Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London ExCel {GBR}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London ExCel {GBR}

Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by aks120
I stayed here for night prior to an early flight out of London City.

I was originally given one of the big suite rooms that you had to go through the restaurant to get to - a little weird but the room was OK. I actually changed to be one nearer the lifts and again it was a great big suite.

The room itself is a little dated but the bathroom was fine. The bed was a little hard for me but then I have that issue in a lot of Hiltons!

The bar and restaurant were pretty modern - I ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was a good spread - particularly as it was free as a Diamond member. In the evening I ate in the bar and the food was good - although a little cold which was weird as the bar wad empty- made me think that at the time I ordered (4pm) it was stuff made up to be heated in the kitchen.

I also got a drinks voucher and the bar staff were friendly and it was a nice place to sit for a couple of hours.

I walked from the tube station - that was tricky with a small suitcase, particularly as the pavements are all cobbled (to look pretty) and there was a protest on at the ExCel that I had to avoid. I also walked to the airport in the morning and that was a nice 20 min walk.

All in all it was a solid hotel - with limited atmosphere but I would likely stay here again if the price was right.

Regards

aks120
Yep, if the weather is nice it's quite an interesting walk to the airport from there ........I love standing under the bridge and watching the planes come in, you can almost touch them!......great fun.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:42 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I stayed here for night prior to an early flight out of London City.

I was originally given one of the big suite rooms that you had to go through the restaurant to get to - a little weird but the room was OK. I actually changed to be one nearer the lifts and again it was a great big suite.

The room itself is a little dated but the bathroom was fine. The bed was a little hard for me but then I have that issue in a lot of Hiltons!

The bar and restaurant were pretty modern - I ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was a good spread - particularly as it was free as a Diamond member. In the evening I ate in the bar and the food was good - although a little cold which was weird as the bar wad empty- made me think that at the time I ordered (4pm) it was stuff made up to be heated in the kitchen.

I also got a drinks voucher and the bar staff were friendly and it was a nice place to sit for a couple of hours.

I walked from the tube station - that was tricky with a small suitcase, particularly as the pavements are all cobbled (to look pretty) and there was a protest on at the ExCel that I had to avoid. I also walked to the airport in the morning and that was a nice 20 min walk.

All in all it was a solid hotel - with limited atmosphere but I would likely stay here again if the price was right.

Regards

aks120
Unless something has radically changed you don't NEED to walk through the restaurant to get to any of the guest rooms. There are two sets of elevators, one on either side of the restaurant. You can get to all the guest rooms by taking the elevators near reception and walking the long hall on the floor. When leaving your room, ignore the closer elevator and walk back to the elevators by reception.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by stc
Unless something has radically changed you don't NEED to walk through the restaurant to get to any of the guest rooms. There are two sets of elevators, one on either side of the restaurant. You can get to all the guest rooms by taking the elevators near reception and walking the long hall on the floor. When leaving your room, ignore the closer elevator and walk back to the elevators by reception.
I was directed to do so and the sign in the restaurant looked like it had been there for a while - the room was 845. In the round tower think at the side!

aks120
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:39 am
Original Poster

I was directed to do so and the sign in the restaurant looked like it had been there for a while - the room was 845. In the round tower think at the side!

aks120
Just completed a one night stay with a £66 Hilton Honors Sale Rate .
Preupgraded 24 hrs before arrival to Queen Suite (947)
Area quiet as no event on at Excel .
Nice stroll (in reality got lost lol)
Friendly check in - cookie ,drinks voucher for the bar (even a choice of spirits !) and a 1,000 points voucher if spending £25 on food or drinks in the hotel
There’s some work going on in the hotel and several contractors around and drilling at 5pm
Suite IMHO bit tired and worn
Two rooms (small bedroom )
Bathroom is shower only only with a temporary shower curtain replacing the shower door which cheapens the look Smaller C&E toiletries than other Doubletrees
Housekeeping standards not the best - wardrobe has old candy wrapper and a few long hairs and kitchenette area and pull out sofa require a deep clean
Microwave ,fridge and toaster and crockery and cutlery .
TV is poor and only a few channels compared to other Doubletrees
Heating thermostat appears non functioning - rather than move (was late) a large oil filled radiator and bathroom delivered to the room but kept bedroom toasty , good bed and had a good sleep !
Had to leave at 6.30 - given a bag to fill by very helpful breakfast staff . Very good selection of hot and cold food available better than Greenwich .
Overall room a bit tired , staff great and good area for watching City airport departures .
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
Just completed a one night stay with a £66 Hilton Honors Sale Rate .
Preupgraded 24 hrs before arrival to Queen Suite (947)
Area quiet as no event on at Excel .
Nice stroll (in reality got lost lol)
Friendly check in - cookie ,drinks voucher for the bar (even a choice of spirits !) and a 1,000 points voucher if spending £25 on food or drinks in the hotel
There’s some work going on in the hotel and several contractors around and drilling at 5pm
Suite IMHO bit tired and worn
Two rooms (small bedroom )
Bathroom is shower only only with a temporary shower curtain replacing the shower door which cheapens the look Smaller C&E toiletries than other Doubletrees
Housekeeping standards not the best - wardrobe has old candy wrapper and a few long hairs and kitchenette area and pull out sofa require a deep clean
Microwave ,fridge and toaster and crockery and cutlery .
TV is poor and only a few channels compared to other Doubletrees
Heating thermostat appears non functioning - rather than move (was late) a large oil filled radiator and bathroom delivered to the room but kept bedroom toasty , good bed and had a good sleep !
Had to leave at 6.30 - given a bag to fill by very helpful breakfast staff . Very good selection of hot and cold food available better than Greenwich .
Overall room a bit tired , staff great and good area for watching City airport departures .
I love the area as I used to spend time around silvertown as a kid.......if I've had a day to myself I've even driven down for the day from Norwich just to walk around the royal docks and Thames barrier park ( pontoon dock DLR ) , standing by Connaught bridge watching the planes come in is quite exhilarating too.
Glad you had a reasonable stay but it's a shame there is no lounge there .
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:04 pm

Has anyone else stayed here recently? I see on the Hilton website that the hotel is undergoing soft refurbishment, not too sure what to expect. I've noticed that they've made their suites unavailable online for now until January (well, at least the dates I checked) so I'm not too hopeful about an upgrade. We're staying there at the end of Dec, which should be nice.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by zappy312
Has anyone else stayed here recently? I see on the Hilton website that the hotel is undergoing soft refurbishment, not too sure what to expect. I've noticed that they've made their suites unavailable online for now until January (well, at least the dates I checked) so I'm not too hopeful about an upgrade. We're staying there at the end of Dec, which should be nice.
I stayed last month. It was alright, but I think I prefer the Hampton, which still feels new.

I was given an UG to a 1-bed suite, which was nice, though a bit tired. Not surprising that the suites are having a makeover! The lift and some areas of the hotel clearly have the builders in. Given a drinks voucher for the bar. To be fair, the breakfast was very good - the main feature that was clearly better than the Hampton.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I stayed last month. It was alright, but I think I prefer the Hampton, which still feels new.

I was given an UG to a 1-bed suite, which was nice, though a bit tired. Not surprising that the suites are having a makeover! The lift and some areas of the hotel clearly have the builders in. Given a drinks voucher for the bar. To be fair, the breakfast was very good - the main feature that was clearly better than the Hampton.
Hmm, I ended up cancelling my reservation at the Hampton to switch to the DT as the rate was a little lower and there's free parking. That makes sense then that the suites might be getting a makeover, I guess I'll hope for an upgrade to a refurbished suite then.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Lot of room renovations going on here, some of the lower floors are completed, but higher floors and suites will be a bit longer yet. Have a reservation in a couple of weeks, am hoping for a nice, newly refurbished suite with an airport view.... but they might not be ready by then!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Here next weekend if anyone is about.

The suites are still in refurb, will be another few weeks. Reception staff are very helpful and pro-active with upgrades otherwise though.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Any views on staying here vs Doubletree Greenwich on Saturday. I will be house hunting with my wife all weekend so somewhere calm and relaxing is what we need. Am Hilton Gold
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
Any views on staying here vs Doubletree Greenwich on Saturday. I will be house hunting with my wife all weekend so somewhere calm and relaxing is what we need. Am Hilton Gold
Good question, excel is usually cheaper when you consider the free parking (£17 at Greenwich ) but it's a hard call........to be honest I've always found the area around excel relaxing with some nice walks around the old dock area, if you book a river view room it's very nice,
The restaurant is good and usually quiet, if you get a window seat you can see across the old Victoria dock.
That said....... Greenwich is nice too, I've heard good reports about the restaurant food and the decor in the bar is boutique........ oh, and they are generous with upgrades
if you are driving excel is definitely easier to reach as you won't have to cross the Thames ( Blackwell tunnel is a nightmare if you catch it wrong ) ........ its your call but they are both great hotels
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wizla

Good question, excel is usually cheaper when you consider the free parking (£17 at Greenwich ) but it's a hard call........to be honest I've always found the area around excel relaxing with some nice walks around the old dock area, if you book a river view room it's very nice,
The restaurant is good and usually quiet, if you get a window seat you can see across the old Victoria dock.
That said....... Greenwich is nice too, I've heard good reports about the restaurant food and the decor in the bar is boutique........ oh, and they are generous with upgrades
if you are driving excel is definitely easier to reach as you won't have to cross the Thames ( Blackwell tunnel is a nightmare if you catch it wrong ) ........ its your call but they are both great hotels
IMHO the rooms are better at the Doubletree Greenwich - if you can snag a high floor the better and the bathroom showers are far superior there as well and DLR transport much preffered
Breakfast and comp drinks for me as a Diamond better at Excel though...
More places to eat out near in Deptford (finally getting trendy lol)
Good luck and if you're house hunting in London you should be able to stay at the Conrad ha !
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:30 pm

Have never stayed at the DT Excel, but spent 5 days last November at the DT Greenwich. As a Diamond, was upgraded to one of the top floor rooms and felt it was merely 'OK' - actually it was fairly small IMO. Ate only once at the restaurant, mainly because it was just overpriced, ordinary grub. The Front Desk rarely answered phones and was staffed solely by non-locals who mostly knew diddly squat about the neighborhood.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
IMHO the rooms are better at the Doubletree Greenwich - if you can snag a high floor the better and the bathroom showers are far superior there as well and DLR transport much preffered
Breakfast and comp drinks for me as a Diamond better at Excel though...
More places to eat out near in Deptford (finally getting trendy lol)
Good luck and if you're house hunting in London you should be able to stay at the Conrad ha !
its funny that this " what's better " question has come up........I have the Doubletree Greenwich booked for Monday night as I have a gig to do up west, however I'm thinking about changing to Excel as it's £40 cheaper and no £17 parking fee or the dreaded blackwall tunnel to deal with both days.
I love Greenwich and I'm hoping to meet some friends at the rose of Denmark late afternoon so I guess I should stick with the original booking........will see but I'm tempted.

Last edited by wizla; Feb 14, 2018 at 2:55 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.