 1:08 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
comfort wise: NY Hilton

for the memory: Waldorf
Old Dec 24, 98, 1:17 pm
Original Member

NJDavid:

Could you post comments on your stay at either hotel as I was thinking of staying
there, too. And I'm asked myself the same
question, NY Hilton vs. Waldorf.

Thanks,
sggolf
Old Dec 26, 98, 10:38 am
Commander Catcop

Comparing the two Hilton properties... it depends on what you want -- a basic room or an experience like Rudi suggested.

I've stayed at Both. Waldorf has nice architecture but personally was not overwhelmed with the room or the service. A
lot of people like this place, I like the Plaza or St. Regis.

As for the Hilton -- it's very convience (right in the heart of midtown) with good
service but it's a very very large convention like hotel and very crowded during trade shows. Rooms are basic, the Towers are better if you can get upgraded (it has one of the highest occupancy rates in the city.)
If I have to stay overnight and can get a great rate -- I generally end up at this Hilton.

There's a third Hilton in town -- the Millenium Hilton across from the World Trade Center. Yes, it's out of the way of most anything but several subways are right outside and I like the smallness of the hotel
(and the views of Jersey City!) This property often has special rates and I;ve stayed at half the rate of typical NYC.

My main grevience with the Millenium Hilton is that they often forget to credit me for my
stays!

One BIG piece of advice: Check out Hilton's website under specials for HHonors members.
You can get a good deal on NYC and other properties.

Let us know what you decide NJDAVID. CATMAN

Old Dec 29, 98, 8:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
All of the comments were pretty much the same:

NY Hilton for the comfort, Waldorf for the memory and ambience.

Well...I'll be checking-in at 9pm. All I need is a clean, comfortable room where I can get some sleep and take a shower on a day I have to be at my office before dawn. Not that much time to make memories. It'll be the NY Hilton with a confirmed towers upgrade.

Dave
Old Dec 30, 98, 10:56 pm
Original Member

I have to disagree respectfully with Catman's favourable opinion of the Plaza. I was quite disappointed and now stay at the Waldorf exclusively.

I had a long business trip to NYC in December and therefore brought along my fiancée. We were sent to a room where the door would not open. After calling reception and waiting for 15 minutes, a bellman took us to another room. This on had no heating. Next, he took us (remember we are dragging along our luggage) to a tiny decrepit old room with no operating TV or bathtub. The FOURTH room had some other problem that I have blissfully forgotten.

Finally, after a complaint to the manager we were upgraded to a nice suite. All seemed to be well.

That Sunday we asked the Plaza concierge for a brunch recommendation. He highly recommended Tavern on the Green and made reservations for us. He said we had to be sure to dress very nicely, as it was quite formal. So we don our finery and proceed to the WORST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER. After waiting forty five minutes (what kind of pull does this demonstrate for the Plaza concierge?) among t-shirt clad tourists (so much for formal!) we were taken to a table and served a truly inedible appetizer. This was the only time in my life I have simply left a restaurant. This would not be the fault of the Plaza had the Concierge not recommended it as one of the finer dining experiences available.

End of rant.

Old Jan 3, 99, 5:54 pm
Commander Catcop

HongKong Flyer: I should have noted that I stayed at the Plaza in 1989.

It has gone through several owners since then so the quality may have declined.

But thanks for the review. My friend Holly
wants to come up to see Pavarotti in TOSCA (IF I GET TICKETS) in March and wants to stay at the PLAZA. I think I will look elsewhere
(Personally, I prefer the Hilton Rock Center
or the Marriotts or the Millenium Hilton.)

Another hotel I was impressed with (though it's small The Westin Central Park West.
A former Ritz Carlton, I believe where the Freddie's were handed out last year. Nice furnishing, the typical Westin quality experience. That might be worth a try for those looking for a more "luxury hotel" experience. CATMAN
Old Jan 4, 99, 5:30 am
Original Member
Original Poster

NY Hilton Towers Room:

Nice. Plain. Underwhelming. Decent sized room by Manhattan hotel standards (on the small size compared to most of the US). Most of the expected amenities - coffee maker, two 2-line phones with data ports, hair dryer, mini bar ($3.50 for potato chips, yeah right), clean comfortable king bed, desk, easy-chair. The full size bath (sheet) towels were a positive suprise, the lack of a bathrobe a negative one.

Check in in the Towers Lounge was a breeze. I was questioned if I flew in on CO when I showed my one-pass card to double dip. I said no, and I'm prepared for a later fight on this point and on asking for the double miles promotion that begins today (the 4th) when I checked out.

Four glorious hours of sleep then off to work at 4am to cover the first day of EURO trading.

Dave
Old Jan 4, 99, 8:50 am
Commander Catcop

NJDavid... sometimes a few hours of glorious sleep is the best thing about staying in NYC (for me it would be short turnarounds of under 12 hours or when I see a show in town and can't get to Jerzee and back for work.)

In my case, I avoid meowing cats, phone calls, interruptions, etc and can sleep till about a half hour before work, shower and then hop a cab to my job.

And earn Hilton or Marriott or Westin points in my sleep. CATMAN
Old Jan 8, 99, 11:20 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Web site showed standard HH points, called HHonors customer service, spoke to a rep who said I didn't qualify, asked for a supervisor, waited on hold, and was then told by the same rep that the double points will be added.
Old Jan 8, 99, 1:26 pm
Commander Catcop

I'm not sure about this NJDavid but maybe Hilton's going to add the double points at the END of the promotion?

Which would seem dumb because it would be easier to give you the double points at time of reservation.

Has anyone received double credit already?
CATMAN
Old Oct 12, 00, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in or near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Plan to go to Philadelphia later this month several days, and would like to head up to NY city for the weekend. However, when I tried to call hhonors this morning to book any reward reservation, it seemed like most Hilton NY City hotels are not accepting HHonors pts. Any suggestions?? Also, the Hiltons in NY City always steep prices, so I would also like to consider Newark, NJ area??
Anyone been at the Newark Gateway Hilton or any othe Hilton in NJ area?? any help, idea will be great!!

Helen =)
Old Oct 13, 00, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Check the Hilton website frequently. I stayed at the Millenium Hilton (across from the World Trade Center) in late August for $149 per nite (Thursday - Sunday). It just depends on your timing. NJ is rather inconvenient if you chiefly want to see the sights in the city.
Old Oct 13, 00, 10:32 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, I have! :0

Newark Gateway Hilton- It's a miss for sure!

Hilton Short Hills- Literally one of the best of all the Hilton US properties.

Yet these are not in Manhattan/NYC by any stretch of the imagination and so I'd try the Millenium Hilton which often has outstanding weekend bargain rates as has been noted!

Best of luck and if I can help, please just ask! Have a great weekend- and when you visit too!

Old Oct 13, 00, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Thank you ILuvParis and Doc!! Your encouraging words def. put me on the right track - the one to go back and continue search for a NY Manhattan Hilton and will keep a close eye on Millenium. Been w/ Hilton yr after yrs, but in popular cities, like London (for us in Sept), Toyko (trying to plan next yr) and now NY, award stays just not easy to find. But, advices like yours are golden!! Thanks, and always a pleasure to hear from Doc!!

Helen =)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: