Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

No on demand stuff in the Middle East?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond

I've just been at the Conrad Dubai, and am currently at the Hilton Salalah.

One thing I've noticed, is there has been nothing on demand. I can't remember if this coincides with other places I've been, but right now I'd love to settle down after a day at the pool with an OD movie.

After calling reception, and the girl having absolutely no idea what I was talking about, I came to the conclusion that maybe it's not a thing here?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Until you mentioned the movie I didn't have any idea either, I thought you were referring to flowers, chocolates, wine, extra pillows etc on arrival. Out of curiosity, what else is there behind TV/Movies which can be "on demand" ?

And also out of curiosity, how is the Salalah property these days?

SB
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had assumed that the thread was about forgotten toiletries such as toothbrushes.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbams
Out of curiosity, what else is there behind TV/Movies which can be "on demand" ?
Umm, dunno? Pretty much all Hilton properties I've stayed in offer movies through the menu button, but these TVs don't.

Originally Posted by sbams
And also out of curiosity, how is the Salalah property these days?
It's nice here, for 4,000/night, it's pretty amazing value...almost free
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Is there that much demand for pay per view movies in the room nowadays? It would surprise me greatly if the number of hotels offering hasn't dwindled considerably.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Is there that much demand for pay per view movies in the room nowadays? It would surprise me greatly if the number of hotels offering hasn't dwindled considerably.
Exactly, even airlines are considering dropping the weight of on demand entertainment units since most everybody nowadays has a tablet with their pick of movies and tv shows already downloaded.

Even a decade ago, I suspect that most in-room pay-per-view demand was for "adult entertainment", which is obviously blocked in the Gulf states. So hotels out there might never have bothered in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.