Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Executive rooms with and without breakfast??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class

Why do some hotels sell executive rooms with OR without breakfast?? It always surprises me seeing 'with or without BF' rates in hotels that don't open their lounge for breakfast during weekends or holiday periods anyway (meaning that you can have the breakfast, that is included in the executive room rate anyway, in the main restaurant). It's not just a Hilton thing, IHG does it aswell. I just don't get it. Does anyone know why hotels offer these higher BF rates? Or is it just a way to make money from guests that aren't aware of the BF benefit of an executive room??
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Why do some hotels sell executive rooms with OR without breakfast?? It always surprises me seeing 'with or without BF' rates in hotels that don't open their lounge for breakfast during weekends or holiday periods anyway (meaning that you can have the breakfast, that is included in the executive room rate anyway, in the main restaurant). It's not just a Hilton thing, IHG does it aswell. I just don't get it. Does anyone know why hotels offer these higher BF rates? Or is it just a way to make money from guests that aren't aware of the BF benefit of an executive room??
Won't just be exec rooms but all room types

In UK the full English cooked breakfast is priced at 4-5 star hotels as circa £25-40 ppm , but the cost of ingredients one can eat would be far far less , say £5-10 (in case one pigs out on smoked salmon at breakfast). Chef/cooking costs are almost zero as just extra bulk cooking of sausages, bacon etc

Typical room rate options include either a separate by inclusive rate OR a tickbox to add as a supplement, good for 2 persons/room, often priced just over cost of one breakfast. Also the more guests eating breakfast the greater the economies of scale as same staff simply prepare/serve more food

This prepaid means guests prepay every night of a multi day stay whereas if hotel leaves guest to choose daily guest often will not eat bf each day. It also helps hotels to have advance knowledge of how much food to cook if majority Re pre booked , as hotel won't want to waste food (which costs money) but if no one prebooks it would be impossible guessing game as to how many guests would eat/pay bf

I personally don't prepay on solo stats as no saving but I do if with a partner at Hotels I don't get free bf
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
They load the rates for a long period without differentiating between weekends/public holidays for hotels that keep their ELs closed. Executive rooms only entitle to breakfast in the lounge if one does not have a status to have it in the restaurant. Some people would prefer to have full breakfast in the restaurant which will come at a cheaper price if pre-paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.