Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria - Why no breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria - Why no breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:54 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by loomis
Can you image the cattle call at the 1,400+ room W/A NYC if every Gold/Diamond got free BK?
Indeed... even before Hilton turned WA into its own flag, when it was just the NY property, there was an exception to the elite breakfast benefit for this property... I believe back then they provided an alternate amenity of two drink coupons.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by loomis
I agree with the comments about the perceived exclusivity that Hilton is trying to create with the Waldorf Astoria brand.

Can you image the cattle call at the 1,400+ room W/A NYC if every Gold/Diamond got free BK?
You recognize the irony of putting those two statements together?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Before there was a WA brand, the original NYC property used to give Diamonds a very nice continental breakfast at Oscar's Restaurant, and there were was an average of 150-200 Diamonds on any given night back then, too.
But I also think it's pretty lousy Diamonds are treated that way across the brand.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
HH is my secondary hotel loyalty brand after IHG. I guess as similarly not getting breakfast for free at IHG brands IC/CP/HI , the similar WA lack of brekkie should not be a deal breaker for me.

Just tried Amsterdam and Berlin WA's to date just to see the difference, Amsterdam was good for location but not Berlin and no lounge at either hotel. Easy enough to eat a cheapish bf out though if not raining and not in a hurry

If I compare with IC brand where I usually have lounge and thus some light breakfast offering it is enough to make me avoid the WA brand for anything but a 1night stay

If HH did not give free brekkie on others like DT and Hilton no one would think twice about this.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hilton Chicago has over 1500 rooms and the world hasn't ended.

How many of those Golds/Diamonds are on expense accounts and eating breakfast at the hotel anyhow? Probably most.

WA NY is, ironically, a pretty bad example of a WA property.
Hilton Chicago probably doesn't average as many Diamonds as the Waldorf.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
WA - Exclusive brand?

Has anyone stayed at the Reach in Key West? Other than the beach and pool area amenities, the rooms, staffing and overall service are more in line with a motel chain. It has been several years since I have stayed at the nearby Casa Marina, question if it currently meets WA standards.

Agree that Hilton is able to burn lots of points with award stays at both properties, doubt there are many repeat stays at the Reach.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by diver858
Has anyone stayed at the Reach in Key West? Other than the beach and pool area amenities, the rooms, staffing and overall service are more in line with a motel chain. It has been several years since I have stayed at the nearby Casa Marina, question if it currently meets WA standards.

Agree that Hilton is able to burn lots of points with award stays at both properties, doubt there are many repeat stays at the Reach.
WA absolutely is not a luxury brand by any means. I view it as more of an entry level luxury, and the rates normally reflect that and are almost always lower than Ritz/FS/MO/St.R properties within a market. There are some exceptions of course like Chicago, Amsterdam, and Roosevelt New Orleans; but in general, one will find several "gaps" in service (such as Arizona Biltmore, no turn down, robes, slippers without asking numerous times) or hard product shortfalls (Key West, El Conquistador) at WA properties that would not be found in a real luxury hotel such as a Ritz, Four Seasons, St. Regis, or even most Conrads.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I'm also annoyed by the lack of breakfast at WA. But to be honest, I just wish they had executive lounges (or clubs or whatever you want to call it).

I'm definitely a Conrad fan - and I'd take one of those over a WA every time whenever I can.

To me, the Cavalieri and Park City WA are the only two that I put on the truest "luxury" level...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:10 am
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
I totally agree. Most Conrads are way better and more service oriented than W=A. For me W=A's are rather too snobish and overpriced hotels with lower service level than Conrad.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:26 am

Anyone know what is the diamond breakfast benefit for Waldorf Orlando? Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Current posting on the breakfast thread wiki is that elites receive nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
"Exclusivity of product and brand" is hardly something critical in their marketing, especially US airlines.
It may have mattered once upon a time but now the US Air market has been democratized so much that the US Airlines are simply flying buses and as one pilot friend told me, he views himself now as simply a “skilled bus driver”.

Who would’ve thought there would be a day when you could fly roundtrip across the pacific for $400?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Current posting on the breakfast thread wiki is that elites receive nothing.
Wiki report is almost certainly outdated, since effective this year, Hilton now requires W/A to provide a breakfast benefit.

I'd expect a $10 per person credit and be pleasantly surprised with anything more.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wiki report is almost certainly outdated, since effective this year, Hilton now requires W/A to provide a breakfast benefit.

I'd expect a $10 per person credit and be pleasantly surprised with anything more.
Right, right - forgot about that change as I haven't stayed at a WA in some time.

I just checked over on TA and it looks like the benefit is a free continental buffet spread, of which a couple posters spoke very positively, with an upcharge of $15 to the full breakfast. Color me impressed, by US standards...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:25 pm

Great! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.