Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Old Jun 14, 2001, 2:53 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
ClassicalGal

HH Times Square doesn't have an Exec flr, but rooms are newer, brighter, and spacious. Not sure about the other one has Exec flr.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 7:09 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
The NY hilton is *not* a good property. I'd say the Hilton Time Square is much nicer, despite the lack of a club floor.

If you can, stay at the Waldorf...
Old Jun 14, 2001, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Wow, the last time I was at the Hilton NY on a weekend, the Executive Lounge was packed and a line to get in - its a big room too. Why would they do that? The TS Hilton gives you coupons for breakfast in their lobby restaurant.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 8:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Hilton HHonors Properties in New York at Times Square

Hey Gang,

My partner and I are planning a Labor Day holiday in NYC and I plan to use some HHonors points for the stay. What Hilton (all their partner properties as well) property in the Times Square/Midtown area would you recommend we stay at?

I am only a GOLD member... and do not expect any upgrades.

Thanks

William
Old Jun 14, 2001, 10:17 am

Was at the Doubletree Times Square over Memorial Day weekend and wrote a quick report. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001903.html

Old Jun 14, 2001, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Times Square Hilton would be another good bet. Many FTers have stayed there in the last few months and they typically have treated people fairly well, including suite upgrades for gold. On the other hand, at the DoubleTree, you don't have to worry about such upgrades because it is an all suite hotel (a former Embassy Suites). Check out the weekend rates at both hotels, they are often very reasonably priced.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 3:23 pm

I was just at the NY Hilton a few days ago and was very disappointed that the exec lounge was closed for "summer" hours". As far as I am concerned, other than lounge, the NY Hilton has no redeeming feature whatsoever, IMHO, of course.

I have always been treated very well by the Times Square Hilton but have decided to broaden my horizons somewhat and build up my status with SPG. The two Sheratons near the NY Hilton are not very nice but I booked a couple of nights at the Sheraton Russell at 37th and Park, which is actually a charming boutique hotel. Incidentally, Starwood is not charging an energy surcharge in NYC.
Old Jun 15, 2001, 12:46 am

Times Square Hilton is not bad. Just returned from there yesterday. Love the lounge/restaurant in the lobby. Nice meeting place.
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:01 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
The Hilton/TS is a good bet. Also, because it starts so high up, the rooms are all fairly quiet...
Old Jun 18, 2001, 12:55 am

NY Hilton used to be my home away from home. I finally gave up on the inconsistent service, perpetually out of service elevators, and try-your-luck climate control.

I've had no problems as TS Hilton. Location is great -- near the subway, lots of action, plenty to do with free time. Service is excellent. Room quality is top-notch. Gold breakfast is OK (free continental breakfast in restaurant or $10 credit for something more).

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:15 am

Well, I kept my reservation for the NY Hilton, as there wasn't reward availability at Times Square when I wanted it. I'm ready to put in a good word for the NY Hilton. I just returned from a two-night reward stay, and yes, the executive lounge is currently closed on the weekends, and that does suck, but the friendly desk clerk gave me and my companion two tickets each for continental breakfast in the NY Marketplace restaurant, which is large, busy yet efficient (there's a substantial and good buffet breakfast available). We also got coupons good for free soft drinks or discount off cocktails in either of the two lobby-level bars.

We got a nice room on the 28th floor (non-smoking floor) facing 6th Ave. Not overly large, but OK. Location is great, of course, for Midtown activities (my companion loved being a few blocks away from St. Patrick's Cathedral for Sunday services). The concierges, though busy, helped us on several occasions. We had no problems with the elevators...

No energy surcharges showed up on my promptly-delivered bill.

My only complaint is that it costs $1.50 to make any kind of phone call from the room (local, 800, calling card, etc.). That should be abolished.

All in all, a good stay.

[This message has been edited by ClassicalGal (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old Jun 18, 2001, 4:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ClassicalGal:

&lt;snip&gt;

No energy surcharges showed up on my promptly-delivered bill.

My only complaint is that it costs $1.50 to make any kind of phone call from the room (local, 800, calling card, etc.). That should be abolished.

All in all, a good stay.

</font>
I am very surprised to here that that there was no energy surcharge on your bill. I have undertaken a half dozen or so stays at the NY Hilton over the last two months, and these charges have appeared on my bill each and every time. My last stay was on 6/11 and I once again had to insist that they be removed. I cannot help but wonder whether this was an anomaly or has Hilton finally come to their senses.

Incidentally, when the executive lounge is open, one of the two phones contained therein will permit you to make all of your calls without any additional phone surcharges.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 5:16 pm

Which NYC Hilton property would you choose?

Hey Gang,

Thanks for all the previous suggestions... both here and in email. We will be going to NYC for the US Open and the theatre over Labor Day.

Have it narrowed down to two properties... and I have stayed at neither one. Can you let me know which you would choose:

1. Times Square Hilton

2. Waldorf Astoria

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

William
Old Jun 18, 2001, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I personally would try the TS Hilton, although I haven't stayed there either. The location would seem to be better for walking to Broadway theaters and the area in general would be more fun (IMHO) and more casual. Of course it depends on what you are looking for.

I have stayed at the Waldorf only twice for business meetings and both times I was a bit disappointed. The first time was years ago and I was given a small room that could have used some renovation. I was put off by their "dress code" for public areas. They gave out a little booklet that advised what apparel was inappropriate for the lobby, etc. (sports caps, etc.) I actually changed out of jeans and a t-shirt into slacks and a sweater just to leave my room to get a newspaper. I much prefer a place where I don't feel out of place if I want to dress casually. That, of course, is a matter of choice.

The second time at the Waldorf, I politely told the desk clerk at check-in that I would like a non-smoking room (as was specified in my reservation) because I have an allergic reaction to cigarette smoke. He nodded without saying anything and gave me a key to a small room that had ashtrays all over and the smell of cigarettes. When I went back to the front desk to try again, the attitude was that they just didn't care. I offered to wait for a non-smoking room to be cleaned and they finally found one that would be available in a couple of hours. I was more disturbed by the poor service attitude than by what could have been just an innocent mistake.

The bottom line for me was that the Waldorf seemed a bit pretentious and overpriced, and that the service was not great. If you enjoy a more casual atmosphere, William, I would think the TS Hilton would be better than the Waldorf (it certainly couldn't be worse.) If you like dressing up a lot and a more elegant atmosphere and admittedly some beautiful artwork on the walls, the Waldorf might be your cup of tea.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 5:39 pm

Thanks for the advice WestCoaster.

William

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.