Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Old Apr 4, 2001, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
A new built JFK Hilton is due to open later this year. Any information on the opening date?
Same for Staten Island Hilton Garden Inn...
Old Jun 2, 2001, 10:44 am

Hilton Times Square or Embassy Suites?

I am going to be in New York City for 3 nights in July. I have always liked Embassy Suites, but the idea of staying in Times Square and being able to walk to plays in appealing. Any thoughts on which is the better hotel. Also, I am a gold, at which hotel am I more likely to receive an upgrade?
Thank you.
Old Jun 2, 2001, 10:57 am

I haven't stayed at either of the hotels you mentioned, but why not stay at the Doubletree Suites in Times Square? Not to sure about an upgrade there (they argue that ALL of their rooms are suites, which is true), but you might snag a good view or corner room. You should also get a free buffet breakfast (approx $15 value). Our room had a good view of the 1/2 price broadway ticket line, so I was able to see when it got short enough to give it a try!
Old Jun 2, 2001, 11:14 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was just at the Hilton Times Square. I liked it quite a bit and would definitely stay there again - staff was very good. The lobby is on the 23rd (?) floor and they gave me a room on 40-something with a view of the river. Golds receive $14 a person toward breakfast in their restaurant. Some people have complained that the breakfast prices are too high, but my $14 pretty much covered a waffle and orange juice. Rooms are relatively large.
Old Jun 2, 2001, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I agree with both of the suggestions thus far enunciated. It doesn't sound like the Embassy Suites is located anywhere close to where you want to be. In addition, as I have posted previously, I have some reservations about this particular property, which preclude me from making reservations there. If staying in a suite is of paramount importance, then the DoubleTree would be a good bet. Incidentally, at one point in the distant past, this property actually was an Embassy Suites.

If staying in a suite is of less importance, the Times Square Hilton would also be a good choice. To the best of my knowledge, nearly all of the rooms boast spectacular views. The hotel has been open for less than a year so I would think that most of the rooms should be in reasonably good shape. Whereas I don't much care for the restaurant, I have always found the front-desk staff to be particularly pleasant and accommodating. Many FTers opted to stay there during the Catman Do Trois and were treated very well.

Although I am currently on the cusp of diamond, my prior gold status was always recognized and I was rewarded with suite upgrades on two occasions. Your chances will be improved on weekends if you check in reasonably early. Incidentally, this hotel was originally conceived as a DoubleTree before morphing into its current incarnation as a Hilton.
Old Jun 2, 2001, 1:31 pm

morgan1929, welcome to FT!

The Times Square Hilton is not just closer to TS, it is practically on top of it. It is across the street from a few theatres, and easy access to subway.

MHO: Forget Embassy Suites ... too far away.

You'll have a better chance of upgrade @ TS Hilton. The hotel pulls a list of Golds & Diamonds each day, and typically gives upgrade priority to those on the list who are regulars there. Also, suites sell out during the summer. Best thing to do is to call ahead and politely request an upgrade. Non-suites on Executive floors have water & coffee in-room. If you can't get a suite, ask for a view of the south.

There is no Executive Lounge. Golds a coupon for either their (measly) Continental Breakfast or a $10 credit towards other overprices breakfast items.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old Jun 12, 2001, 8:44 pm

NY Hilton, Embassy Suites or Something Else?

Looking for advice/recommendations for a NYC hotel. Here's my criteria:

1)Must be under $200 for the night so I can use MBNA points.
2)Has to be an AA partner so I can get to 20/20.
Those are the only musts. We will be arriving late on a Friday and Saturday we will going to a play and the NBA store.
I'd like a Hilton for the 50K promo but the only ones under $200 are the NY Hilton and Embassy. I really don't want to stay in the Financial District and I've been to the Hilton and thought it was a dump. Could stay at the Courtyard or Renaissance. They both have deals. I really want to stay at Doubletree but the rates are too high.

So now that I've rambled on, what are your thoughts?
Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Pat H:
Looking for advice/recommendations for a NYC hotel. Here's my criteria:

1)Must be under $200 for the night so I can use MBNA points.
2)Has to be an AA partner so I can get to 20/20.
Those are the only musts. We will be arriving late on a Friday and Saturday we will going to a play and the NBA store.
I'd like a Hilton for the 50K promo but the only ones under $200 are the NY Hilton and Embassy. I really don't want to stay in the Financial District and I've been to the Hilton and thought it was a dump. Could stay at the Courtyard or Renaissance. They both have deals. I really want to stay at Doubletree but the rates are too high.

So now that I've rambled on, what are your thoughts?
</font>
Don't know why you are against the WTC Hilton- I think it is by far their nicest property in NYC and threy were greeat with an upgrade for gold - usually easier on a weekend - subways were very convenient to everywhere...and taxis were cheap from the theatre district...
Old Jun 13, 2001, 11:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The financial district Hilton is a quick subway ride from just about anyplace you want to go. You should reconsider staying down there. there's something to be said for getting away from Times Square too.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
This is all very confusing. The New York Hilton is on 6th Avenue in mid town and recently renovated. The Times Square Hilton is new and on 42nd Street. The Millenium Hilton is across the street from the World Trade Center. It appears THIS is the one you are calling a dump. (I disagree with that assessment too - maybe you just got a bad room) My preferences, in order, would be the Millenium, Times Square and New York. The Millenium is great because the subway is right outside the front door (and there's a Krispy Creme across the street!!). I stay wherever I can get the cheapest rate and grab at anything less than $200. The Embassey Suites is not particularly convenient to anything.

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old Jun 13, 2001, 2:06 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All you note are fine and it's primarily a location thing as far as I'm concerned, since many, many NYC hotels will be available over the weekend summers for about half price or $200- even less! Enjoy your trip!

Here's a sample for this weekend in NYC of fine hotels for under $200:

Hotel Price *

Roger Williams Hotel $169.00
Casablanca Hotel $159.00
Hotel Metro $155.00
Salisbury Hotel $179.00
Warwick Hotel $175.00
Barbizon Hotel $179.00
W New York The Court $179.00
Swissotel New York - The Drake $169.00
Doral Park Avenue $169.00
Dumont Plaza $168.00
W New York $179.00
W New York The Tuscany $199.00
Empire Hotel $169.00
Eastgate Tower Suite Hotel $158.00
Algonquin Hotel $195.00
Flatotel International $155.00
Southgate Tower $178.00
Millennium Hotel NY Broadway $169.00
Morgans Hotel $179.00
Omni Berkshire Place $199.00
Paramount Hotel $159.00
Crowne Plaza at the U.N. $159.00
Shoreham Hotel $179.00
The Sheraton Manhattan $179.00
Royalton $199.00
Michelangelo Hotel $195.00
The Avalon $169.00
Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel $179.00
Martinique on Broadway $179.00
The Time Hotel $169.00
Holiday Inn Wall Street $199.00
Hotel Sofitel New York $199.00
Hudson $169.00
The Muse $190.00
Embassy Suites NYC $169.00
Le Parker Meridien $199.00
Wyndham Garden Hotel LGA $155.00
Broadway Plaza $169.00
Tribeca Grand Hotel $199.00
Radisson Hotel NY East Side $189.00

www.quikbook.com

Old Jun 13, 2001, 4:28 pm

It was the Hilton on 6th Ave. where we stayed and the room was one of the worst I've ever stayed in. If it's been renovated, then maybe it's worth another try. There were no rooms at the Millenium Hilton and Times Square did not rooms under $200.

This used to be an easy decision for me.....just take the most reasonable, decent hotel but now that I'm addicted to getting FF miles, it's a monumental task.

Doc, thanks for the quikbook site. I wasn't familiar with it.

Old Jun 14, 2001, 1:01 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
I just spent three nights at the NY Hilton on 6th. Ugh!! If you like putting up with elevators that on a regular basis just stop working and reduced services (the Exc. Lounge) is now closed on the weekends, and paying over $200 a night for a room, well then.....you'll love this hotel. Perhaps I can also interest you in some of my beach front property in Iowa.
All this and I am a Diamond Level member....

------------------
UA1K, m/m AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Starwood Gld.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 1:11 am

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
NY Hilton....ugh!

I have almost been living for the past several months at the NY Hilton (6th Ave).
While I am a Diamon member, I have received unremarkable service.

I have had to manage the elevators not working (and not being repaired for several days). There is the general attitude of the staff, add this to the fact that they have now closed the Executive Lounge on the weekend and laid off some of the staff in the lounge...well you get the picture.

The Hyatt and Sheraton hotels in the area all still have 7-day a week lounges for breakfast etc...but not the Hitlon.

My office is asking if I can fly and stay over a Saturday to save money. I guess I'll be voting with my feet and staying at other hotels.

------------------
UA1K, m/m AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Starwood Gld.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 2:46 am

Are the exec. lounges open on the weekends at the Millennium & Times Square? If so, I'm switching my reservation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.